Tiger in the hunt at Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tiger only 1 shot back heading into weekend. An all star leaderboard should make for hopefully a memorable Masters finish with potential historic significance. Must see!!

rynochop

Reaction score
CBS has to be loving this, as long as the weather doesn't screw everything up tomorrow..already moved up T times

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Good to see. There are a lot of great players on the PGA but I'd imagine he brings a lot more eyes to the product. Especially when he is playing well.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
He has been playing great golf for the last year...for the first time, I think he has a chance to catch Jack now. Phil Mickelson won his last major at 43 and he's still playing good golf at 48. If Tiger can stay healthy, he has a chance at getting 3 more in the next 5 years

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One of the greatest sports comebacks of all time.

The media that once tore him down and did everything to break him mentally (and did) are now his biggest fans.

You got that right! It may be the greatest ever sports comeback from a great athlete that had hit rock bottom. Can't recall any "great" athlete fall as far as Tiger Woods and be able to rebound from it. Tigers fall from grace started in 2008 when he blew a 3 shot lead in the final round of the PGA championship. About 3 months later the scandal with his wife hit the headlines and Tigers world was rocked! His squeaky clean reputation went down the drain. Reports of him battling sex addiction were all over the headlines. There were interviews with women claiming to be mistresses of his. His wife dumped him. Sponsors dumped him. His golf coach dumped him and his longtime caddy turned against him. If all that wasn't bad enough his back which had been a problem began to fail him resulting in at least two back surgeries. Nothing can kill a golfers career like a bad back. Tigers world golf ranking fell all the way down to around 250th in the world just a couple of years ago.

To add insult to injury, in 2017 he was arrested for being under the influence of prescription drugs while driving. That video went viral. He was becoming the butt of jokes on late night TV. Tiger looked DONE! Last year his game started to magically come around. He finished high in at least 2 majors and won the Tour Championship which is like a major. Winning his 5th green jacket today completes a comeback from a great athlete like none we've seen in my opinion. To become a great athlete in any sport it takes mental toughness and resilience and Tiger Woods is as mentally tough and resilient as they come. There isn't a sport harder to dominate than golf because it's an individual sport where you have to outplay a large field of golfers week after week. Try standing over a 5 foot putt just to try and win $100 or hitting an approach shot at 18 from 190 yards out from an uneven lie with $200 on the line. That's peanuts compared to what's on the line for a professional golfer every week. Kuddos to Tiger Woods!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The media that once tore him down and did everything to break him mentally (and did) are now his biggest fans.
In all fairness though, the media loves to do that to famous people and Tiger's own actions made that much easier for them.

That said, I don't think anyone thought he would drop as far and as long as he did, and the PGA and the media are probably very relieved to see him back on top again.

When a player like him is not only one of the best at the moment but also a best of their generation (like Tom Brady, Michael Jordon, etc.), it makes the sport and being a fan so much better.

Of course there are fans who hate Tiger just like there are fans who hate Tom Brady, but their respective sports are much better with them and will feel a little empty once they are gone.

I am very glad to see him back on top and think the Masters was a fitting place for his return.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

Really? Tiger gets the play the victim? Just my opinion, but he created the issue himself, and injuries really made it worse. To be honest, the media was rooting for him to do this for the greater part of the last decade

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Really? Tiger gets the play the victim? Just my opinion, but he created the issue himself, and injuries really made it worse. To be honest, the media was rooting for him to do this for the greater part of the last decade

Yeah, he does - something that should have remained incredibly personal and between just he and his ex got pushed into the headlines.

And nothing you just said changes what I said - the media that once wanted him torn down and removed from golf are now his biggest fans in this comeback.

The man could have had 200 affairs and screwed over multiple wives - he can be a degenerate human being, doesn't change the kind of player he was.

rynochop

Reaction score
It must be all the gum chewing that put him over the top..seriously tho never seen him do that

Status
Not open for further replies.