Thoughts on Bo Scarbrough

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jason 82 Witten, Aug 11, 2018.

1. ItzKelz

ItzKelz Well-Known Member

3,833 Messages
    4,155 Likes Received
    Still dont think he will make the team.

2. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

16,547 Messages
    27,595 Likes Received
    He's purely a downhill runner and must have the holes because he was not the pile mover you would expect at Bama and the NFL guys are bigger and better. But if he can get that hole inside the 5, he's difficult to tackle and while he is not fast, he is quick to get up to speed.

There is a reason with the return of the RB that he lasted until he was picked. One thing NFL guys know is that Saban's lines are better than half the ones in the NFL. Bo needs that OL.

3. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

12,971 Messages
    6,447 Likes Received

dont break the legend brah

waving monkey likes this.
  4. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

37,250 Messages
    36,187 Likes Received
    Goes with what I read. That he is basically a one cut runner. He can cut, then he just needs to run. He will not make defenders miss from hitting him and slowing him up (not that he is fast) enough for other to get there for the tackle. He has no moves after that 1st cut.

So he really is not needed at the goal line or short yardage. As that is gearing what may is coming. Not that the staff would run inside the 5 with this OL. :laugh:

Zeke has the moves and power, so does Rod. We do not need Bo.

5. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

3,241 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    Rod Smith as our 2nd RB and FB would give the team more flexibility with the roster.

6. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

8,142 Messages
    3,005 Likes Received
    I think we need to see Bo out there with the first team to get a better gauge of what he can do. I don't know why they put Rod Smith out there to start the game. Nothing against Rod Smith. But, we know what he can do. Rotate Bo and Jackson out there to start the game. That would give us a better idea of their talent.

As things stand right now, I doubt the Cowboys would be able to sneak Bo onto the PS.

7. CouchCoach

16,547 Messages
    27,595 Likes Received
    I agree and don't know why we took a RB but there is the Garrett-Saban relationship and that's how we ended up with McClain.

jazzcat22 and America's Cowboy like this.
  8. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

11,793 Messages
    12,301 Likes Received
    I wasn’t aware that Rod was over 6 foot and 230.

9. CouchCoach

16,547 Messages
    27,595 Likes Received
    He wouldn't be there long the way RB's hit the Injury reports.

10. Streetwise

Streetwise Well-Known Member

9,401 Messages
    10,011 Likes Received
    So angry.

So what if he looked slower than 4.5?

11. Dre11

Dre11 Well-Known Member

6,724 Messages
    4,117 Likes Received
    Lol, it's one preseason game and he was with the second unit, once he's behind a good line his game will pop. He doesn't look good inside because there wasn't much run there, he not shifty he's a downhill runner. He'll need room inside to be effective.

12. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

7,098 Messages
    10,395 Likes Received
    CC, it's that Purple Drank they are drinking! :Do_O;)

13. Typhus

Typhus Catching Catfish

3,447 Messages
    3,174 Likes Received
    Big and Strong,, can actually add more leg strength within the next 2-3 yrs, .. his biggest attribute will be can you catch the ball and be a Dak security blanket now that Wittin is gone, and can you pick up your pass blocking assignments.

ShiningStar likes this.
  14. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Looked really slow to the hole from what I saw.

RBs don't need to be all that fast - a solid first down run is 15 feet. They need to have that burst to hit the hole while it's open, get that yards that are there, then hit someone on the other side. Scarbrough isn't that kind of guy. He's got legit 4.5 speed once he gets going, but he's not going to explode through the hole. Given that he doesn't add any real value outside of running - passing game chops, STs, etc - and he doesn't run as well as his height/weight/speed numbers would indicate, he's kind of a tough sell on the 53.

He did show off his strengths on that one long run though. Shrugged off a linebacker trying to tackle him and took off for 30 yards downfield. If nothing else, he is still a really big and fast dude.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  15. CouchCoach

16,547 Messages
    27,595 Likes Received
    Ha and was I caught off guard, I'd never heard of it but a lot of posters knew what that is, which explains a lot of posts.

Techsass and America's Cowboy like this.
  16. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

13,463 Messages
    16,494 Likes Received
    He said he looked "faster than expected." Meaning the "college tape he watched" he somehow missed a signature feature of Bo....his straight line speed.

And if you know @xwalker he prides himself on being some kind of amateur scout and will lord that over people when they have a different opinion than he does. He does it in that post...essentially mocking people who thought he was "a steal" in the 7th round.

I'm not angry just perceptive and willing to call people out on a lazy Saturday.

WillieBeamen and jwitten82 like this.
  17. CouchCoach

16,547 Messages
    27,595 Likes Received
    Agree but is he a necessity? If Zeke goes down, could he replace him? I don't think so. He's a one dimensional back and that roster spot is needed.

18. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

13,481 Messages
    4,475 Likes Received
    He needs to learn to lower the boom on secondary players. I hate seeing big backs race to the sideline. He should of stiff armed or try to lay the boom to that qb could of maybe had a touchdown. I know his speed is underated. He was leaving guys that where behind him. They where not catching back up to him.

America's Cowboy likes this.
  19. beware_d-ware

beware_d-ware Well-Known Member

3,048 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    Nah, Bo's not that guy. Rod's our Zeke replacement for this year - he showed well enough last year to have the #2 gig sewn up.

I think we just drafted Scarbrough as a 7th round dart throw on physical talent alone - and hey it's the 7th round, I'm fine with that. But I think people see this giant Derrick Henry-ish back running behind our line and get their hopes up way higher than they should be. If he was a 7th round guard or CB or something, everyone would go "yeah, he's a practice squad stash if he even makes it through camp." But I'm hearing people talk about him spelling Zeke and stuff in the regular season and it seems kind of crazy.

pancakeman likes this.
  20. Batman1980

Batman1980 Well-Known Member

5,212 Messages
    7,817 Likes Received
    Not enough wiggle, lacks the speed to finish at the second level, runs too high so can't properly punish smaller players at the end of runs.