CFZ Thoughts on the tough road loss-GB redo?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Thought this was going to be a real tight game where we would be able to win it late in the 4th quarter. This game was eerie similar to the GB overtime loss which hopefully won't overshadow what's to come. Another huge cushion created by the offense and yet the defense couldn't hold it up. If this defense wants to be considered elite, they cannot allow this to happen and happen multiple times.

Offense

-First of all, all this Dak hate on this site is beyond ridiculous, do you watch the games? He was fantastic outside of one bad interception down near the goal line. When he needed to change the momentum and drive the entire field for the go ahead score he did it. The interception in OT hit the receivers hands and should of been caught, which would of been a 1st down.

-Receiving core is very, very suspect. Outside of Lamb who is looking like the player we thought we drafted, is anyone scare of us? Noah Brown is a good try hard receiver, but he is more of a 4th or 5th type on a winning club. He makes a lot of good plays, but struggles with those quick throws, this has happened a few times this year. Brown as the team's deep threat is laughable. Michael Gallup is a shell of his former self, cannot get any separation and hasn't caught one pass over 20 yards this season. There is a reason why the team signed Hilton and wants to also bring in Beckham, the group is average at best.

-Many wanted Jason Peters to become the Right Tackle starter, what I saw yesterday was a player who was more of a backup and struggled badly in pass protection. When Tyron was in the game, he was night and day better.

-Really questionable call by Kellen Moore late, have no problem trying to end the game with a pass, but a 50/50 ball to Noah Brown down the field? Dak should of either taken an easy reception or took a knee to force Jax to burn their last timeout.

Defense

-The loss of strong role players really showed up yesterday. From Hankins stopping the inside runs, from Lve's run/coverage abilities and most importantly Brown on the outside. Many kill both Brown and Lve, but we see the value of them now. Barr looked slow and stiff, especially in coverage. Couldn't of been more wrong about Joseph, his blown coverage turned around the game for Jax. We now are at red light concern at the position, which they must figure out before the playoffs.

-Where has the pass rush gone? Bob Strum on the athletic wrote a piece last week about the lack of pressure over the last few weeks and it could hurt them moving forward. At one point, both Jacksonville's starting 2 tackles were out of the game, yet zero pressure. Jacksonville wasn't throwing short passes, either. Outside of Sam Williams, don't see any consistent pressure, what so ever. Parsons is a shell of his former self earlier in the season. If he fails to not be an impact defender, our defense is in big trouble. All the defense needed was 1 sack to finish the game and never got close. This defense is extremely overrated in my eyes, especially if they can no longer rush the passer. This is another area in flux.

-Defense just cannot give away a 17 point lead in the 2nd half. Don't care about the Dak interception as they got the ball near mid field after the penalty. Finish the damn game!!

-One positive on defense, Bland is becoming a legitimate star. I wonder if they move him to the outside now and start Alexander in the nickel.

Special Teams

-Turpin has really struggled recently, his returns have been very poor.

Season isn't over, the odds of the Eagles losing 2 games was looking very remote. Next week still is an important game, even though it doesn't affect the standings, this team needs to regain confidence. What is important now is to stay healthy and start to play good football to get ready for the postseason. Getting into the playoffs in back to back seasons has been rare, so let's enjoy the run!!

b0xZZ

Reaction score
-First of all, all this Dak hate on this site is beyond ridiculous, do you watch the games? He was fantastic outside of one bad interception down near the goal line. When he needed to change the momentum and drive the entire field for the go ahead score he did it. The interception in OT hit the receivers hands and should of been caught, which would of been a 1st down.

It's kind of silly to try and sum up his performance only uses INT's as the measuring stick. That said obviously he sucks at protecting the ball, 9 picks since week 10 says so. Chalk it up to bad luck or whatever but it doesn't really matter.

On top of that I don't see much pocket awareness and there were several plays against the Jags where he had receivers running wide open up the field and didn't even give them a look. Dak has a mental ability issue at this point being able to scheme and read defenses on the fly. Add in some suspect play calling and this is the inevitable outcome.

A really bad defensive showing aside, Dak is a franchise QB and he simply has to make better decisions. This is what his 7th year? I don't think it's just going to just magically happen at this point.

Our defense has given up 26 or more point's three times this season, all three were losses. That suggests to me that when we get into a passing offense or a shoot out style game, we lose!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The biggest issue is the defense struggles to make stops if they can't pressure/sack the QB. Can't stop the run and receivers are running free in the secondary. The inordinate amount of pressure they generated earlier in the season has fizzled lately and we're seeing the holes in the defense as a result.

Jipper

Reaction score
We just have too many injuries to overcome right now....on defense we were down 5 starters, that's pretty rough

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
-Really questionable call by Kellen Moore late, have no problem trying to end the game with a pass, but a 50/50 ball to Noah Brown down the field? Dak should of either taken an easy reception or took a knee to force Jax to burn their last timeout.

The call made no sense at all......surprised Dak didn't change it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's kind of silly to try and sum up his performance only uses INT's as the measuring stick. That said obviously he sucks at protecting the ball, 9 picks since week 10 says so. Chalk it up to bad luck or whatever but it doesn't really matter.

On top of that I don't see much pocket awareness and there were several plays against the Jags where he had receivers running wide open up the field and didn't even give them a look. Dak has a mental ability issue at this point being able to scheme and read defenses on the fly. Add in some suspect play calling and this is the inevitable outcome.

A really bad defensive showing aside, Dak is a franchise QB and he simply has to make better decisions. This is what his 7th year? I don't think it's just going to just magically happen at this point.

Our defense has given up 26 or more point's three times this season, all three were losses. That suggests to me that when we get into a passing offense or a shoot out style game, we lose!
No doubt Dak has to make better decisions and protect the ball more, but the receiver room is really lacking. Outside of the Giants, they probably are the worse group in the NFC playoffs. We cannot expect Noah Brown to carry this group as team's look to take away Lamb.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What is important now is to stay healthy and start to play good football to get ready for the postseason.

This should be the absolute No.1 priority over the next 3 games. Treat the next three games kind of like preseason. I would go back and break down every game this season looking at what worked and what didn't and use the next three games to work on my best plays.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Thought this was going to be a real tight game where we would be able to win it late in the 4th quarter. This game was eerie similar to the GB overtime loss which hopefully won't overshadow what's to come. Another huge cushion created by the offense and yet the defense couldn't hold it up. If this defense wants to be considered elite, they cannot allow this to happen and happen multiple times.

Offense

-Receiving core is very, very suspect. Outside of Lamb who is looking like the player we thought we drafted, is anyone scare of us? Noah Brown is a good try hard receiver, but he is more of a 4th or 5th type on a winning club. He makes a lot of good plays, but struggles with those quick throws, this has happened a few times this year. Brown as the team's deep threat is laughable. Michael Gallup is a shell of his former self, cannot get any separation and hasn't caught one pass over 20 yards this season. There is a reason why the team signed Hilton and wants to also bring in Beckham, the group is average at best.

-Many wanted Jason Peters to become the Right Tackle starter, what I saw yesterday was a player who was more of a backup and struggled badly in pass protection. When Tyron was in the game, he was night and day better.

Defense

-The loss of strong role players really showed up yesterday. From Hankins stopping the inside runs, from Lve's run/coverage abilities and most importantly Brown on the outside. Many kill both Brown and Lve, but we see the value of them now. Barr looked slow and stiff, especially in coverage. Couldn't of been more wrong about Joseph, his blown coverage turned around the game for Jax. We now are at red light concern at the position, which they must figure out before the playoffs.

-Where has the pass rush gone? Bob Strum on the athletic wrote a piece last week about the lack of pressure over the last few weeks and it could hurt them moving forward. At one point, both Jacksonville's starting 2 tackles were out of the game, yet zero pressure. Jacksonville wasn't throwing short passes, either. Outside of Sam Williams, don't see any consistent pressure, what so ever. Parsons is a shell of his former self earlier in the season. If he fails to not be an impact defender, our defense is in big trouble. All the defense needed was 1 sack to finish the game and never got close. This defense is extremely overrated in my eyes, especially if they can no longer rush the passer. This is another area in flux.

-Defense just cannot give away a 17 point lead in the 2nd half. Don't care about the Dak interception as they got the ball near mid field after the penalty. Finish the damn game!!

-One positive on defense, Bland is becoming a legitimate star. I wonder if they move him to the outside now and start Alexander in the nickel.

Special Teams

Season isn't over, the odds of the Eagles losing 2 games was looking very remote. Next week still is an important game, even though it doesn't affect the standings, this team needs to regain confidence. What is important now is to stay healthy and start to play good football to get ready for the postseason. Getting into the playoffs in back to back seasons has been rare, so let's enjoy the run!!

Loved what I saw from the O yesterday. Some of us have been begging for more designed QB runs and quick throws to the running back and they delivered. Good mix of run and pass and Dak was sharp. 34 points on the road should win...every time.

D just played awful. Backup CBs exposed, pass rush couldn't get home and run D continues to be an issue.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The call made no sense at all......surprised Dak didn't change it.

I'm certainly not making an excuse for the offense, coaches or players, but this is what happens when the defense decides to take away your ONLY receiving threat on a given play and you're left with Noah Freaking Brown or a 1-legged Gallup in a 1-on-1 matchup. I believe this is one of the plays Jax had 2 guys on CD forcing Dak to look elsewhere.

The high scoring, high ranked offensive numbers are nice but in the meat of a tight game or even a playoff game, this passing game is extremely vulnerable. This is probably why the front office is scrambling to add any legitimate WR off the street who can get open.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm certainly not making an excuse for the offense, coaches or players, but this is what happens when the defense decides to take away your ONLY receiving threat on a given play and you're left with Noah Freaking Brown or a 1-legged Gallup in a 1-on-1 matchup. I believe this is one of the plays Jax had 2 guys on CD forcing Dak to look elsewhere.

The high scoring, high ranked offensive numbers are nice but in the meat of a tight game or even a playoff game, this passing game is extremely vulnerable. This is probably why the front office is scrambling to add any legitimate WR off the street who can get open.

Either way, it was such a low-percentage play.......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No doubt Dak has to make better decisions and protect the ball more, but the receiver room is really lacking. Outside of the Giants, they probably are the worse group in the NFC playoffs. We cannot expect Noah Brown to carry this group as team's look to take away Lamb.

Speaking of which .........what the hell is going on with Gallup. I know KM took the blame a few weeks ago for not getting him involved more.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
Another another tough loss in the books, but we’re Dallas fans that we know and we know and we know this feeling from the JG era. It’s terrible we are office. Did you know points to win in the deepest let you down and then all of a sudden it’s the quarterbacks fault. It’s the same situation with Matt Ryan getting the blame for giving up a 33 to nothing leave when he doesn’t play defense.. I’m not understanding Kellen Moore’s obsession with passing on 3 and 4 when you have the run game that should definitely get 4 yards in 2 downs.

hey look, we are Dallas fans who are used to this year after year and it’s not like this is the first time is happening so shock factor is overwhelming.. and everyone in the world is living in a dream. If they thought that this team was going to actually catch the Eagles to take over the first place in the division. This was always a fifth season team especially with only about five games left. We already knew what seed we were going to be.

I’ll say this once again this loss is 100% on Dan Quinn and the defense the offense and Dak gave you enough points to win the game. All they had do is stop Jacksonville from going down and field and they could do that.. they look lost gas gassed.

Creeper

Reaction score
The 50/50 ball to Noah Brown was a really stupid mistake. First, Dak has been off on long throws lately. Second, if they felt they wanted to call that play, they should have called it to Gallup who excels at 50/50 balls. But the fact is they should have run the football and made the Jags burn their last time out.

But, even with that mistake they still should have won the game. With 25 seconds remaining at their own 44 Lawrence threw a 2 yard pass to Hasty, who was covered by Kearse. It was toward the sideline but if Kearse makes that tackle in bound. Jacksonville uses its last time out and at that point there would have been about 16 seconds left. But then on the next play, he throws a 5 yards pass to Engram who is at least 10 yards in bounds and Kearse again fails to make the tackle in bounds. Engram dragged him for about 5 to 10 yards. Again, Kearse was in coverage and failed to make the tackle in bounds. But the Jags were still on the Cowboys 49, to far for a FG with only 12 seconds left. Then came the killer. Lawrence threw a 19 yard pass to Zay Jones. who is becoming something of a Cowboys killer. That pass at that point in time was a knife in the heart. How do you allow a 19 yard pass to be completed at that point in the game? Diggs was in coverage I believe. Could be wrong. But at that point you can't allow a pass more than 5 yards.

75boyz

Reaction score
1st half was near dominant on both sides but especially offense as both running and passing were extremely effective.

3rd quarter was a disaster that was the exact opposite of the 1st half. The 4th quarter was a push of ineptitude by both teams while I held out hope for a game winning play. Then the overtime happened and the interception and that was that.

Team defense is declining at a rapid pace at QB pressure, coverage and basic tackling.
QB decision making in real time continues to be a huge problem.
Coaching is inconsistent and overall, inconsistency is what plagues this team.

Not a good look going forward.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

I agree with most of that not reading every word but i fee the same way..all the hate on Dak when half his INBTs this year are tipped balls, dropped passes and the fact his WRs outside of Lamb are not getting separation and hes throwing into tight widows a lot. hes also had his arm hit or body effected o follow throughs with that OL does not pass blocking well.. they are low in that category ranking and yet our QB is being blamed for trying to make things happen...

hes lost 2 games since his return GB and Jags bot with large 4th qtr leads and soem bad bounces and odd things happening those games but give it a rest that defense losing Brown, Hankins, lewis, LVE, DA etc etc has created issues now back to score 35 tin is the new narrative..thats the 2020 Cowboy ball, that how MN has to win games.

yes Our defense is Far more of concern than the O

I appreciate your effort to be the VOR and calm this place down. Im with you, 3 games to go we are in the playoffs, first goal is complete.

yesterday was a gut punch a kick in the cherries, but this isn't over by long shot in a week to week league and the playoff's will have their own very separate story, games are all different. im not concerned. just want to enjoy he 3 we have left.

nothing that happened this regular season will dictate the payoff game.. sorry, there isn't much carry over..new season coming.

yes Turpin needs to stopp ruinnig our out KOs..tired of srtig at the 15 let those roll into the EZ even if short or oiut of bounds, hes takign risks he doesn need to get ti to the 25 by simply doingnothing.

we are 10-4 goig to the payiffs and hav etime to sort this out..

but pease stop with Dak hate psost..dudes strted 3 games since his return wher eth efirst ha;lf hes been like near perect like 14-16 or 15-16 13-16 and got us big leads.. yes the INTs arent great but half of them are unflrtnate tips or the OL being poushed back into dak..even INT 1 i belive his arm was grazed from behind.either way a 17 point lead was and should have been enough to win.

we ahve a lot of bigger issues and hopefully TY helps the WR group nhut most of the issues are DEFENSE

lets spell it out..

DEFENSE

in the nfl a 14-17 point lead in the 4th str should win 99% of games and unfortunatly we are the 1% now TWICE in 6 weeks!!

Please let one of the other Cbs on the PS recently brought up replace KJ , joseph just isn't a starting CB..

blueblood70

Reaction score
We just have too many injuries to overcome right now....on defense we were down 5 starters, that's pretty rough
we have time to adjust before the playoffs, DQ has players he needs to figure out which one to plug in and FAST

blueblood70

Reaction score
This should be the absolute No.1 priority over the next 3 games. Treat the next three games kind of like preseason. I would go back and break down every game this season looking at what worked and what didn't and use the next three games to work on my best plays.
agreed i mean we cant sub many in and give up all these games but being smart is key.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Offense

Defense

Special Teams

Good stuff:

Time to move Parsons back to LB and blitz him from the 2nd level, teams have schemed him out of games. Need him making plays again and get Barr off the field.

I would have Pollard return kicks. Turpin is a dud.

McCarthy needs to filter the O's play calling. That throw on 3rd down late in the 4th Q was a terrible play and should not have been an option for Dak.

After the Eagles game, rest the walking wounded. The remaining two games will mean little.

They have to scheme up that secondary. Have Diggs trail someone (#2) all game double the #1.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good stuff:

Time to move Parsons back to LB and blitz him from the 2nd level, teams have schemed him out of games. Need him making plays again and get Barr off the field.

I would have Pollard return kicks. Turpin is a dud.

McCarthy needs to filter the O's play calling. That throw on 3rd down late in the 4th Q was a terrible play and should not have been an option for Dak.

After the Eagles game, rest the walking wounded. The remaining two games will mean little.

They have to scheme up that secondary. Have Diggs trail someone (#2) all game double the #1.
Some good points, agree going to have to protect the other corner somewhat. I would rest Parsons after this week for the regular season to keep him fresh.