This loss didn't hurt me like others

sk0aL

Reaction score
2-3 years ago, a loss like this would have devastated me. Yet, right after the Cards blocked that punt all I could really do was laugh.

How many times have the Cowboys lost games like this in the past five years, even better, in the history of the franchise? I look at more recent events like against Washington where we can't even recover a gift-wrapped onside kick, to Washington in 2006 where Vandershank kicks a FG at a 15 degree angle and it gets blocked. Sean Taylor then picks it up, gets a 15 yard facemask after the runback, then Sean Frickin Suisham nails a 47 yarder to win it.

What other franchise loses like we do? Every true Cowboy fan remembers Leon Lett on Thanksgiving 1993.

I often wonder how many Cowboy fans have blood pressure problems.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
I might be wrong...but i think this is the first game in the last five years we have lost in overtime by a blocked punt returned for a touchdown...like i said might be wrong

DCgirl13

Reaction score
the kid 05;2332406 said:
I might be wrong...but i think this is the first game in the last five years we have lost in overtime by a blocked punt returned for a touchdown...like i said might be wrong

That sort of thing usually happens to the Cardinals which is why I kind of chuckled while hanging my hands over my head in upset when we lost.

It's usually the Cardinals that give the game away when it matters. It was kind of shocking to see something go their way for once.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
the kid 05;2332406 said:

First time in NFL history it has happended in OT.:banghead:

Boysboy

Reaction score
sk0aL;2332391 said:
2-3 years ago, a loss like this would have devastated me. Yet, right after the Cards blocked that punt all I could really do was laugh.

How many times have the Cowboys lost games like this in the past five years, even better, in the history of the franchise? I look at more recent events like against Washington where we can't even recover a gift-wrapped onside kick, to Washington in 2006 where Vandershank kicks a FG at a 15 degree angle and it gets blocked. Sean Taylor then picks it up, gets a 15 yard facemask after the runback, then Sean Frickin Suisham nails a 47 yarder to win it.

What other franchise loses like we do? Every true Cowboy fan remembers Leon Lett on Thanksgiving 1993.

I often wonder how many Cowboy fans have blood pressure problems.

We also lost the 2nd Philly game in '96 when we were threatening near the goalline down by 3, Aikman threw a pick 6 to a Philly defender subsequently.

Or how about the 2nd Skins game in '92 when Aikman fumbled in the endzone, and Emmitt picked it up and lateralled it instead of kicking it out of bounds and taking the safety? Costed us HFA, but thankfully not the Super Bowl.

Or how about the 2nd Philly game in '95 where we had a double digit halftime lead, only for Ricky Watters to run roughshot on us in the 2nd half, which lead go Barry's infamous going for it on 4th and 1 in our own territory?

Or how about the 2nd Philly game in '97 where we were threaning near the goalline to put the game away late, only for penalty after penalty ended up forcing us to kick a long FG, which opened the doors for a game-winning drive the the Eagles?

Or how about the Minny game in '99 where we were DOMINATING them in the first half, only for Mark Stepnoski's botched snap late in the 1st half swung the momentum to the Vikes?

Or how about blowing a 2 score lead in 2 minutes in the 1st Skins game in '05? That was pretty much the birth of Santana Moss right there.

I remember I felt like my gut was REALLY kicked into for a week after these losses.

Boysboy

Reaction score
ryanbabs;2332421 said:
First time in NFL history it has happended in OT.:banghead:

I believe the Saints did it to the Bucs in '02-saw the game. Only difference was that the defender was already in the Bucs' punter's face, that he ended up throwing it away out of desperation.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Sometimes I think we invent new ways to lose. You know, if you're gonna lose, might as well do it in a way that causes people to talk about it.

ddh33

Reaction score
They all hurt. What matters is the big picture.

Funny how a few months ago, nothing mattered but the playoffs. I even remember talking about how they preferred 5-11 to losing in the first round of the playoffs. Well, what's your complaint then?

I just think the team is in a little bit of rut. I don't think they are handling the expectations very well. I don't think they are playing very well. Unfortunately, it's kind of random type thing too. The O-Line has played poorly since Kosier went down. The secondary has had some trouble. Ware and Ratliff haven't gotten enough help pressuring the QB...just several things - not even always all of them at once.

The team just needs to get things straightened out. There is still a lot of talent on this team. I think there is a lot of fire and pride here too - maybe not from everyone, unfortunately, but from enough key guys. I'm still optimistic they'll figure it out.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Boys, you forgot the Seattle game in 1995 when Cortez missed a chip shot so the score was only 10-3 instead of 13-3. Seahawks drive the entire field to tie it, but we have the ball going into FG territory only to have Bledsoe throw a bad INT to Babineau who was playing because Hamlin had his head bashed in at a night club a few nights earlier.

Brown kicks a 50 yarder to win.

Boysboy

Reaction score
ddh33;2332491 said:
They all hurt. What matters is the big picture.

Funny how a few months ago, nothing mattered but the playoffs. I even remember talking about how they preferred 5-11 to losing in the first round of the playoffs. Well, what's your complaint then?

I just think the team is in a little bit of rut. I don't think they are handling the expectations very well. I don't think they are playing very well. Unfortunately, it's kind of random type thing too. The O-Line has played poorly since Kosier went down. The secondary has had some trouble. Ware and Ratliff haven't gotten enough help pressuring the QB...just several things - not even always all of them at once.

The team just needs to get things straightened out. There is still a lot of talent on this team. I think there is a lot of fire and pride here too - maybe not from everyone, unfortunately, but from enough key guys. I'm still optimistic they'll figure it out.

I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it again-don't underestimate the injuries. Yes, they are part of the game, and yes, everyone has them. But at the same time, it changes the personality of your game planning, your playcalling, your rotations, your ST play, etc, etc.

We're 4-2 and the season ain't even 1/2 way over-there's still TOO much football left.

sk0aL

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2332502 said:
Boys, you forgot the Seattle game in 1995 when Cortez missed a chip shot so the score was only 10-3 instead of 13-3. Seahawks drive the entire field to tie it, but we have the ball going into FG territory only to have Bledsoe throw a bad INT to Babineau who was playing because Hamlin had his head bashed in at a night club a few nights earlier.

Wasn't that 2005? :laugh2:

Boysboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2332502 said:

That loss all but turned our season around. IF we had made the plays to win that game, who knows? We would have taken a swagger back to DFW, and would have carried over for the rest of the season.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Boysboy;2332514 said:
That loss all but turned our season around. IF we had made the plays to win that game, who knows? We would have taken a swagger back to DFW, and would have carried over for the rest of the season.

I agree that and the loss to the Broncos on US Thanksgiving basically because we missed FGs and then let fat Ron Dayne eat us for dinner that day cost us a playoff berth.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
This entire game was an enigma to me.......I am not too upset about the loss. It seemed like we were making mistakes in all 3 aspects of the game. I couldn't believe we actually got this game into OT.

I am more upset with Aikman.....we were dominating in every aspect, except the scoreboard....when he mentioned that Arizona had yet to convert a 3rd down. Lo and behold, the Cards convert a 3rd and 17...then 2 or 3 more on that drive and score a TD. It seemed like Aikman jinxed us the way announcers seem to jinx a basketball player when he is shooting FTs. I know it is petty, but I just hate when announcers comment on stats just prior to a play....wait till just after the play. I am too superstitious for my own good.

I am kind of hoping this loss pisses the players off and they come back with something to prove and take all that angst and anger out on the Rams. BTW, I know we are now 4-2.....but at least we have been in position to be 6-0...even with all of our mistakes and mishaps as of late.

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
Biggems;2332554 said:
This entire game was an enigma to me.......I am not too upset about the loss. It seemed like we were making mistakes in all 3 aspects of the game. I couldn't believe we actually got this game into OT.

I am more upset with Aikman.....we were dominating in every aspect, except the scoreboard....when he mentioned that Arizona had yet to convert a 3rd down. Lo and behold, the Cards convert a 3rd and 17...then 2 or 3 more on that drive and score a TD. It seemed like Aikman jinxed us the way announcers seem to jinx a basketball player when he is shooting FTs. I know it is petty, but I just hate when announcers comment on stats just prior to a play....wait till just after the play. I am too superstitious for my own good.

I am kind of hoping this loss pisses the players off and they come back with something to prove and take all that angst and anger out on the Rams. BTW, I know we are now 4-2.....but at least we have been in position to be 6-0...even with all of our mistakes and mishaps as of late.
Keep hoping. People said the same thing after the Skins game.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Biggems;2332554 said:

Honestly-the Buffalo miracle last year may have gotten into the players' heads too much. As the course of the season went along, it seemed like the players had this mentality that they were INVINCIBLE-no matter how much they kept their foot off the gas peddle, they had this mentality.

You're right-maybe, just MAYBE a loss like this will be a big wake up call to the players instead. Who knows IF they had pulled this out? They would be having this same invincible mentality.

ddh33

Reaction score
I think the injuries have been a big factor. I really do. It does affect what you do and how you do it?

The other thing I have wondered has to do with our defense: have we over-specialized our defense? I know Wade was talking about them being worn out, which seems unfortunate since they weren't on the field a ton. We talk a lot about offenses having a rhythm, But I have wondered if the defenders don't really have any?

Regardless, I think the team just has some problems on the field that teams are exploiting. Generally speaking, the team isn't very fast on either side of the ball, and I think that is really hurting too.