Thoughts about Aldon Smith possibly being resigned

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
He may not be the athletic monster or pass rusher he once was, but he is a nice pass rushing piece to keep on the roster for next season. Especially on a roster where, hopefully, DLaw & Gregory will be the taking the bulk of the edge rusher snaps next season.

quickccc

Reaction score
Aldon Smith looked good early on, then appeared to run out of gas. Many would argue he looked good against a poor Seattle OL then decent against the rest of the competition. However, he was second with the team with sacks and pressures.

With Randy Gregory now in the fold, it might not be a bad idea to resign Aldon to a reasonable extension. Based on his 2020 production, his contract should be somewhat affordable.

He can rotate in at defensive end to keep everyone fresh or even kick inside at DT. Certainly has the weight these days to become an interior player being close to 300 lbs. In a rotational role, he could still be a valuable rusher at an affordable rate.

Yeh,..of course Aldon was 2nd on team with sacks (most in first 3 or 4 games at season's start) because where was Dlaw ? …(and the 10+ double digits sacks he had consecutively before he re-signed for that monster contract ?)

- Then we had a numb skull now fired vet DL coach, who decided Gregory the Cowboys best pure edge rusher ,..was only worth 11 snaps vs Ravens, and 20% snaps on the field,..
And a further numb skull who totally freezed out rookie Bradley Anae entire year
…and what do you have left at DE ? ….Dorace Armstrong ? JAG

- It’s a reason this organization couldn't wait to ousted Tomsula outta here with the quickness,..s along with Mike Nolan,..

- Aldon ? .. I’d rather move on,. just continuing to add new blood to the mix of Gregory and Anae, ..and I’m not definitely no longer in favor Aldon starting at DE any more.
I dunno if the 31 year old who had been out of football period for 4 years, indeed had hit a wall physically ,…mind you with just after the 3rd game,
there were times where, like some noted others, I thought Aldon was going thru the motions and seem like he didn’t want to be here.

-Some had questioned his motor and effort. One thing for sure, ..he didn’t look explosive at all thru most of the season- he lumbered !! it actually became painful to watch.
but I hope some other NFL team out bid us for Aldon services.

I'd rather have a DL coach who is astute enough to flex- move DLaw inside at nickel DT ,and mismatch him up against slower interior OGs - ala Jason Tuck style.
while the likes of Anae, etc can rush the edge on those nickel downs. o_O

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He has really good stats.

any team looking for a starting DE will give him $$$$.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I’d give him a 2-3 year deal for the right price. Obviously with plenty of performance incentives. The guy will be 32 in September.

quickccc

Reaction score
Clearly, they have to get Randy Gregory on the field as much as possible and hopefully Gregory does he part to make that happen too. So that means Aldon Smith is really a backup and maybe they can slide him inside on some downs. So the question is, how much does he want? I would sign him but not for any serious amount of money. Maybe it's time to see what Bradley Anae can do.

My question would be his effort on the field but.maybe a full game season took a lot outta him mentally, ..physically ...and emotionally.
and if we had teams vying to trade for him, then it doesn't seem like he'll accept peanuts to go play to what will likely be his last NFL contract at age 32.

And kudos of credit to Aldon for proving he could stay out of trouble in the brink of a long football season without incidents.
it may come up in contract talks, but any NFL team of interest wont be as leery or timid about him this time around as a FA.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeh,..of course Aldon was 2nd on team with sacks (most in first 3 or 4 games at season's start) because where was Dlaw ? …(and the 10+ double digits sacks he had consecutively before he re-signed for that monster contract ?)

- Then we had a numb skull now fired vet DL coach, who decided Gregory the Cowboys best pure edge rusher ,..was only worth 11 snaps vs Ravens, and 20% snaps on the field,..
And a further numb skull who totally freezed out rookie Bradley Anae entire year
…and what do you have left at DE ? ….Dorace Armstrong ? JAG

- It’s a reason this organization couldn't wait to ousted Tomsula outta here with the quickness,..s along with Mike Nolan,..

- Aldon ? .. I’d rather move on,. just continuing to add new blood to the mix of Gregory and Anae, ..and I’m not definitely no longer in favor Aldon starting at DE any more.
I dunno if the 31 year old who had been out of football period for 4 years, indeed had hit a wall physically ,…mind you with just after the 3rd game,
there were times where, like some noted others, I thought Aldon was going thru the motions and seem like he didn’t want to be here.

-Some had questioned his motor and effort. One thing for sure, ..he didn’t look explosive at all thru most of the season- he lumbered !! it actually became painful to watch.
but I hope some other NFL team out bid us for Aldon services.

I'd rather have a DL coach who is astute enough to flex- move DLaw inside at nickel DT ,and mismatch him up against slower interior OGs - ala Jason Tuck style.
while the likes of Anae, etc can rush the edge on those nickel downs. o_O
I'm think more of a #3 DE, who can also kick inside against the pass. We aren't going to fill all our needs in 1 off-season, got to plug so holes as best as possible. I think Aldon is worth a modest contract, say 5 million

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I approve of the re-signing of Aldon Smith. Give him more game time if he is getting more money.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
No more projects and wishes. Saw too many games where the dude looked like he literally couldn't move his feet. "Conditioning" or schemes ain't no excuse for that kind of effort, although I realize lazy play is allowed here. Let him go elsewhere.

75boyz

Reaction score
After about the 3rd or 4th game I thought his performance was jag like.

Depth chart/draft should offer depth behind Lawrence and Gregory.

Creeper

Reaction score
My question would be his effort on the field but.maybe a full game season took a lot outta him mentally, ..physically ...and emotionally.
and if we had teams vying to trade for him, then it doesn't seem like he'll accept peanuts to go play to what will likely be his last NFL contract at age 32.

And kudos of credit to Aldon for proving he could stay out of trouble in the brink of a long football season without incidents.
it may come up in contract talks, but any NFL team of interest wont be as leery or timid about him this time around as a FA.

Agreed. I don't think he will want peanuts either, and he is better than that, even at age 32. I would not be surprised if he gets $6 million to $10 million a year in a 1 or 2 year deal. I don't think the Cowboys will offer him that much though.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't think he will want peanuts either, and he is better than that, even at age 32. I would not be surprised if he gets $6 million to $10 million a year in a 1 or 2 year deal. I don't think the Cowboys will offer him that much though.

will be surprised if Dallas matches his UFA offers.

he had excellent stats. 5 sacks. 48 tackles. 14 qb hits.

any team needing a starting DE will pay him $$$.

RichmondFan

Reaction score
Aldon Smith looked good early on, then appeared to run out of gas. Many would argue he looked good against a poor Seattle OL then decent against the rest of the competition. However, he was second with the team with sacks and pressures.

With Randy Gregory now in the fold, it might not be a bad idea to resign Aldon to a reasonable extension. Based on his 2020 production, his contract should be somewhat affordable.

He can rotate in at defensive end to keep everyone fresh or even kick inside at DT. Certainly has the weight these days to become an interior player being close to 300 lbs. In a rotational role, he could still be a valuable rusher at an affordable rate.
He needs to lose about 20 pounds to get his quickness back. He's at 285, too fat. Same 20 lbs with Elliott. He's fat.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He needs to lose about 20 pounds to get his quickness back. He's at 285, too fat. Same 20 lbs with Elliott. He's fat.
Don't think he's fat at all, just gotten too big. If he did trim down, could see more explosiveness return.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pass. Smith will be 32 next season and while he showed some flash early last year, he was essentially by season’s end a rotational JAG. We would be better served either through the draft or signing a younger FA with more upside.

Good luck to Aldon Smith. He showed some character last year just being able to come back and play in the NFL after that long lay off. I admire his perseverance and commitment.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

And here again we fall back on FO brain trust.
How would any of us minions know?
Would seem to very simple evaluation of player, if I was in charge of player evaluation, I am fairly certain that I could have a reasonable evaluation of a players dedication in about 5 minute observation.
But thats just coming from an ignorant normal minion.
Jerry pays millions for that prognosis.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They made a mistake on his contract.

should have gone with a two year plus deal.

of course, the one year deal saved on the cap.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

If possible, hells bells sign him up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
will be surprised if Dallas matches his UFA offers.

he had excellent stats. 5 sacks. 48 tackles. 14 qb hits.

any team needing a starting DE will pay him $$$.
I hope they do. A 3rd round pick would be a nice win for us.

CowboysLegend365

Reaction score
If they weren’t going to re-sign him then there was no need to hold on to him at the trade deadline. :facepalm: