Three ways the Cowboys coaching staff must improve in 2018

jday

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...e-cowboys-coaching-staff-must-improve-in-2018

My mother used to tell me “the biggest room in the world is the room for self improvement”. Well, we all know the Cowboys’ have a rather large version of the self improvement room after the team’s disappointing 2017 season.

The fallout from that unsatisfying performance was a thorough overhaul of the position coaches. Out were Wade Wilson, Derek Dooley, Steve Loney, Frank Pollack, Matt Eberflus, Joe Baker and Rich Bisaccia. In their places came Kellen Moore, Sanjay Lal, Kris Richard, Paul Alexander, Doug Nussmeier, Keith O’Quinn and Ben Bloom.

That’s a huge change in the coaching ranks and yet the head coach and both coordinators remain the same. Can the new blood can breath some new thinking into the group as a whole? Specifically, improvement is needed in three areas the coaching staff did not handled well.

waldoputty

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...e-cowboys-coaching-staff-must-improve-in-2018

My mother used to tell me “the biggest room in the world is the room for self improvement”. Well, we all know the Cowboys’ have a rather large version of the self improvement room after the team’s disappointing 2017 season.

The fallout from that unsatisfying performance was a thorough overhaul of the position coaches. Out were Wade Wilson, Derek Dooley, Steve Loney, Frank Pollack, Matt Eberflus, Joe Baker and Rich Bisaccia. In their places came Kellen Moore, Sanjay Lal, Kris Richard, Paul Alexander, Doug Nussmeier, Keith O’Quinn and Ben Bloom.

That’s a huge change in the coaching ranks and yet the head coach and both coordinators remain the same. Can the new blood can breath some new thinking into the group as a whole? Specifically, improvement is needed in three areas the coaching staff did not handled well.

do you one better - 3 simple changes:
1. fire garrett
2. fire marinelli
3. fire linehan

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Expect the same old, same old.
When teams prepare for the Cowboys, they look for a run-first team, a conservative game plan, a short-range offensive pass attack (sidelines) and one tha gets rattled when behind.
Garrett is so 1960s.

CowboyChris

Reaction score

just to be fair some of those coaches left on their free will.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Expect the same old, same old.
When teams prepare for the Cowboys, they look for a run-first team, a conservative game plan, a short-range offensive pass attack (sidelines) and one tha gets rattled when behind.
Garrett is so 1960s.

We saw some change last year. I expect a bit more but not a lot this year. Our game plan wins when the execution is good and they don't make a lot of mistakes. I seem to remember not making as many drive killing mistakes as the year before. If that is correct or improves to where it should be and we make more big plays as in sacks, TFL, and INTs then we will be in the hunt.......assuming Dak plays well. The latter is the first key. Coaches come farther down the line.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We saw some change last year. I expect a bit more but not a lot this year. Our game plan wins when the execution is good and they don't make a lot of mistakes. I seem to remember not making as many drive killing mistakes as the year before. If that is correct or improves to where it should be and we make more big plays as in sacks, TFL, and INTs then we will be in the hunt.......assuming Dak plays well. The latter is the first key. Coaches come farther down the line.
Naw.

csirl

Reaction score
The Doug Nussmeier appointment is interesting. A former QB who's only ever coached QBs/passing coordinator gets appointed as TE coach. A rookie coach is appointed QB coach?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Draft this guy Roquan Smith 1st round draft this guy Isaiah Oliver 2nd round draft this guy Carlos Watkins in the 3rd round There is the 3 ways this coaching staff can get better

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
4 things will make this offense dynamic all year
Number one commit to the run and don't abandon it
Number 2 stay away from Linehans old base offense. Everybody can read his offense, not only do they read it They show Certain line ups because they know how we'll react to them. ie change the play at the line. All teams change the play at the line, They just don't change to the same play lol.
Number 3 Don't force the ball and get some speed on the field on a regular basis i.e. Limit Jason and Dez snaps.
Number 4 stay aggressive on defense stay out of the cover 2 base because everybody knows how to exploit it
OK so I have 5
I agree completely that Jason Garrett Has to grow some things and go for it to inspire his team. and don't walk off the field at half time with time on the clock.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course there's another important thing. great coaching enables you to win games you shouldn't

Poor coaching costs U games you should win

Everybody can see what this coaching staff has done. It's all about adjustments and you have to be better than the other guys

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
4 things will make this offense dynamic all year
Number one commit to the run and don't abandon it
Number 2 stay away from Linehans old base offense. Everybody can read his offense, not only do they read it They show Certain line ups because they know how we'll react to them. ie change the play at the line. All teams change the play at the line, They just don't change to the same play lol.
Number 3 Don't force the ball and get some speed on the field on a regular basis i.e. Limit Jason and Dez snaps.
Number 4 stay aggressive on defense stay out of the cover 2 base because everybody knows how to exploit it
OK so I have 5
I agree completely that Jason Garrett Has to grow some things and go for it to inspire his team. and don't walk off the field at half time with time on the clock.
Amazingly, he does still struggle with basic clock management.

Things kids learn in Madden he still hasn’t learned.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I would of preferred to see a clean sweep of all the coaches but since we didnt here is what they need to do!
Garrett needs to get rid of the playbook, at least the pages that Linehan calls.
Garrett needs to become open minded about getting better himself!
Garrett needs to get pissed off once in a while an hold players and coaches accountable for their mistakes.
Garrett and his assistants needs to hit the film room and watch tape and game plan for opponents week in and week out.
Garrett needs to meet with the assistant coaches during the week and review thier game plans and alternate game plans to make sure they are what he wants.
Garrett needs to create and work on situational plays so that when they come up he has the team prepared.
Garrett needs to go back to school on clock management when behind or ahead.
Garrett and Linehan need to remember to run the ball inside the 10 yard line
Ok this is enough to get Garrett started! If he improves on just two of these things the team will be better.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
The team will get better if the coaching staff puts them in a position to get better. What that means is that there needs to be better talent evaluation. Coaches need to find the strengths of each player and utilize those strengths in both position, and game planning. That whole "next man up" philosophy doesn't work because the strengths and weaknesses of players are different.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

Well, on the one side of the coin, what was a positive was about 3/4's thru last season when key personnel change ups were implemented in the defensive secondary, that tells me the old dogs can learn new tricks in their Ridgid structured deployment of personal& ploy:thumbup: * although it's probably closer to formerly inflexible structured deployment of personal, as I'm certain that change up was directly attributable to the skybox commands wrath descending down with a rather unpleasant ultimatum taped to the executioner's head chopping axe handle stating : improve immediately or else:confused:

Flip the reverse side of that coin & it's whether the Head Coach is malleable enough in footballish acumen to bend,mold &forge this considerable casing-liner of cash outlay he's been riding herd over in a rather less than stellar trophy taking fashion, into the new and improved MKII MOD TR#9 fielded version that's necessary for taking there SHARE of trophies that are up for grabs, Man ,I've been mostly wishing him the best in that endeavor, but at some point the continual diminishing returns of fielding ineffectual casing-liner field Commanders are beyond apparento_O
( he's a fantastic troop den leader& a coachingly accepted figurehead,,,but I don't believe the pre war Preparatory scheming designs required to win in the 2018's+ are in the cards for him ,,,,reckon we can only hope thru a mysterious benefactor he's bestowed with a set of formerly owned& worn skivvies of CHESTY PULLER'S,,, *hey,it damn sure ain't gonna hurt o_O*

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
do you one better - 3 simple changes:
1. fire garrett
2. fire marinelli
3. fire linehan
Brilliant,,, a gallon of pickled eggs can sport a set of headphones with a play call laminated casing-liner leaned up in front of it so those optically equipped elusive enemy lip reading SPIES can't steal those plays and reverse engineer them over in their mother countries locker room ,huh,WALDO?:rolleyes: