Thoughts on Dan Campbell?

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I’d be a fan of this. He’d know from Payton and his own playing days what he’s getting into.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
ut one name that isn’t being talked about as much, but could potentially be the best possible fit for the Cowboys, is Dan Campbell. Currently serving as the Saints’ assistant head coach and tight ends coach, Campbell has 25/1 odds to be hired. While not nearly as famous as Meyer or Riley or McDaniels, Campbell would check a lot of boxes.

For starters, he comes from two very rich coaching trees. Obviously, Campbell currently serves as the top assistant to Sean Payton, and has done so for the last four seasons. Campbell has played an integral role in the Saints’ resurgence after enduring three straight 7-9 finishes; according to NFL.com’s Tom Pelissero, Campbell is “heavily involved” in the Saints’ running game, which features Alvin Kamara, as well as addressing the team every week on breaking down the upcoming opponent and summarizing keys to the game.

Campbell also works with the tight ends and has gotten solid production out of a constantly-changing position group since arriving in New Orleans

Are you his agent?

:cool:

Gaede

Reaction score
I like him as a candidate, provided he gets to pick his staff and players.

I think we would be a tough, hard hitting team under his guidance. And the current culture, imo, is the biggest problem with the team.

Creeper

Reaction score
I would bring him in for an interview. He has the right pedigree. Don;t know if I would hire him, but honestly, there is no coach out there who will come in and win a SB guaranteed. Even Jimmy Johnson could not come out of retirement and guarantee a SB. Let's look at Garrett's weaknesses. They are pretty obvious to me. He is a lousy game manager. He makes bad decisions in games. He doesn't sense the flow of the game - someone referred to this as situational football and I like that. He does not prepare his teams well. Does not make good or timely adjustments during games and IMO, he does not use the talent on his team appropriately. These are just a few of the bigger issues. I'd interview Campbell and a bunch of other guys and get their thoughts on the Cowboys and see who see the problems and has some answers. You can a tell a person has leadership qualities in about 5 minutes of an interview.

LittleD

Reaction score
I like him as a candidate, provided he gets to pick his staff and players.

I think we would be a tough, hard hitting team under his guidance. And the current culture, imo, is the biggest problem with the team.
Not unless Jerry stands aside and lets him totally control the players. Jerry seems to play player favorites which causes locker problems.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
the mediocre people wanting to get more mediocre. i wish instead of looking at Meh coaches, some fans get on the "standard" train and shoot higher

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
I'll admit he was not high on my list but after reading this he could very be the best-fit no one's talking about. Nothing pretty or sexy but checks all the boxes, especially leadership. If you like Parcell sounds like he's about as close as you'll find ( gets a strong endorsement from Parcell BTW).

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...g-candidate-nobody-is-talking-about-dan-campb

The one Cowboys head coaching candidate nobody is talking about: Dan Campbell
He’s not a big name, but he could have big success.

By David Howman@_DH44_ Nov 30, 2019, 2:00pm CSTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)
usa_today_11998939.0.jpg
Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports
The Cowboys are now sitting at 6-6 after getting embarrassed by the Buffalo Bills at home on national television, and depending on who you listen to, Jerry Jones has already decided he’s going to move on from Jason Garrett unless the embattled head coach can somehow win a Super Bowl.
Too Alpha for the Jones family. Next!

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
the mediocre people wanting to get more mediocre. i wish instead of looking at Meh coaches, some fans get on the "standard" train and shoot higher
And then I also agree with this sentiment. He might be a great rah rah guy, hard-nosed, all of that, but he may be just like JG when it comes to the lack of ability to get this roster to play over-the-top and get it done.

Gaede

Reaction score
Not unless Jerry stands aside and lets him totally control the players. Jerry seems to play player favorites which causes locker problems.

Yeah. My hope is that he would channel Parcells a bit. Parcels eventually relented to Jerry, but that was because he was old and tired. Perhaps a young Parcels prodigy would be able to withstand JJs pressure

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I'll admit he was not high on my list but after reading this he could very be the best-fit no one's talking about. Nothing pretty or sexy but checks all the boxes, especially leadership. If you like Parcell sounds like he's about as close as you'll find ( gets a strong endorsement from Parcell BTW).

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...g-candidate-nobody-is-talking-about-dan-campb

The one Cowboys head coaching candidate nobody is talking about: Dan Campbell
He’s not a big name, but he could have big success.

By David Howman@_DH44_ Nov 30, 2019, 2:00pm CSTShare this on Facebook (opens in new window)
usa_today_11998939.0.jpg
Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports
The Cowboys are now sitting at 6-6 after getting embarrassed by the Buffalo Bills at home on national television, and depending on who you listen to, Jerry Jones has already decided he’s going to move on from Jason Garrett unless the embattled head coach can somehow win a Super Bowl.
NO

LittleD

Reaction score
Yeah. My hope is that he would channel Parcells a bit. Parcels eventually relented to Jerry, but that was because he was old and tired. Perhaps a young Parcels prodigy would be able to withstand JJs pressure

I wish he had more skins on the wall. He would need to stand up to Jerry like Parcels did when he first met with Jerry and staked his ground.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's even having to ask that question that worries me. If I even have to consider whether or not the new guy can "withstand Jerry" then they become a far less appealing candidate.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Here is the thing though. This guy has already been learning and has significant NFL coaching experience on his resume. This is not a Garrett-type hire. Campbell's been around for a long time and has earned his shot, fair and square.
Not really. He's been a TE coach for 8 years. That's it.

I'd want someone with at least some coordinator duties.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
There is only one question. Is he willing to absorb a variety of current Dallas coordinators and assistant coaches? If so, that pushes him to the front of the pack.

Gaede

Reaction score
It's even having to ask that question that worries me. If I even have to consider whether or not the new guy can "withstand Jerry" then they become a far less appealing candidate.
But it has to be asked of everyone. Even two hall of fame head coaches couldn't deal with him.

Gaede

Reaction score
Not really. He's been a TE coach for 8 years. That's it.

I'd want someone with at least some coordinator duties.
Interim head coach is a good title to have, as well as assistant head coach.

I'm not so concerned about whether they were ever coordinators so long as they have philosophy for the team and actually live up to it