News: Thoughts on cutting Tyron Smith

Tussinman

Reaction score
I can’t be the only one sick of him always getting hurt.
I'm more mad at McGovern getting beat immediately off the line like a highschooler and crashing into him more so then being mad at Tyron himself (not his fault this organization is a joke and wasted his hall of fame career).

Of the 8 non-cowboy lineman that made the all decade team there was only 1 that didn't play in a superbowl. That should be telling on how this organization has wasted him and Martins career

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I'm more mad at McGovern getting beat immediately off the line like a highschooler and crashing into him more so then being mad at Tyron himself (not his fault this organization is a joke and wasted his hall of fame career).

Of the 8 non-cowboy lineman that made the all decade team there was only 1 that didn't play in a superbowl. That should be telling on how this organization has wasted him and Martins career
He’s had his fair share of mistakes too. He’s not the player he used to be and I’m just tired of the missed games year after year. I don’t see the hunger anymore. I want a younger hungrier guy.

freemanjc19

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/tyron-smith/663/

I’ve seen a lot of people say he can’t be cut because of his contract. But if he’s designated a post-June 1st cut it’s only a 4 million dollar hit and saves us 13 million. Have to see what we have in Steele and Ball. Let’s be honest he was pretty bad and we need to move on from his injuries.

He's not getting cut. You don't cut LT's without replacement. You're going to see Restructuring Amari Cooper’s deal creates 14.2 million in cap space, Restructuring Zach Martin’s deal creates 8 million in cap space, possible Releasing Blake Jarwin saves 4.25, releasing Anthony Brown saves 5 million in cap space, restructure DeMarcus Lawrence (his potential release would save 8 million where a restructure would save 11 million), La’el Collins (a restructure saves 6 million), Greg Zuerlein (a release saves half a million)/. All this can be done without Restructuring Dak. Restructuring Dak Prescott’s deal creates another 14.2 million in cap space. which is the first restructure that is going to happen. They have can get a total of 70.65 Million if they want to lose their mind, but I think Collins, Dak, and Martin will be the first restructures.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/tyron-smith/663/

I’ve seen a lot of people say he can’t be cut because of his contract. But if he’s designated a post June 1st cut it’s only a 4 million dollar hit and saves us 13 million. Have to see what we have in Steele and Ball. Let’s be honest he was pretty bad and we need to move on from his injuries.

No because ALL FANS FEEL LIKE WE CAN'T PLAY WITHOUT HIM, that was about 5 years ago, he's been on the decline for years now, gets easily beaten, always gets a flag

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Aikman needs to stop drinking. Could only imagine how he'd crucify Dallas had him & his sidekick call the game.

As blood shot as Aikman’s eyes look during broadcasts I’m starting to wonder if he is drinking. He needs some extra strength Visine.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys aren’t cutting Tyron until they find a solid replacement. They need to start looking in the draft this April. They need at least three replacements on the OL to fix it and Tyron isn’t one of them. Granted he’s not what he was but still pretty good when he’s healthy.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Compared to what team?
And by what tangible measure?

PFF ranked then #1 in their final rankings

If you dont like PFF (and I get it) another prominant service also had them #1
I did find one service that ranked them 5th…that was the lowest

Overhaul 5th?
Well my eyes told me something extremely different.

LG, C and RT were all a huge issue

Creeper

Reaction score
31 NFL teams will be ecstatic of Dallas cuts Tyron Smith. If you want him gone, then at least trade him. At $13.5 million he is a bargain for an top rated LT.

Then, while they are at it, let's get rid of La'el Collins too! Surely the OL will be much better without them!

Can we all just settle down? Cutting all these players is not going to make things better.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can’t cut. Trade maybe. No way I cut him. Can’t have 3 new players on line. Already need 2. That’s plenty.
Trade? Are you kidding? Who would trade for Tyron Smith? He’s almost totally done, has a big contract and may be available if someone wanted to pick him up off waivers.

Look, I love Tyron Smith. He’s been a great player. He was my favorite Cowboy for years. But he’s done. He’s missed 32 games in the last 6 years. That’s the equivalent of almost two full seasons. He hasn’t played a full season since 2015. Were already hurting at LT!

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Tyron was beat multiple times Sunday and he’s been a shell of himself all year. TBH there wasn’t a massive drop off when he didn’t play.

He’s a great player when healthy, unfortunately that’s only a couple games a season

stiletto

Reaction score
I doubt they cut but I do think they should draft his replacement. Whoever that is will get several games next year to "work himself" into the role. Everyone knows Tyron is almost done.

Ren

Reaction score
Smith is still good the 5 games a year he’s available…

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
No chance he gets cut. Smith, Lawrence and Zeke will all be back next year.

DaBoys12

Reaction score
Trade? Are you kidding? Who would trade for Tyron Smith? He’s almost totally done, has a big contract and may be available if someone wanted to pick him up off waivers.

Look, I love Tyron Smith. He’s been a great player. He was favorite Cowboy for years. But he’s done. He’s missed 32 games in the last 6 years. That’s the equivalent of almost two full seasons. He hasn’t played a full season since 2015. Were already hurting at LT!

I love Tyron too, appreciate all he has done. This team will need to make some serious decision’s this off season to get under the cap. He has to be on that list, and considered for sure.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think Tyron plays one more year max. It would good to draft a OT in the first three rounds, and have him learn from Tyron for a year...plus drafted OT will get 4-7 starts to apply his teachings.