CFZ This team has a totally new blueprint to win

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I always say at the beginning of each new season that it takes 4-6 games- sometimes more- for a football team to develop an identity, to learn how to work together to get wins, etc. Opening day, most of us watch our favorite team and project the entire season on that. That’s short-sided.

Having said that, we’re only two games into this season but I already believe this is a totally different team than those of the recent past. How you ask? This is no longer an offense centered team. This team’s best talent is clearly on the defensive side of the ball. And that should change how this team approaches game plans. Micah Parsons is not only the best player on this team, he is the centerpiece of the team’s potential.

So…what does this mean moving forward?

• The Cowboys defense is the best hope we have to win. Maybe the offense can improve slowly as the season progresses. But early on this season, winning closer, low scoring games may have to be the blueprint.
  • The Cowboys should realize they will be in almost every game this year if it’s not a shoot-out. The bengals game score of 20-17 is probably a script for how this team can win right now.
  • Maybe by November the offense can catch up. But right now it’s the defense that must carry this team.
Thoughts?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It really seems like the game plan is different when Rush plays than it is with Dak. Frankly, the Rush plans seems to work better.

But they're paying Dak so they're going to put more on his shoulders. Personally, I'd rather do what works even if it means asking less of Dak.

Dak's contract is a sunk cost. Stop trying to justify it and do what gives your team the best chance to win games.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe we will peak and get healthy at the end of year. Use the run game and pass off of that. Take the shots when they are there. Play real good Defense and ST. 2 out of 3 phases. Our ST helped. 50 yarder at the end for the win. A 50 yard FG I thought we missed at first. Lol.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I think they have been looking at it this way all offseason. They have continually talked about being more run oriented.
If this line continues to gel, there isn't much reason they can't be a balanced offense (assuming decent QB play).
So yes, I could see this offense being less "trying to force big plays" and more "making big plays because you have softened them up and forced them to sell out". Like 2016.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If this offense can average 20 points a game and eliminate the silly penalties, we will win a lot of games. This D is the real deal.......

BTW........I have said this before but I'm sensing a shift in the face of this team from Dak to Parsons. I would argue this is his team already. What's great is he seems to totally embrace it. He is certainly the definition of alpha dawg.

Last edited:

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I agree. Defense is head and shoulders better than our offense right now. They will keep us in games. I'm hoping as this season progresses, our offense will improve. Hopefully K. Moore won't be our obstacle.

Cowboys purposefully weakened their offense in off season.

This was coming off a 12 win season and with the #1 ranked offense.

It was absolutely crazy.

Best run contending teams IMPROVE their teams in off season because they understand how close they were to winning it all.

Stephen Jones is a home grown saboteur.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I always say at the beginning of each new season that it takes 4-6 games- sometimes more- for a football team to develop an identity, to learn how to work together to get wins, etc. Opening day, most of us watch our favorite team and project the entire season on that. That’s short-sided.

Having said that, we’re only two games into this season but I already believe this is a totally different team than those of the recent past. How you ask? This is no longer an offense centered team. This team’s best talent is clearly on the defensive side of the ball. And that should change how this team approaches game plans. Micah Parsons is not only the best player on this team, he is the centerpiece of the team’s potential.

• The Cowboys defense is the best hope we have to win. Maybe the offense can improve slowly as the season progresses. But early on this season, winning closer, low scoring games may have to be the blueprint.
  • The Cowboys should realize they will be in almost every game this year if it’s not a shoot-out. The bengals game score of 20-17 is probably a script for how this team can win right now.
  • Maybe by November the offense can catch up. But right now it’s the defense that must carry this team.
Thoughts?
Unfortunately, if every game is like this, the defense is going to be worn out before the end of the season. The offense needs to spend some time on the field scoring TDs on long drives.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?
Blueprints are made in the spring and can change weekly because of injury...

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I agree. When Dak comes back, you can incorporate a few more things that he gives you over Rush, such as a couple of more deep balls (especially when Gallup returns) or using his mobility on designed runs, but there is no reason to go for the 400-yard passing games.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really seems like the game plan is different when Rush plays than it is with Dak. Frankly, the Rush plans seems to work better.

But they're paying Dak so they're going to put more on his shoulders. Personally, I'd rather do what works even if it means asking less of Dak.

Dak's contract is a sunk cost. Stop trying to justify it and do what gives your team the best chance to win games.
Agree. This organization the last decade or more has struggled knowing what kind of team they are. The FO approaches each year looking at the cap and the roster like it’s fantasy football instead of building a complementary team. They play players based on their pay checks way too much.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

They put the same game plan together with Prescott behind center. Rather than trying to do more than he can. I don’t think we ever loose a football game with this defense

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree. When Dak comes back, you can incorporate a few more things that he gives you over Rush, such as a couple of more deep balls (especially when Gallup returns) or using his mobility on designed runs, but there is no reason to go for the 400-yard passing games.
But they shouldn’t they should keep the game plan simple because that’s what works. Dink dunk methodical .

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We were clearly a better defensive team than offensive team at the end of last season, and we did little to change that. We traded our No. 1 receiver, let our starting right tackle leave, let our starting left guard leave, let our third receiver leave ... Even if their replacements ultimately prove to be better, that's not exactly how you go about adding to your offense.

We're a team that needs its defense to play as well as or better than it did in the first two games, and it's likely that we run into a team with just as good of a defense or an even better one (like we did with Tampa), we're going to lose.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately, if every game is like this, the defense is going to be worn out before the end of the season. The offense needs to spend some time on the field scoring TDs on long drives.
This is a good point. We saw this in the second half against the bengals. The offense was unable to get anything much going in the second half which completely gassed the D.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Thoughts?
The QB situation could tear this team apart.
It will need to get resolved.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thoughts?

I think there’s a lot of accuracy to these statements, but I personally still have some questions that still need to be answered. “If it’s not a shootout” has a lot of assumptions to it. And while I’m thrilled with 1-1, we could just as easily be 0-2 and in full-blown panic mode. I need to see more.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
I hope the D continues their performance, till the OL settles down, finds itself and hopefully jells. Controlling both side of the line would be awesome.