This is a run first team and DJ Chark compliments that the most IMO

Jake0

Reaction score

This vid at 1:30 shows he is physical. Flying into a safety (Justin Evans BTW, not some JAG) on a slant and takes it like it's nothing. Dez is one of the most physical WRs in the league. Adding a speed compliment that is also physical is hard to find. Running game is built on wearing down defenses and Chark will help that the most out of any speed WR available by a mile.

LSU is a run first team. He spent his entire college career run blocking, running jet sweeps/reverses. He won't put up the insane numbers but he fits the team identity perfectly. Scouts say he's great at run blocking. The insane speed is obviously priority #1 but the size and physicality aren't traits you normally get in a speed WR.

He comes in and has instant impact as a deep threat, play action threat, run blocker, jet sweeper/reverser. Instead of Lucky Whitehead as the jet sweeper now you have a guy who is also someone who catches passes to keep defenses guessing. Doesn't have to have the best hands, just needs to be able to catch over the shoulder bombs when the rest of the team draws all the attention underneath.

Need to get this guy in the 2nd somehow. Might take a trade up or the David Irving pick if he gets grabbed but he may be available at 50 due to route running, body catching, and not putting up crazy stats in LSU's run first offense. Dez isn't being replaced now, can find that later if necessary.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This vid at 1:30 shows he is physical. Flying into a safety (Justin Evans BTW, not some JAG) on a slant and takes it like it's nothing. Dez is one of the most physical WRs in the league. Adding a speed compliment that is also physical is hard to find. Running game is built on wearing down defenses and Chark will help that the most out of any speed WR available by a mile.

LSU is a run first team. He spent his entire college career run blocking, running jet sweeps/reverses. He won't put up the insane numbers but he fits the team identity perfectly. Scouts say he's great at run blocking. The insane speed is obviously priority #1 but the size and physicality aren't traits you normally get in a speed WR.

He comes in and has instant impact as a deep threat, play action threat, run blocker, jet sweeper/reverser. Instead of Lucky Whitehead as the jet sweeper now you have a guy who is also someone who catches passes to keep defenses guessing. Doesn't have to have the best hands, just needs to be able to catch over the shoulder bombs when the rest of the team draws all the attention underneath.

Need to get this guy in the 2nd somehow. Might take a trade up or the David Irving pick if he gets grabbed but he may be available at 50 due to route running, body catching, and not putting up crazy stats in LSU's run first offense. Dez isn't being replaced now, can find that later if necessary.

Yuck.

Faster version of TWill.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Switzer is faster than our starting group of WR's. FIRST...we need a proven route running wr. Secondly...we need that guy to have good hands...LASTLY...he needs to have the capability of taking the top off defenses and spreading them out. If not,I don't want him. Does Chark do all this? Oh...and we need a guy that can talk the talk and walk the walk in key situational moments,AND NOT VANISH.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Not if the player can't catch the ball.

Alexander Wright
Randal Williams
Teddy Williams
Todd Lowber

It takes more than speed and hands as well, Alvin Harper was a 4.3 receiver, did pretty well at Dallas, went to Tampa Bay and did basically nothing there. But he didn't have an Irvin that required double teams, a safety over the top, etc. to help him.

Don't think, at least at this point, that Dallas is either set up for, or has the personnel to utilize a speed receiver...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
FIRST...we need a proven route running wr. Secondly...we need that guy to have good hands...LASTLY...he needs to have the capability of taking the top off defenses and spreading them out. If not,I don't want him. Does Chark do all this? Oh...and we need a guy that can talk the talk and walk the walk in key situational moments,AND NOT VANISH.

Those guys are 1. Pretty rare 2. Unproven, if you're talking draft picks 3. Long gone, if they are thought to be all that, by the 19th pick.

John Ross ran a what, 4.22 forty at the combine? Didn't see his name at the top of the rookie wide receiver list last year. Think he was hurt also.

Point is if you put your top draft effort into finding speed, you're taking a very big chance, and with the Cowboys having essentially no backup OT, no backup OG, no backup C, an oft-injured MLB backed up by a still learning (if not also recovering" MLB, factoring in those problems, a speed receiver would be nice, but not the way to go for this team this year...

Rayman70

Reaction score
Those guys are 1. Pretty rare 2. Unproven, if you're talking draft picks 3. Long gone, if they are thought to be all that, by the 19th pick.

John Ross ran a what, 4.22 forty at the combine? Didn't see his name at the top of the rookie wide receiver list last year. Think he was hurt also.

Point is if you put your top draft effort into finding speed, you're taking a very big chance, and with the Cowboys having essentially no backup OT, no backup OG, no backup C, an oft-injured MLB backed up by a still learning (if not also recovering" MLB, factoring in those problems, a speed receiver would be nice, but not the way to go for this team this year...
read what I said. Speed is NOT the lone factor. DJ Moore is a complete player and at 19 I would not be mad if he was the pick. He can come in here and push the heck out of TWILL and even Dez. That wr room gets better day 1. Ridley may not be a great pro. I'm not sold on his route running. Moore can take a screen or a 2 yard slant to the house and his routes are crisp. He also has the versatility to return kicks and be a weapon.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think you're willing to draft Calvin Ridley in the 1st then you should be willing to draft Chark in round 2.

Both of these guys are high end #2 WR's in the NFL.

Chark has blown up since the Senior Bowl. Crazy athlete and in our offense he could do some damage but he's probably putting up OK numbers.

He's a homerun threat and we need that in our offense.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think you're willing to draft Calvin Ridley in the 1st then you should be willing to draft Chark in round 2.

Both of these guys are high end #2 WR's in the NFL.

Chark has blown up since the Senior Bowl. Crazy athlete and in our offense he could do some damage but he's probably putting up OK numbers.

He's a homerun threat and we need that in our offense.
Chark has a higher upside than Ridley I think, Chark was underused badly. That's why he showed out at the Senior Bowl...he was used properly. Ridley worries me because he comes from a Bama system in which its very scripted...and he did have times where he vanished for long stretches.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Chark has a higher upside than Ridley I think, Chark was underused badly. That's why he showed out at the Senior Bowl...he was used properly. Ridley worries me because he comes from a Bama system in which its very scripted...and he did have times where he vanished for long stretches.

I like Ridley but I think he isn't head and shoulders above all of these other WR's.

I'm not a DJ Moore fan. I'll chalk it up as me just missing something with this player because everyone seems to be on board.

For me, St. Brown, James Washington, Sutton, Chark, Anthony Miller.. Those are the guys I want.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I like Ridley but I think he isn't head and shoulders above all of these other WR's.

I'm not a DJ Moore fan. I'll chalk it up as me just missing something with this player because everyone seems to be on board.

For me, St. Brown, James Washington, Sutton, Chark, Anthony Miller.. Those are the guys I want.
Miller is a guy to watch. He is a high production guy..has sweet feet and hands. He is in that Antonio Brown mold. Dude can prolly come in here and crush TWILL in camp and beat him out fairly easy. Fast,strong,solid route runner,good hands and good team mate.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I kinda would like to go with a smaller WR in the draft...they seem to translate better to the pro system these days. I like Miller and Moore better than most.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Is Brown a one trick pony? Is he John Ross 2.0? Or is he Golden Tate? That's the risk with him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I kinda would like to go with a smaller WR in the draft...they seem to translate better to the pro system these days. I like Miller and Moore better than most.

Already have Beasley and Switzer. Lenoir is only 6-0 so he's on the small side.

Don't need another one....