CFZ This team is showing up. All 4 phases

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s only been 3 games which is not a definitive sample, but so far this team has come to play in all 3 games. There seems to be a change in culture taking place with the Cowboys organization. I don’t know who’s responsible. Is it Mike McCarthy? Dan Quinn or other coaches or all the above. All I know is that it’s been awhile since the team has shown up like this in the first 3 games of the season. The effort is there. The enthusiasm is there. The next game against Washington will be telling as no one is expecting the Cowboys to lose so lets see what happens.

Defense

I made a thread earlier about how special this defense is. I’ve been watching since the Landry days and I can honestly say that this defense compares with the best of them. The Doomsday defenses I and II of the 60’s and 70’s were/are the best. Jethro Pugh, Bob Lilly, George Andrie, Chuck Holley, Lee Roy Jordan, Cornell Green, Mel Renfro, Herb Adderly, Harvey Martin, Randy White, Ed Too Tall Jones, D.D. Lewis, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters and Everson Walls. They all didn’t play the same years together but over a short time in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

Now to the 2022 Doomsday III defense. Micah Parsons, DLaw and Trevon Diggs are the well know names currently. But they have many others that are better than average NFL players. Dorance Armstrong, Dante Fowler, Anthony Barr, Bohanna, Gallimore, LVE, Hooker and Wilson. These guys as well as their leader Dan Quinn who knows how to use talent. This defense is LEGIT.

Offense

The offense is struggling. 23 in total yards. 30th in points scored. 11th in rushing yards which is not bad but 24th in passing yards. Rush is doing a great job of managing the offense to it’s strength which currently is the defense and a solid rushing game. They’re without their #2 WR. They’re playing with a rookie LT and lately with rookie TE’s. Their LG is a backup until Peters gets in shape. But with all this diversity, the Cowboys are 2-1.

Special Teams

Cowboys are 9th in punt return yardage. Not so good in kickoff return yardage. But Turpin has giving the team good field position when he gets the chance to return. Maher has been money making 6 of 7 and missing only a 59 yarder. Anger has been awesome as usual and Maher hasn’t allowed any kickoffs to be returned.

Coaching

The coaching staff has been much maligned going into the season. Some of it deserved. The penalties are a big problem still and must be addressed. But going back to my original thoughts in this thread, this team has come to play each and every game. Each and every play. Some of these penalties are due to being so aggressive. So competitive. For example, Wilson batting that ball back after the WR caught the ball. That’s just competitiveness. He had no idea the ref was behind him. Don’t get me wrong, he shouldn’t have done it because it gave any ref in the vicinity to call the penalty. But I can live with those penalties.

Quinn has called a great defensive game plan all 3 games. Limiting the likes of Brady’s Bucs and Burrows Super Bowl Bengals to limited scoring. Teams are having some success running the ball but only because they aren’t able to pass the ball. They just need to keep Parsons healthy.

Kellen Moore called a horrible game against the Bucs in week 1. His offense didn’t work after the first series yet he didn’t seem to make any adjustments. They didn’t stick with the running game. Dak had 10 carries for 52 yards and Pollard barely broke the stat sheet. Once Dak got injured, Moore rightfully decided to start relying on the running game. Something many of us have been begging for since early last year. And what happened? The offense, although not prolific, scored enough points and possessed the ball enough to win the next 2 games.

Winning 2 games with a backup QB, 2 rookie TE’s, a rookie LT, a backup LG, without you’re #2 and #3 WR should instill confidence going forward. Dak will be back soon, Tyler Smith is going to get even better, McGovern is coming back, Peters is getting in shape, Gallup is coming back and Washington is coming back.

If the team can stay healthy, there’s a lot to be optimistic about with this team.

Verdict

Reaction score
The coaching is better than it’s been in some time with the possible exception to the rule in Kellen Moore. He sometimes can’t see the forest for the trees.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Farniok is not a backup. He was the most mobile Olineman tonight, plus he manhandled the Giants DTs very well all night long. That's not including his athleticism pulling and blocking out very well, while not forgetting how many times he repeatedly rubs off a combo block and takes out a LB or DB at the second level. Nate Newton said about Farniok on Thursday during the Hangin With The Boys that he loves Farniok's scrappiness and huge improvement from plugging in as a backup during Week 1 to starting during Week 2. I can't wait to see what Nate has to say about Farniok's dominating performance in Week 3 against the Giants.

Matt Farniok is growing week by week right in front of our eyes. He's no longer a backup. He's turning himself into a legit starter.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The defense, a unit that saw DeLaw enter Maniac Mode on Daniel Jones. Punishing him w/3 sacks in the first half & punctuated by a game sealing interception by Diggs. Toss in a blocked field goal by Dorance Armstrong (who also had a sack) & the Cowboys won in all three phases, a testament to their resiliency.

DanA

Reaction score
The offense is spluttering but ST and the Def are playing out of this world and our edge rushers have been ridiculous. 10 sacks combined between Parsons, D-Law, and Armstrong in just 3 games is unsustainable but it's been a hell of an exciting start.

plymkr

Reaction score
It’s only been 3 games which is not a definitive sample, but so far this team has come to play in all 3 games. There seems to be a change in culture taking place with the Cowboys organization. I don’t know who’s responsible. Is it Mike McCarthy? Dan Quinn or other coaches or all the above. All I know is that it’s been awhile since the team has shown up like this in the first 3 games of the season. The effort is there. The enthusiasm is there. The next game against Washington will be telling as no one is expecting the Cowboys to lose so lets see what happens.

Defense

I made a thread earlier about how special this defense is. I’ve been watching since the Landry days and I can honestly say that this defense compares with the best of them. The Doomsday defenses I and II of the 60’s and 70’s were/are the best. Jethro Pugh, Bob Lilly, George Andrie, Chuck Holley, Lee Roy Jordan, Cornell Green, Mel Renfro, Herb Adderly, Harvey Martin, Randy White, Ed Too Tall Jones, D.D. Lewis, Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters and Everson Walls. They all didn’t play the same years together but over a short time in the late 60’s and early 70’s.

Now to the 2022 Doomsday III defense. Micah Parsons, DLaw and Trevon Diggs are the well know names currently. But they have many others that are better than average NFL players. Dorance Armstrong, Dante Fowler, Anthony Barr, Bohanna, Gallimore, LVE, Hooker and Wilson. These guys as well as their leader Dan Quinn who knows how to use talent. This defense is LEGIT.

Offense

The offense is struggling. 23 in total yards. 30th in points scored. 11th in rushing yards which is not bad but 24th in passing yards. Rush is doing a great job of managing the offense to it’s strength which currently is the defense and a solid rushing game. They’re without their #2 WR. They’re playing with a rookie LT and lately with rookie TE’s. Their LG is a backup until Peters gets in shape. But with all this diversity, the Cowboys are 2-1.

Special Teams

Cowboys are 9th in punt return yardage. Not so good in kickoff return yardage. But Turpin has giving the team good field position when he gets the chance to return. Maher has been money making 6 of 7 and missing only a 59 yarder. Anger has been awesome as usual and Maher hasn’t allowed any kickoffs to be returned.

Coaching

The coaching staff has been much maligned going into the season. Some of it deserved. The penalties are a big problem still and must be addressed. But going back to my original thoughts in this thread, this team has come to play each and every game. Each and every play. Some of these penalties are due to being so aggressive. So competitive. For example, Wilson batting that ball back after the WR caught the ball. That’s just competitiveness. He had no idea the ref was behind him. Don’t get me wrong, he shouldn’t have done it because it gave any ref in the vicinity to call the penalty. But I can live with those penalties.

Quinn has called a great defensive game plan all 3 games. Limiting the likes of Brady’s Bucs and Burrows Super Bowl Bengals to limited scoring. Teams are having some success running the ball but only because they aren’t able to pass the ball. They just need to keep Parsons healthy.

Kellen Moore called a horrible game against the Bucs in week 1. His offense didn’t work after the first series yet he didn’t seem to make any adjustments. They didn’t stick with the running game. Dak had 10 carries for 52 yards and Pollard barely broke the stat sheet. Once Dak got injured, Moore rightfully decided to start relying on the running game. Something many of us have been begging for since early last year. And what happened? The offense, although not prolific, scored enough points and possessed the ball enough to win the next 2 games.

Winning 2 games with a backup QB, 2 rookie TE’s, a rookie LT, a backup LG, without you’re #2 and #3 WR should instill confidence going forward. Dak will be back soon, Tyler Smith is going to get even better, McGovern is coming back, Peters is getting in shape, Gallup is coming back and Washington is coming back.

If the team can stay healthy, there’s a lot to be optimistic about with this team.
Great post! After that Tampa Bay game I was pretty disappointed and discouraged. Like really discouraged. But since then things have turned around. You pretty much nailed everything in your post. I want to piggy back on one thing I noticed last week and this week that you didn't mention: TIMING

It was great timing for Lamb to catch the 4th down pass and the one handed super catch.
Great timing for DLaw to play one of the best games of his career with Micah being 60%.
Great timing for Turpin to flip the field position.

It seems we are making plays with good timing to flip the momentum and we're doing it on ST, Defense and Offense. Very exciting and fun. And I was one who posted I didn't think we'd win a game after week 1, glad I was wrong but we've played so much better since then and every phase of the game is feeding off each other that's it's a different team than week 1. Good complimentary football with good timing.

Tonight was a fun win. I love beating the Giants.

plymkr

Reaction score
The defense, a unit that saw DeLaw enter Maniac Mode on Daniel Jones. Punishing him w/3 sacks in the first half & punctuated by a game sealing interception by Diggs. Toss in a blocked field goal by Dorance Armstrong (who also had a sack) & the Cowboys won in all three phases, a testament to their resiliency.
DLaw was playing like he was in a contract year!! He was a BEAST tonight. I owe him an apology for all the dogging I've been doing on him. But you're right our defense is resilient and tenacious! Love it!

plymkr

Reaction score
Farniok is not a backup. He was the most mobile Olineman tonight, plus he manhandled the Giants DTs very well all night long. That's not including his athleticism pulling and blocking out very well, while not forgetting how many times he repeatedly rubs off a combo block and takes out a LB or DB at the second level. Nate Newton said about Farniok on Thursday during the Hangin With The Boys that he loves Farniok's scrappiness and huge improvement from plugging in as a backup during Week 1 to starting during Week 2. I can't wait to see what Nate has to say about Farniok's dominating performance in Week 3 against the Giants.

Matt Farniok is growing week by week right in front of our eyes. He's no longer a backup. He's turning himself into a legit starter.
Farniok is stepping up. Pollard and Zeke benefited from him tonight. I'm really excited about our offensive line.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Don’t know. I do know that the first play Peters was in the game Pollard had a 40 something yard run to the left side. Peters is a future Hall of Famer who has something left in the tank obviously. He just needs to get in better shape. Farniok is a 7th round draft pick in 2021. Legit starter? No, not yet. Give me the future HOF’er.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

Defense

Offense

Special Teams

Coaching

The offense is not struggling. The captain of Dak's ship is going to say that because we have seen that Dak is a fraud. If CD would catch the ball, another player who I have commented about many times, and the officials don't let Brown get tackled, this game was a blowout. On the road in primetime in a rowdy house. Go back under your bridge where you hid after the playoff embarrassment Dak delivered last year.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The offense is not struggling. The captain of Dak's ship is going to say that because we have seen that Dak is a fraud. If CD would catch the ball, another player who I have commented about many times, and the officials don't let Brown get tackled, this game was a blowout. On the road in primetime in a rowdy house. Go back under your bridge where you hid after the playoff embarrassment Dak delivered last year.
You’re entitled to your opinion.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Don’t know. I do know that the first play Peters was in the game Pollard had a 40 something yard run to the left side. Peters is a future Hall of Famer who has something left in the tank obviously. He just needs to get in better shape. Farniok is a 7th round draft pick in 2021. Legit starter? No, not yet. Give me the future HOF’er.
Peters did a great job using his size, strength and first step to his advantage, but he's 40 years old and it showed, hence why he only lasted 1 series. He's good within a yard of the goal line, but asking him to pull, trap or run downfield is where he's limited due to age and size. I'll take the young, mobile, strong and aggressive young talent who is proving he's making gigantic strides week by week and becoming a formidable starter.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Peters did a great job using his size, strength and first step to his advantage, but he's 40 years old and it showed, hence why he only lasted 1 series. He's good within a yard of the goal line, but asking him to pull, trap or run downfield is where he's limited due to age and size. I'll take the young, mobile, strong and aggressive young talent who is proving he's making gigantic strides week by week and becoming a formidable starter.
He’s only been back for a couple weeks. He was good last season. Come on man.