Thoughts about last night's win-it's ok to win ugly!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Funny you mentioned this......I was thinking the same thing. He had his issues with penalties, no doubt, but has McGovern improved the position?
Run game clearly has been worse since his demotion, it is probably contributing to the problem, but there are other factors too.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Offensive line getting him killed?

26 other NFL QBs have been sacked more than Dakota. Rayne has been sacked 18 times for an average of less than 2 per game.....and no , it’s not his escapability that’s causing that because we all know he’s moving like he’s running in concrete.

The offensive line can be blamed for their run blocking but they are giving Elite pass protection and their sack numbers back that up

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/passing-plays-sacked
Dak’s mobility mitigates some of the rush but it doesn’t take a great thinker to see he rarely has a clean pocket. Suspend your bias and watch the last 2 weeks. You really think this OL is doing the job?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Teams know Dak is not going to run with the ball. He again last night rolled out and receivers were covered and he had a lot of open field in front of him he stopped at the LOS and threw to Lamb who was pretty much covered. He should have caught it but Dak had a easy 10 yards. The saints knew he wasn’t going to run. After the calf injury he won’t do it. I think he tweaked the ankle also and is concerned or maybe mental. I don’t blame him after that kind of injury. But makes it harder for him without using his legs..

And I am not hating on Dak. I really like him. He is a good QB. Using his legs makes him a top 5..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Our coaches had best make good use of the 10 days ahead to resolve so many problems facing them. Smart decisions are needed. :omg:

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Our coaches had best make good use of the 10 days ahead to resolve so many problems facing them. Wise decisions await. :omg:
Just get healthy. We should have played better on Defense. D-Law played well but we should have had many sacks. We let a qb that was a third string and had a splint on his finger do what ever he wanted to..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just get healthy. We should have played better on Defense. D-Law played well but we should have had many sacks. We let a qb that was a third string and had a splint on his finger do what ever he wanted to..

Resolving the limitations of their OL should be high on the list of things to fix. We need another RB to replace Zeke for sure, now that he's hurt. Getting Randy Gregory back should help to resolve the pass rush on defense. Returning Tristen Hill at DT will help bolster run stops and pass rush pressure.

shabazz

Reaction score
Dak’s mobility mitigates some of the rush but it doesn’t take a great thinker to see he rarely has a clean pocket. Suspend your bias and watch the last 2 weeks. You really think this OL is doing the job?

The numbers aren’t biased nor do they lie.......and that goes for the rushing production as a result of this same offensive line

glimmerman

Reaction score
Resolving the limitations of their OL should be high on the list of things to fix. We need another RB to replace Zeke for sure, now that he's hurt. Getting Randy Gregory back should help to resolve our pass rushing on defense. The return of Tristen Hill at DT might to bolster our run stops and pass rush pressure.
And Osi looked good last night. He plays good having D-Law in the line. Defense will get better. Did they pull Elliot last night or did play the whole game. He was for sure not himself.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The numbers aren’t biased nor do they lie.......and that goes for the rushing production as a result of this same offensive line
I was counting 8 saints on the line at times last night. Most of the time was 7. You can’t block all those players every down..

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
And Osi looked good last night. He plays good having D-Law in the line. Defense will get better. Did they pull Elliot last night or did play the whole game. He was for sure not himself.

They sat Zeke down more toward the end when he wasn't effective. He needs to be tended to, religiously, in the next 10 days.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
They need to spend these 11 days figuring out how to fix their ground attack. Is it due to Zeke's injury? Connor Williams being replaced? Playcalling? Defensive scheme against them?

OL seeming to have trouble run blocking is at least one of the issues.

glimmerman

Reaction score
They sat Zeke down more toward the end when he wasn't effective. He needs to be tended to religiously in the next 10 days.
I totally agree. You can’t say he isn’t tough. I think he got 30 something yards. Grabbed a 10 yarder in his last carry.
Usually that 10 yards is a lot more. Pollard ran well..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
-Heading into last night, I sensed the Cowboy offense would have their struggles, unlike the Saint offense, pretty much their defense was healthy. Strong against the run and have a good secondary personnel. It was indeed tough sledding all night long.

-What has happened to the Cowboy run game? Probably need a separate discussion. I will say this, Kellen Moore deserves some blame. Why in the world did it take 3 qtr's to give an outside run to Pollard when the Saints bottled up the interior? Those 4th Qtr play passing calls protecting the lead, c'mon.

-Having Cooper back, even as pretty much a decoy, opened up the offense. Thought that 3rd down catch was huge to get the offense going to lead to their 1st td. Lamb in the slot, makes the Cowboy passing offense that more difficult to defend.

-Thought the OL pass protected well, Dak had ample time in the pocket to go through his reads. Two things that are worrisome in regards to Dak, he refuses to use his legs and he was forcing some passes, looked like he was trying to play hero ball at times.

-What can you say about Parsons, total stud. He was in on the 2 game changing plays of the game, tipped the ball that Kearse intercepted and made that sack to take NO out of FG range late. He not only shows up, but shows up on the money downs. We have ourselves a megastar!

-Thought in limited snaps, DLaw played well in both the run and rushing the passer. Did notice him playing inside on the nickel, which I think will happen more when Gregory returns.

-Hill absolutely destroyed our run defense. They kept on running the same play over and over, and yet the Cowboy D just couldn't stop him. Linebackers, outside of Parsons are total trash and both Kazee/Diggs are perhaps the worst tacklers at their respective positions. This is a big problem.

-Cowboys got a big time favorable call with that blindside block. Just awful, but I guess after all those bad calls last week, they were due to get one in their favor.

-A win is a win in this league, especially a conference win. Right now it's all about fixing their run game and they are ready to embark on the final stretch run with a huge game next Sunday against Washington.
That blindside block call was awful. But as I expected, they made up for it later. The pass they intercepted only happened because Dak got his face slapped hard as he was throwing the pass. It was pretty obvious, but no flag...so I don't feel bad about the call that went our way.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Oline needs to play better. I don't think the offense will get back to where it was until the running game improves. We need more 2nd/3rd and short situations and less 2nd/3rd and long situations.

On defense the dline is coming along but they need to mix up the man to man and zone more. Our guys are getting picked too much and leaving WRs wide open.