CFZ Thoughts about 2nd half, this week and other notes

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-This week is not a so called must win, but it really would hurt their chances for the division. GB is a mash unit, on a long losing streak and about to pack it in for the season.

-After the following week at Minnesota, the Cowboys have finished all their NFC games outside the division and get to face the AFC South. Outside of maybe the Titans, they need to win these contests as they will be favored in every one.

-Many here are saying OBJ is a locker room cancer. I got to see his entire career as a Giant, he much more like Dez then he is like TO. Very passionate and allows his emotions to get the best of him at times, but he is a gamer and gives it his best every week. If the Cowboys have the opportunity to sign him, he could potentially take this offense to championship level. This wide receiving group needs that alpha, which they don't currently have and Amari Cooper never was.

-Justin Fields and the Bears rushing attack is legitimate. They did it again, rushed for over 250 yards. Many will complain about the Cowboys inability to stop them on the ground, but they are doing it to everyone they face over the last month.

-Looking around the league, many teams are struggling stopping the run. I watched the Bills defense yesterday and they are suppose to be the best, Jets ran 7 straight run plays and they couldn't stop the bleeding. Fully aware one of their good linebacker was out, but that cannot happen. I believe teams have been built to stop the pass and the good run teams are taking advantage. Why have the Bucs, Rams struggled this year? Cause they cannot run the football with any consistency.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm in the minority, but I don't think we need OBJ. If we're gonna have balance and run a ball control offense, he's overkill. One of the things that keeps Parsons and the D dominant is long sustained drives by the offense that use the clock. That might not be exciting and put up lots of stats and points, but it wins. It doesn't matter how good a defense is, if they're on the field too much they'll get worn out.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm in the minority, but I don't think we need OBJ. If we're gonna have balance and run a ball control offense, he's overkill. One of the things that keeps Parsons and the D dominant is long sustained drives by the offense that use the clock. That might not be exciting and put up lots of stats and points, but it wins. It doesn't matter how good a defense is, if they're on the field too much they'll get worn out.

I agree that I don't think we need OBJ. I won't be upset if we don't sign him. But having him on the team is better than not having him on the team. If for nothing else, in case we have an injury.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
These next two games will tell us if we need OBJ or not. If we go out there and put up 35 a game, then screw OBJ. I'm hoping Dak and Lamb just need time to get their acts together. Lamb has only been a number one for eight games now and Dak missed five of those games. If he give them a couple of weeks they might gel and start looking like Romo to Dez.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I agree that I don't think we need OBJ. I won't be upset if we don't sign him. But having him on the team is better than not having him on the team. If for nothing else, in case we have an injury.

That's a fair take, but he ain't coming cheap. I don't see him taking a one year prove it deal. We've already paid big money on Gallup, and Lamb is coming up for a 2nd contract soon. Plus, how's he going to feel about not being used a lot?

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
These next two games will tell us if we need OBJ or not. If we go out there and put up 35 a game, then screw OBJ. I'm hoping Dak and Lamb just need time to get their acts together. Lamb has only been a number one for eight games now and Dak missed five of those games. If he give them a couple of weeks they might gel and start looking like Romo to Dez.

I don’t agree with this, these next 2 games will tell us nothing. Green Bay is a dumsterfire and the Vikings are overrated and lucky they don’t have more loses. I don’t want to go head to head with powerhouse teams and find out we should have signed OBJ. He will cost us nothing in the end if he is a bust,

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I don’t agree with this, these next 2 games will tell us nothing. Green Bay is a dumsterfire and the Vikings are overrated and lucky they don’t have more loses. I don’t want to go head to head with powerhouse teams and find out we should have signed OBJ. He will cost us nothing in the end if he is a bust,
Pressure can burst a pipe... or pressure could create a diamond. Going to GB we face a future HOF in his house. Then we face a conference foe with seven wins already. Dak and Lamb should feel like the pressure is on them to carry us through these next two games. So we should see if the combo of Dak and Lamb can turn the corner or not.

Just my opinion and opinions vary. But I'll be focused on Dak to Lamb in these next two games.

quickccc

Reaction score
-This week is not a so called must win, but it really would hurt their chances for the division. GB is a mash unit, on a long losing streak and about to pack it in for the season.

-After the following week at Minnesota, the Cowboys have finished all their NFC games outside the division and get to face the AFC South. Outside of maybe the Titans, they need to win these contests as they will be favored in every one.

-Many here are saying OBJ is a locker room cancer. I got to see his entire career as a Giant, he much more like Dez then he is like TO. Very passionate and allows his emotions to get the best of him at times, but he is a gamer and gives it his best every week. If the Cowboys have the opportunity to sign him, he could potentially take this offense to championship level. This wide receiving group needs that alpha, which they don't currently have and Amari Cooper never was.

-Justin Fields and the Bears rushing attack is legitimate. They did it again, rushed for over 250 yards. Many will complain about the Cowboys inability to stop them on the ground, but they are doing it to everyone they face over the last month.

-Looking around the league, many teams are struggling stopping the run. I watched the Bills defense yesterday and they are suppose to be the best, Jets ran 7 straight run plays and they couldn't stop the bleeding. Fully aware one of their good linebacker was out, but that cannot happen. I believe teams have been built to stop the pass and the good run teams are taking advantage. Why have the Bucs, Rams struggled this year? Cause they cannot run the football with any consistency.

Thanks for Sharing …

It is still indeed a “must win “, because we’re still behind the NFC East leading Eagles by two games .. a non-division win it all means a wild card berth, and an unlikely playoff home field advantage.

- If Packers RB Aaron Jones is out per injury, that helps our cause. He’s slaughtered our defense last meeting.
Now it comes down to RB Dillion, but the way we are Not stopping the run, who knows ..?

- 2nd half season, I’m still very concerned with the poor run defense, Hankins hopefully helps, but it’s not boxing and a one man gang sport. It’s a collective team effort. How sad is It that improvement hope for a better defense relies on a rookie only activated last week to help our LB situation ?
LVE is a liability vs run, decent in space but physically vs run ...Barr hasn’t a factor even before his hamstring injury. And team apparently does not like Cox (expect him to be gone next year)
And the team is playing Parson more at rush end than off ball LB. - Highly expect LB to be draft high priority next spring.

Rodgers cannot score points. And his confidence seems lower and down as i've seen him. Has he already " checked out" for the season ?
He has a suspect WR unit that he is still not comfortable with, he doesn't not get protection, and Packers don’t make run game enuff to compensate lack of passing.
They don't geared their run game to that level. But EVERYONE gets fired up and revved up to face " America's Team " ..!!

quickccc

Reaction score

- Fields and da Bears 278 rushing yds wasn’t an aberration, what was a strength with them.. was already a weakness with us. as several teams had already rushed for over or near 100 yards rushing .
before the Bears game ... But are we looking for an excuse to dismiss our poor run defense ?

- We cannot continue to be so " rah-rah " Cowboys fans biased that we want to cover up and be " content" with what's been a long time major weakness – and ironically one that
has saw us ousted outta playoffs twice because so.

- While this is a turnover oriented “ downhill “ defense with INT ball hawks, hybrid sub packages – it’s not gonna be resistant vs Eagles, Bears, Vikes, Seattle or Niners vs the run should
we have to face them in playoffs, imo.

- We talk about being more "physical " and bigger 1 techs - but yet we're still getting "out-physical'. Let those non-run stopping teams handle their own problems, while we need to
handle our own problems- and again a long time

- In terms of vs the run .. i still feel it's too Marinelli- like ..." Only focus on stopping the run, on the way to the QB " .....

quickccc

Reaction score

I do think we could use a talent like OBJ right now - and i'm on board, .. but there are some down sides and maybe more minuses than pluses .

PLUSES:
- At full healthy and at the top of his game- He offers great vertical speed, extraordinary foot work and change of direction, occasional circus catches and has an alpha mentality to be a lead WR
- As an UFA, he would cost us nothing per draft pick trade compensations, for such a top 10 like WR talent.
- He’s easily the best option out there in FA market.
- He could comprise near future challenge as the lead feature WR vs CeeDee Lamb. He's flat more talented than either Lamb or Gallup.

MINUSES:
- He’s still in a ACL recovery year, ditto with Gallup who is still struggling on his way back, So its’ a great chance we’ll be getting a mere shell of OBJ in '22.
- He’s gonna be an immature locker room cancer, at some point or another, is he coachable?
he’s called out his QBs, coaches and forced out trades and releases in stops such as NYG, Cleveland
He simmered it down because of an only a year rental vs SB hunt Rams,..long term wise ?
- Would we have to have " protections clauses " and " option out' locks, just in case the diva- cancer risks emerges ?
- This is OBJ's second ACL tear in his career. He can be prone to injuries and dropsies (but so can our current WR unit)

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree with most, but is OBJ going to even be the same guy? He’s coming off a big injury so is it smart to fork out millions not knowing how good he’ll be?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every game is a must win game, right up until we overtake the division then clinch it.

Run defense is the biggest concern though. We will see if the made any adjustments and what Hankins' impact will be.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The plan for the Cowboys the rest of the regular season is simple - win the games you are supposed to win.

Get through all that then find a way to win in January.

JustChip

Reaction score

I old school and don’t care for the antics OBJ brings with him. That said, he would definitely provide something this offense doesn’t have. But I would not bring him in simply because he’s the WR version of Tyron Smith. You potentially irreparably upset team chemistry with the distinct likelihood that your back where you are now because he can’t stay healthy.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
I never thought I'd say it but I am actually quite bullish on bringing OBJ in.

There's a reasonable chance he won't be near 100% however, even at 80% he can still help our team. That could just be as a decoy to free up Lamb in 1 on 1s but help nonetheless.

I do worry we are back to where we started with dollars in the WR position so what would a contract look like? Is he willing to take a half-year 2022 rental, maybe not. What about a deal taking him to the end of 2023 so he would be gone by the time Lamb gets to the end of his Rookie money?

I just feel the downside to not bringing him in could be the difference and if he doesn't pan out, then at least we knew whereas not bringing him in and maybe missing the 2 or 3 plays in a playoff game could leave us with the "what if" taste in the mouth.

aikemirv

Reaction score
If Dak can make Amari disappear I am sure he can do the same with OBJ. Dak does better if you give him more TE's on the field not WR's. All joking aside though, Moore needs to work more on play design and play calling than us needing more WR's.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I do think we could use a talent like OBJ right now - and i'm on board, .. but there are some down sides and maybe more minuses than pluses .

PLUSES:
- At full healthy and at the top of his game- He offers great vertical speed, extraordinary foot work and change of direction, occasional circus catches and has an alpha mentality to be a lead WR
- As an UFA, he would cost us nothing per draft pick trade compensations, for such a top 10 like WR talent.
- He’s easily the best option out there in FA market.
- He could comprise near future challenge as the lead feature WR vs CeeDee Lamb. He's flat more talented than either Lamb or Gallup.

MINUSES:
- He’s still in a ACL recovery year, ditto with Gallup who is still struggling on his way back, So its’ a great chance we’ll be getting a mere shell of OBJ in '22.
- He’s gonna be an immature locker room cancer, at some point or another, is he coachable?
he’s called out his QBs, coaches and forced out trades and releases in stops such as NYG, Cleveland
He simmered it down because of an only a year rental vs SB hunt Rams,..long term wise ?
- Would we have to have " protections clauses " and " option out' locks, just in case the diva- cancer risks emerges ?
- This is OBJ's second ACL tear in his career. He can be prone to injuries and dropsies (but so can our current WR unit)
Lamb could still become the number one we all hoped he would be. OBJ could be a progress stopper.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score

I am not saying we "need" him but i think he is a piece that will help put us over the top (Alone w/ Suh).
1. he helps our passing game
2. he can't hurt us, we won't have to play against him.
3, CD, OBJ, and Gallop - you can't stack the box to defend the run game.

4. Suh - just me wanting another run stuffing DT on the team.

baltcowboy

Reaction score

Good post. I have watched the Packers since they played the Giants in London. They are not a good team. The Lions and Bears have better offenses. Their defense is good so I don’t expect to dog walk them. A healthy and rested Cowboys team should have their way with them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good post. I have watched the Packers since they played the Giants in London. They are not a good team. The Lions and Bears have better offenses. Their defense is good so I don’t expect to dog walk them. A healthy and rested Cowboys team should have their way with them.
I watched both NY games, Bucs/Patriots, they really struggle throwing the football, especially down field. It's all about stopping their run game and short passes. Their defense has a lot of quality players, but they have played poorly throughout the year, especially against the run.