News: Thoughts on cutting Tyron Smith

conner01

Reaction score
No chance he gets cut. Smith, Lawrence and Zeke will all be back next year.
Before you can cut any player who creates a cap hit you must first figure out the 13 mil we are already over
Most of these posts are fantasies
Like trading Dak
Dak is gonna be restructured because they don’t have many other options to clear enough money to get the 13 mil we are already over, sign draft picks and add enough players to just fill out the roster

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/player/tyron-smith/663/

I’ve seen a lot of people say he can’t be cut because of his contract. But if he’s designated a post June 1st cut it’s only a 4 million dollar hit and saves us 13 million. Have to see what we have in Steele and Ball. Let’s be honest he was pretty bad and we need to move on from his injuries.

I invite you to watch that 49ers game again. I rewatched it last night and the problem isn't La'el and Tyron, they played great. Tyron didn't give not one of those 5 sacks, and he hasn't given up a sack all year, and La'el only got beat once, on that play that injured Bosa. The sacks came up the middle. Even Martin gave up one. The problem is Connor and Tyler.

I'm no GM so I'm not acting like I know how to run a team here. But since we will be short on money and a lot of FAs, I would move La'el to left guard, let Connor walk unless he take the minimum, if he takes the minimum he's a backup, move Steele to right tackle and let's try to find a replacement for Tyler in the draft or free agency while giving Matt a close look in training camp. Steele put in a lot of work in the off season to make that leap, maybe Matt can do the same. La'el already gave his blessing earlier in the year when he came back from suspension saying he's a natural at left guard. Steele played very well at right tackle when La'el was out.

But that said, yes we need to be looking for Tyron's replacement in this draft. FOR SURE the next draft since we will have a lot of FAs leaving and we need a good draft to replace them all.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Let's play the game. Cut Smith then who starts? Josh ball? Smith for 13 games is better than most for 17

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I invite you to watch that 49ers game again. I rewatched it last night and the problem isn't La'el and Tyron, they played great. Tyron didn't give not one of those 5 sacks, and he hasn't given up a sack all year, and La'el only got beat once, on that play that injured Bosa. The sacks came up the middle. Even Martin gave up one. The problem is Connor and Tyler.

I'm no GM so I'm not acting like I know how to run a team here. But since we will be short on money and a lot of FAs, I would move La'el to left guard, let Connor walk unless he take the minimum, if he takes the minimum he's a backup, move Steele to right tackle and let's try to find a replacement for Tyler in the draft or free agency while giving Matt a close look in training camp. Steele put in a lot of work in the off season to make that leap, maybe Matt can do the same. La'el already gave his blessing earlier in the year when he came back from suspension saying he's a natural at left guard. Steele played very well at right tackle when La'el was out.

But that said, yes we need to be looking for Tyron's replacement in this draft. FOR SURE the next draft since we will have a lot of FAs leaving and we need a good draft to replace them all.
This is a blatant lie. Tyron was beaten several times vs the 49ers and Cardinals. Chandler Jones took him to the woodshed. He’s given ups sacks. That’s an embarrassing post.

BaileyRiley1

Reaction score
He’s had his fair share of mistakes too. He’s not the player he used to be and I’m just tired of the missed games year after year. I don’t see the hunger anymore. I want a younger hungrier guy.
When has Tyron ever showed any type of emotion to show his hunger?? That’s never been him

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’ve seen a lot of people say he can’t be cut because of his contract. But if he’s designated a post June 1st cut it’s only a 4 million dollar hit and saves us 13 million. Have to see what we have in Steele and Ball. Let’s be honest he was pretty bad and we need to move on from his injuries.

There are not "a lot of people" talking about cutting tyron in general. Just the usual board clowns trying to deflect the blame from Dak.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
This is a blatant lie. Tyron was beaten several times vs the 49ers and Cardinals. Chandler Jones took him to the woodshed. He’s given ups sacks. That’s an embarrassing post.

Romo said he's only given up 3 sacks in his last 40 games. I didn't believe it but here it is. Romo is a little wrong though. It's 2 sacks in 39 games.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=24796

Show me the sacks and the plays where Jones was taking him to the "woodshed" and I'll admit it is a terrible post. I'll wait....

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Compared to what team?
And by what tangible measure?

PFF ranked then #1 in their final rankings

If you dont like PFF (and I get it) another prominant service also had them #1
I did find one service that ranked them 5th…that was the lowest

Overhaul 5th?
If you think this line was anywhere close to the 5th best, there is no hope for you.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

no.

we don’t have a LT to replace him with.

Kingofholland

Reaction score

True, but the problem with the June 1st cut is we can't use any of that cap savings until after June 1st, but it's the only feasible way to move on. That leaves 4 million in dead cap this year and 8 million next year. He has 12 million in remaining guarantees, the prorated amount this year is 4 million and normally the remaining balance accelerates into the following season. Cap savings 13.5 million this year, 9 to 10 million in 2023.

Personally I think they would approach him about a salary cut, but he's still likely to get 10 million+ on the open market.

Loso86

Reaction score

What we don't need to do is create even MORE holes in our roster. We need to wait and see where we go and what we do before we start releasing everybody

DFWJC

Reaction score
If you think this line was anywhere close to the 5th best, there is no hope for you.
NO, I did NOT say they were anything
All I said was every professional ranking system....ALL OF THEM...say they are.

So don't insult me just because they all disagree with you.

If you think you're more qualified than teams of people watching every play of the season on every player.....good for you.

This has been a year of poor line play around the league.....they looked at every team and ranked them.

Did you?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo said he's only given up 3 sacks in his last 40 games. I didn't believe it but here it is. Romo is a little wrong though. It's 2 sacks in 39 games.

Show me the sacks and the plays where Jones was taking him to the "woodshed" and I'll admit it is a terrible post. I'll wait....
These people are whining about something that they have no real support for other than their perception....and also maybe to defend other players on the team.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

The whole team needs to be evaluated for play *outside division*.

I've always been for keeping Tyron, but I wonder what his outside division evaluation would look like. If he's just very good but not great, and the team comes up as very mediocre, it would be time to trade him for what we can get and move on. It's likely that time.

But no way Jerry does this. He'll cling to the wins and stats provided by the horrid NFC East to keep his dreams of a SB before he's done alive.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

Go watch the cardinals / Cowboys game. Chandler Jones beat him multiple times including a sack. I like Tyron as much as anyone but he brings no attitude anymore and that is lacking on this team. I won’t be surprised If Tyron and Cooper are both gone.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Let's play the game. Cut Smith then who starts? Josh ball? Smith for 13 games is better than most for 17

He played 11 games this year. He played 2 games last year.

What in the world makes you think that with one more year of wear and tear and age he is going to play anywhere near 13 games?

Hope is not a strategy.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Considering his injuries this year had nothing to do with his neck (after the surgery he had last year) and was ankle related this year...i would say keep him next year...anyone can have an ankle injury and those kind of things can linger but it doesn't have to be a reoccurring injury like his neck was for 2-3 seasons