Video: This has an ugly ending coming?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Great points all.

Deterrence..nice word.

I am envious.

I posted in another thread..

( Do not ask me to fact check myself as there are already too many Dak threads)

where I said there is more in play than just Dak and his agent and Jerrah and Stephen.

There is a very powerful labor union in place and they represent all the QBs in the NFL.

They all want to see Dak hold his line on his demands. They also will be negotiating for their own deals. They want to all point to this negotiation and use it as leverage in their deals.

DAK's lawyer wants more clients for more fees.

A lot of powerful people are watching what is happening.

Jerrah has apparently extended his offer already.

Deterrence?

Jerrah has no concept of the ideal. He just buys and sells as he wants.

Not this time. Think Lavion Bell and his deal with Pittsburg. Players are now teaching the owners how to play the game. The owners taught them.

Time to return the favor.

I think there's a lot of uncertainty now.

I bet a lot of the labor union and owners are tired of QBs eating up so much cap. At some point an owner is going to draw a line and say No. Could be Jerry.

McCarthy is another wildcard, as he's supposed to be a QB whisperer, and may prefer drafting his own to get the credit for developing.

I wonder too if Jerry's projections for the NFL cap have changed because of The Thing Which Must Not Be Named, and maybe locking in 100mil+ on a player isn't looking like quite the same wonderful idea with that uncertainty hanging over our heads.

Lots of moving pieces. Exciting times.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
The interesting point with Bell is that as the season carried on players really fell out with him and didn't want him back.

If I was the Cowboys I would withdraw the contract offer, offer a non-exclusive franchise tag to Prescott and draft Hurts in this draft.

If Prescott wants to sit out the season then he can...but I would question how that would sit with other teams next season when you consider that there are 5-6 very good prospects in this years draft, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton and Winston all available plus Lawrence and Fields available next season. A team might want him but they would pay him no way near what we have just offered him and realistically he wouldn't have anywhere near the weapons or O-Line.

Why do people think we have no leverage!?
I agree.

This is playing hardball, not soft ball.

Frankly I do not want Dak leading the team anymore.

I prefer somebody who respects the position of QB of Dallas and the exposure one gets and the money to be made of an career as their QB.

Look what Aikman and Romo have done post career becuz of their credibility.

Dak is pissing that away.

I really do not care about Dak anymore.

I just hope Jerrah does the right thing here.

I do not want to go thru another year like last with Garrett where I wanted us to win..

yet wanted us to lose in order to get rid of Garrett.

Know what I mean?

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I bet a lot of the labor union and owners are tired of QBs eating up so much cap. At some point an owner is going to draw a line and say No. Could be Jerry.

McCarthy is another wildcard, as he's supposed to be a QB whisperer, and may prefer drafting his own to get the credit for developing.

I wonder too if Jerry's projections for the NFL cap have changed because of The Thing Which Must Not Be Named, and maybe locking in 100mil+ on a player isn't looking like quite the same wonderful idea with that uncertainty hanging over our heads.

Very well said.

And who was it that said we were an accident waiting to happen?

Stephen A Smith

A guy who loves to hate us and wants us to sign Dak and blow ourselves up.

That's predictable for sure.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
:facepalm: Jerry didn't get punked by Zeke. Have you ever looked into the details of that deal? It's an extremely team-friendly deal. Tank's deal only looks bad because he had a lower sack total in 2019. He'll do better with the reinforcements he's getting on the DL.

Dak is here to stay. The Cowboys will have a deal done with him shortly after the draft. You seem exasperated over this negotiation process. Why are you allowing yourself to get so emotionally invested with this? It's a big deal but it was always going to get done and you shouldn't have any doubt about that. It will get done. Waiting for the announcement on the edge of your chair week after week will drive you bonkers if you let it. "Moving on" from Dak is not an option.

' "Moving on" from Dak is not an option' is a negotiating attitude which ensures that one gets walked over, and encourages Dak to draw this out to the final second.

I'm exasperated over stupidity, all around, not the lack of a deal.

I've been predicting No Deal and Dak plays on the tag for a long time, so I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat.

But I'm watching Sharpe be more stupid than usual.

Watching Jerry playing it stupid yet again, giving Dak *no reason* to sign early because of Jerry taking No Deal off the table.

Watching Dak refuse to prepare for the season when *he* plans on playing on the tag unless Jerry dumps a billion dollars on his front lawn.

Jerry takes No Deal off the table, while Dak is busy diminishing the value of a Deal.

Who knows. Maybe their goals and intentions are all different than it seems to me. But on its face, it looks like a lot of stupid all around.

p.s. Zeke deal was bad. He's been a steadily diminishing player since his spectacular rookie season. Still a good back, not worth the money, and not worth having Zeke roll you on his rookie contract. Not getting rolled by Zeke would have left greater deterrence in negotiating with Dak now. And evaluation of Zeke's contract should factor in that we *already had* the rights to Zeke for 2019 and 2020. Jerry got totally rolled, paying for what he already owned.

p.p.s Tank's deal looked bad to me *before* the season, though his sack total was even lower than I expected. At least he didn't get injured, which was a large risk for him given his injury history.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

If you would just relax and understand this deal was always going to get done, you wouldn't be experiencing all this "uncertainty". Assuming the brain function of the labor union and owners must be exhausting for you.

And of course, leave it up to you to believe McCarthy says one thing but would actually rather go a completely different direction. :rolleyes:

Your brain is wondering about far too much. No doubt a result of too much idle time on your hands these days. I can relate to that. I too had that issue until I learned to relax and understand these things tend to work themselves out, even without my emotional investment. Chill, my man.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
' "Moving on" from Dak is not an option' is a negotiating attitude which ensures that one gets walked over, and encourages Dak to draw this out to the final second.

I'm exasperated over stupidity, all around, not the lack of a deal.

I've been predicting No Deal and Dak plays on the tag for a long time, so I'm not waiting on the edge of my seat.

But I'm watching Sharpe be more stupid than usual.

Watching Jerry playing it stupid yet again, giving Dak *no reason* to sign early because of Jerry taking No Deal off the table.

Watching Dak refuse to prepare for the season when *he* plans on playing on the tag unless Jerry dumps a billion dollars on his front lawn.

Jerry takes No Deal off the table, while Dak is busy diminishing the value of a Deal.

Who knows. Maybe their goals and intentions are all different than it seems to me. But on its face, it looks like a lot of stupid all around.

p.s. Zeke deal was bad. He's been a steadily diminishing player since his spectacular rookie season. Still a good back, not worth the money, and not worth having Zeke roll you on his rookie contract. Not getting rolled by Zeke would have left greater deterrence in negotiating with Dak now. And evaluation of Zeke's contract should factor in that we *already had* the rights to Zeke for 2019 and 2020. Jerry got totally rolled, paying for what he already owned.

p.p.s Tank's deal looked bad to me *before* the season, though his sack total was even lower than I expected. At least he didn't get injured, which was a large risk for him given his injury history.
LOL, it's your own heart attack you are working on. Have a good day. :) #D4Kgettingpaid

plasticman

Reaction score
Seems to me that if McCarty told Jerry that he was completely in on Dak then there would have been a signed contract.

I love Dak and would like to keep him but he cant be paid like someone that just led his team to the Super Bowl because he didnt. With that said, meet him halfway and I think that a few years from now his contract will look reasonable.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree.

This is playing hardball, not soft ball.

Frankly I do not want Dak leading the team anymore.

I prefer somebody who respects the position of QB of Dallas and the exposure one gets and the money to be made of an career as their QB.

Look what Aikman and Romo have done post career becuz of their credibility.

Dak is pissing that away.

I really do not care about Dak anymore.

I just hope Jerrah does the right thing here.

I do not want to go thru another year like last with Garrett where I wanted us to win..

yet wanted us to lose in order to get rid of Garrett.

Know what I mean?

I’d pay him all the money he wanted if he was as valuable as his agent thinks he is..

The truth is if you put a guy like Andy Dalton on the teams Dak has played on are we that much worse? Like a game or 2 worse?

Dak isn’t going out there and hoisting a team on his shoulders and Dalton had similar team success earlier in his career too.

We are overpaying WR because market.

We are overpaying a DE cause market.

We are overpaying a RB cause market.

Why are we locking ourselves into players that didn’t bring results in optimal conditions?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Is this what happened with Zeke too? Lol.

Hopes abound!

The difference is that Dallas wasn't going to play Elliott during the preseason anyway or at least not much. Generally, you don't want your starting QB holding out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I’d pay him all the money he wanted if he was as valuable as his agent thinks he is..

The truth is if you put a guy like Andy Dalton on the teams Dak has played on are we that much worse? Like a game or 2 worse?

Dak isn’t going out there and hoisting a team on his shoulders and Dalton had similar team success earlier in his career too.

Why are we locking ourselves into players that didn’t bring results in optimal conditions?

I wouldn't call playing under Garrett optimal conditions.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without hearing specific *numbers* from the principals, all the progress talk is just talk.

Has Team Dak ever actually made their own offer, or have they just rejected offers from Jerry?
Exactly. We just don't know how this has played out to this point.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

That is a question one must ask.

If the team already in the last 4 years paid contracts out to help Dak win..

and those contract were competitively obtained in the usual way..

and Dak as the QB could not win with them AND at times his play contributed to some of the losses..

how does making Dak the highest paid player in the NFL play better?

That is a stinker of a question but the answer has to be derived.

Dak will say he believes in himself.

So did Napoleon but he still ended up on Elba.

I just don't eat all of this.

Dak is just no longer a fit with this team anymore. He isn't worthy of taking the fame and history of the franchise back to where it should be.

I fully realize what's in the past is best left in the past. And that everything that is new is not always good.

Dak has no ability to just throw the team on his back and win it all. He has been given chances already and failed.

So now in order to succeed he gets the keys to Jerrah's biggest asset to prove he's the Holy Grail we have been missing at $40plus mil/yr ?

Man I hope not

cern

Reaction score
Given that the front office has put itself in the unenviable position of having no plan b if we don't have dak, they'll eventually have to cave in and sign. The owners have created the monster all by themselves.