Thoughts on Bo Scarbrough

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jason 82 Witten, Aug 11, 2018.

1. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

2,305 Messages
    805 Likes Received
    He has a shot...I think it is important he try to do as many things possible to help the team out. The more he can do, the better his shot will be.

I always thought he was overhyped a little here when drafted. There were times where he looked like one of the best backs in college. Not many...but some big games. You got to remember what was around him though. In addition, there was a good chance if he came back for another year at Alabama that he would have been 4th on the depth chart. Alabama's starter is back and they have two studs behind him who are going to be very tough to keep of the field this year.

I hope he makes a strong case to make the team. I think he can fit a certain skill this team wants. The question is can he fill any other skills this team needs.

2. CF74

CF74 Vet Min Plus

22,829 Messages
    10,421 Likes Received

Lots of upside, happy feet, could improve waiting on his blocks to develop however he had scrubs on the line. I’d imagine if he played with the 1’s there would be some holes. I was expecting more north and south but again, our back ups were not doing him any favors. Need to see more but I like what I see so far..

gp_cowpolk likes this.
  3. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Well-Known Member

2,173 Messages
    1,919 Likes Received
    Good point Sam. For some reason I was expecting more of a tackle busting Marion Barber style runner, but he wasn't.
    I was expecting more, but I was left a little skeptical.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    SoupcanSam likes this.
  4. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

12,654 Messages
    9,809 Likes Received
    He’s a nice player to stash on the PS
    He’s not gonna be on the 53
    Just no way you cut Lance or a DT or even a dB for him

5. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

13,198 Messages
    15,169 Likes Received
    That's what I don't like about Bo. It was taking him a runway to get going.

The key to being an inside runner is not size, it's quite simply how quickly a runner can get to the hole and how well they can "get skinny" to get through the hole.

For some reason, people picture inside runners as behemoths, and that's just not the case.

Techsass and beware_d-ware like this.
  6. DiResta

DiResta Well-Known Member

3,589 Messages
    5,530 Likes Received
    Rod does everything though. hes reliable pass pro and running routes, ST, all that stuff and hes probably serviceable as fullback if they had to put him back there temporarily

i thought it would be nice to have a quick, shifty guy to change of pace but they seem to want bruisers
    plus they already have Tavon if they need a gimmick
    you could get a big guy that loves contact but if he sucked at everything else hes just wasting a roster spot

7. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

13,521 Messages
    16,234 Likes Received
    The good news with Bo lately is that he's doing well on special teams. That, in itself, makes a good case for him sticking around.

8. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

5,281 Messages
    3,604 Likes Received
    Agree, most of those guys on that OL will be at subway by the end of the month working.

9. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Village Idiot

9,504 Messages
    9,015 Likes Received
    Probably a practice squad player.

10. Pants

Pants Well-Known Member

5,123 Messages
    6,186 Likes Received
    taking a guy in the 7th round makes him a project, and he is 4th or 5th on the depth chart? hoping he does well, but hard to tell when he was not running behind the all-pro line..so, would he look really good with that in front of him? likely would look better - he seemed to have soft hands which is good for a guy his size

I am taking a wait-and-see approach on him; I am on record as I can't stand anyone from Alabama since I think they all seem to flop in the NFL for the most part despite being national champ contenders every year (perhaps they don't follow the same rules as everyone else? **cough-cough STEROIDS cough-cough** - who knows why none of them are studs in the NFL); that being thrown out there, I like this kid and want to see what he can do

11. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Well-Known Member

15,707 Messages
    26,010 Likes Received
    This is not a big play team but the starter can take it to the house. This offense is more about drives and moving the chains and if they can convert 3rd downs, speed doesn't matter.

YPC can be a misleading stat if a back gets some long runs to jack that stat. That's the Barry Sanders stat, great YPC but also led in tackles for losses.

The thing about both of these RBs is that can they stay up after the first contact and get those additional yards that could be the difference between a 1st down and a punt. Both of these guys are more power backs.

I saw Bo do a lot of that at Bama when he got up a head of steam but that was college but the SEC has the best D's. I don't know if he's a NFL RB.

12. daboyzruleperiod

daboyzruleperiod ♡☆

14,789 Messages
    35,096 Likes Received
    Bo isn't a guy you want to risk to waivers in September, folks.

13. Sydla

Sydla Well-Known Member

35,013 Messages
    49,741 Likes Received
    Until they actually start using Austin a lot in practice as a TB, this plan to stash him on the roster as a TB is silly IMO.

If they carry 3 TBs, Scarborough or Jackson are making the 53.

14. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

12,293 Messages
    9,605 Likes Received
    Is Bo better? He doesn’t seem to be any tougher inside and he isn’t considered as good a receiver.

15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

53,352 Messages
    84,967 Likes Received
    We shall see but I believe he's a better between the tackles runner than Smith.

Rod or Emmitt.

16. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

12,293 Messages
    9,605 Likes Received
    Surely you were joking when you said Emmitt. Bo may be a larger man than Emmitt, but Emmitt made a Hall of Fame, all time rushing leader career out of running between the tackles.

kskboys likes this.
  17. zerofill

zerofill Well-Known Member

2,236 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    I would be wearing a titanium plate on the front of me if I was running that tall. I am guessing Sean Lee isn't out there during any of Bo's reps... I would expect him to fold him like a suitcase.

18. tomsanders921

tomsanders921 Well-Known Member

1,983 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    I don't think he makes the 53. His problem is he really can't be touched until he crosses the line. He needs to get up to speed before he can be effective. He is not the type that will make a guy miss in the backfield either. I would much rather roll with Jackson as the third rb

kskboys likes this.
  19. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

13,198 Messages
    15,169 Likes Received
    I don't know why people keep harping on this idea of between the tackles running is usually done by a big dude. You gotta be able to get through a quickly closing hole, being too wide is generally a handicap. Ask Trent Richardson!!!!

beware_d-ware likes this.
  20. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

12,293 Messages
    9,605 Likes Received
    Obviously strength is an asset, but it is far from the only one. Even a very strong man will have trouble if he can’t read the blocking and see the seams.