Video: Three years ago Cowboys draft Jaylon Smith

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Just a trip down memory lane. And just a reminder of unique the draft is. If you loved or hated the pick at the time, it was a memorable scene

Please no more one legged LBs. Lee, Carter, and Smith benefited from the Cowboys having a no.1 pick for a player that could play the same season he was drafted.

calico

Reaction score
Awesome video. That young man went through a lot in 6 months. I’m glad things worked out for him and that he is rewarding the faith the staff had in him.

This and daks draft vids are great watches.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
As an outsider who does not know Jaylon personally, his posture and emotions in this picture reveal several aspects about him.

He was a real stud in college football. Then the worst thing possible happened . All the years he practiced and played suddenly were in jeopardy.

Then draft day comes, and instead of him being drafted in the top ten. And maybe the top five, he slipped out of the first round.

He surely thought he may slip to manby rounds later. And in the back of his mind - because we are talking nerve damage - he could go undrafted.

Now where would he get the money to do what it takes to get back into football shape and get that nerve to "fire." (I always loved that description that the locale doctors at the Cowboys Zone and Mother of Mercy Hospital would explain to everyone about his injury and rehab)

He could be passed up and have non resources to recover. Part of the deal by being taken is he gets top notch medical help by an organization that has the money and a vested interest in his success.

So he could very well have been sitting there thinking his life in football just ended.

Then Jerry calls. Then Jerry drafts him. Then Jerry puts up the money to get him back to right, or as close as possible. He still had no guarantees he would recover, but someone took a chance. Had faith. became his empresario of football.

Those are tears of relief. Tears of joy. And tears of a man who now mixes his gratitude with his character, who will work his butt off to get back on the field, and be one of the most faithful Cowboys.

Someone like us, who loves this team.

Now contracts may change things. And it is a business. But Jaylon Smith will be a Cowboy for life inside. And always be loyal to Jerry Jones.

I'n getting old because when I see that it sort of chokes me up. It's kind of like Rudy. The good guy won.

Nevermind. I just watched the video. year it teared up.

Section446

Reaction score
Only one full season, but Jerry is looking like a genius right now.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Who was that person filming? Didn’t they realize their audible weeping would taint the video?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jerry and Will had more nads than me that day.

Wasn't mad about it, but I was more on board for Myles Jack and Michael Thomas there...also Ragland and Spence. Not sure if I was on the Xavien Howard train or not. Ragland and Spence haven't fully measured up, but not horrible.

I liked Kendal Fuller later in that draft when we took Collins. Haven't followed him, but I don't think Fuller has been all that either.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Give a man like Jaylon a chance, he sure won't waste it.

Say what you like about Jerry, but he's been good at getting 1st-round talent in latter rounds. Guys like Romo, Witten, Jaylon, etc.