Thoughts about Aldon Smith possibly being resigned

king987

Reaction score
I'm def fine with Aldon coming back for the right price. He did fade off in the second half. Maybe that was endurance, maybe it was age.

I got a feeling though someone will overpay Aldon for the first half of last year.

Aven8

Reaction score
He faded into oblivion and I’m not sure he fits into Quinn’s scheme either.

John813

Reaction score
Playingwise, though, he's only completed six seasons. Age is more of a factor when it's combined with wear and tear.

True, but imo 31 is 31. The body isn't as flexible, durable etc as it was at 22 or 25. He is a professional athlete so not comparing him to the everyday man but I feel father time hits no matter how long of a break he had. Now there are some exceptions to when players slow down.q

chagus

Reaction score
Aldon Smith looked good early on, then appeared to run out of gas. Many would argue he looked good against a poor Seattle OL then decent against the rest of the competition. However, he was second with the team with sacks and pressures.

With Randy Gregory now in the fold, it might not be a bad idea to resign Aldon to a reasonable extension. Based on his 2020 production, his contract should be somewhat affordable.

He can rotate in at defensive end to keep everyone fresh or even kick inside at DT. Certainly has the weight these days to become an interior player being close to 300 lbs. In a rotational role, he could still be a valuable rusher at an affordable rate.

Agreed. He's cheap and can possibly play a bit better since he'd been out of football so long.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Aldon Smith looked good early on, then appeared to run out of gas. Many would argue he looked good against a poor Seattle OL then decent against the rest of the competition. However, he was second with the team with sacks and pressures.

With Randy Gregory now in the fold, it might not be a bad idea to resign Aldon to a reasonable extension. Based on his 2020 production, his contract should be somewhat affordable.

He can rotate in at defensive end to keep everyone fresh or even kick inside at DT. Certainly has the weight these days to become an interior player being close to 300 lbs. In a rotational role, he could still be a valuable rusher at an affordable rate.

hes UFA.

gone.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
For the right amount and no guaranteed money or promise of making the team. Hell, with the exception 3-4 games he was a non-factor and probably should have been benched.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
True, but imo 31 is 31. The body isn't as flexible, durable etc as it was at 22 or 25. He is a professional athlete so not comparing him to the everyday man but I feel father time hits no matter how long of a break he had. Now there are some exceptions to when players slow down.q

There are definitely changes to the body as you age, but the reason 30 seems to be the cut off for a lot of players' careers is simply the wear and tear of playing football for so many years. Eventually, your body's ability to heal from that diminishes, joints begin to wear down, etc.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
For the right amount and no guaranteed money or promise of making the team. Hell, with the exception 3-4 games he was a non-factor and probably should have been benched.
I am not talking about him as a starter, but rather upgrading the depth. Much rather see Aldon then a player like Armstrong. Keep in mind all we have is prospects and Armstrong at the position.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Situational player. Perhaps 12-15 snaps/game. He's not worth more than that.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
At the right price I would gladly take Aldon Smith back, give him a full camp and hopefully a pre season to get into football condition
This.....dude has been out of football for 5 years. He basically hit his second rookie year wall.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Aldon Smith looked good early on, then appeared to run out of gas.

A guy who hasn't played in 5 years not up to the rigors of a full season of football? Who woulda thunk it?

Seemed like we kept playing him so much to put more bad tape out there on him. We saw plenty in camp that we liked. I'd bet on upside as a rotational player.

He *could* come relatively cheap. But how cheap is cheap enough? I'd be happy with 5mil. 6? 7? I think I say no to 7, though the Cowboys have much better information than I do.

PFF ranks him as the 74th free agent.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/free-agency?season=2021

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Situational player. Perhaps 12-15 snaps/game. He's not worth more than that.

He played like 70% of snaps last year. More than Ware. He didn't look good in most, but his conditioning should be better this year. I'd think a 50% player easily, and given how little we play our DEs, another guy is needed to take up some serious snaps.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I say bring him back. Obviously at the right price, but I think he could be a super valuable role player. With some more time under his belt I'm guessing he will find his form again. Sure, he will never be the beast we saw when he got drafted but I think he still has some of that football instinct in him that can translate on the field.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
He played like 70% of snaps last year. More than Ware. He didn't look good in most, but his conditioning should be better this year. I'd think a 50% player easily, and given how little we play our DEs, another guy is needed to take up some serious snaps.
He was basically invisible for 12 games. He can't play 70% of he snaps if the D wants to improve.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He was basically invisible for 12 games. He can't play 70% of he snaps if the D wants to improve.

If Aldon stinks he stinks, but could be the stinking was just a guy who hadn't played in 5 years and wasn't sufficiently conditioned to face a full NFL season.

Look at his production. Starts very strong, eases off, then collapses in the last month, despite playing 70%+
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl04.htm

We saw enough production flashed from him early in the season to know he *can* be good, even in his old age. He should be better conditioned for next year. Really good sign that he could play a full season without injury after so many years. Lack of conditioning often leads to injuries.

Given that we seem to max out on DE snap% around 70%, that leaves 60% for someone after Gregory and Lawrence. You want Armstrong taking those snaps?

He's also an option on clear passing downs at 3T.

If he can play like he did early in the season through the year, 70% would be great.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If Aldon stinks he stinks, but could be the stinking was just a guy who hadn't played in 5 years and wasn't sufficiently conditioned to face a full NFL season.

Look at his production. Starts very strong, eases off, then collapses in the last month, despite playing 70%+
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl04.htm

We saw enough production flashed from him early in the season to know he *can* be good, even in his old age. He should be better conditioned for next year. Really good sign that he could play a full season without injury after so many years. Lack of conditioning often leads to injuries.

Given that we seem to max out on DE snap% around 70%, that leaves 60% for someone after Gregory and Lawrence. You want Armstrong taking those snaps?

He's also an option on clear passing downs at 3T.

If he can play like he did early in the season through the year, 70% would be great.
How much should anyone be willing to pay for if and if? I'm not sure giving him a roster spot is even a good risk.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It didn't sound like he wanted to be here. He was good for about 6 games maybe but was below average after that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How much should anyone be willing to pay for if and if? I'm not sure giving him a roster spot is even a good risk.

Pricing him is tough. Overthecap had him around 9mil. That's too high even to me. His floor is last season, his ceiling is playing like the first few games over an entire season. It's a huge range.

I definitely think he is worth a roster spot. I don't know how you can think otherwise.

erod

Reaction score
Started out like gangbusters.

Then faded away.

Much like Quinn did here the year before, then proved to be a bad signing for Chicago last year.