Time to Blow the last of the Cap Money! Who would you hire?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Every FA they knew was realistic is back. The only casualty was Gregory and there is debate if that was indeed a true casualty. I won't get into the Coop debate but looks like the team feels it can do just as well without him which is debatable.

Positions that have no proven starter:
  • Kicker - Greg the Leg is gone.
  • Left Guard - Do you trust McGovern? I don't think he's a lost cause but he doesn't make anyone comfortable.
Depth issues, which means there is no one truly proven at backup:
  • Quarterback - one game doesn't make Cooper
  • Tight End - they got a chance to play, but there's a reason we franchised Schultz, don't trust that depth
  • #4 WR - I know some of you are high on Simi, but with both Coop and Cedrick gone it's thin again. Good pickup with Washington to insure we're not the same at #3.
  • Swing Tackle - we lost 2 linemen, depth is limited, Tyron remains injury prone and Martin is older
  • Backup Interior Lineman - we lost 2 linemen, depth is limited, Tyron remains injury prone and Martin is older
  • Defensive Tackle - Some good young talent in there with Gallimore and Osa and some are high on Bohana, but not much proven depth, and some might say no proven starters either
  • LB - Not as important a position as S to Quinn, and LVE is back and Cox is healthy. But I'm assuming that Parsons is going to be a DE again depending on passing down and injury situation. Parsons is the MVP, he has to be able to line up anywhere, and not where there is no depth.
Injury prone, declining positions:
  • LT (Tyron), history of injuries
  • Edge (Tank), history of injuries
  • RB (Zeke), if he's out of fumes next year, I don't think Pollard can shoulder the whole load
Best free agents remaining:

• QB - Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick
  • RB - Melvin Gordon, Sony Michel, Ronald Jones
  • TE - Gronk, Mycole Pruitt
  • WR - OBJ, Jarvis Landry, Will Fuller, Julio Jones, Marquez Scantling, Antonio Brown
  • OT - Terron Armstead, Duane Brown, Eric Fisher, Riley Reiff, Daryl Williams
  • G/C - JC Tretter, Quinton Spain, Trai Turner, Ereck Flowers
  • EDGE - Jadeveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes, Justin Houston, Derek Barnett, Arden Key,
  • DT - Calais Campbell, Akiem Hicks, Sheldon Richardson, Ndamukong Suh, Larry Ogunjobi
  • LB - Bobby Wagner, Anthony Barr, Kyzir White, Donta Hightower
  • K - who knows?

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
My call if I were one of the Jones Boys.....

The lines are what matter the most. There are still some good OTs left in FA. I would have someone ready just in case we lose Tyron again. I don't know if there is an interior lineman worth paying which stinks because of the depth. There are still some good veteran big boys to give us more DT depth. Teams do this every year. Why don't we take a chance on a Suh, Richardson, or Campbell? I doubt it will cost much or be a cap killer.

RB and WR I'm probably waiting for the Draft. OBJ, Antonio Brown, those are guys you acquire mid-season if someone is hurt or you're going all in. EDGE I'm leaning towards the draft too but if one of those veterans falls in my lap for cheap, I'll take it. You can never have enough pass rushers.

And for the only contract that might cost us something, yeah, go ahead and bring in Wagner. He's a leader, he knows Quinn's style. He frees up Parsons to rush the passer more.

I don't see us getting any of those TEs so it's a must to draft at least 1 in a higher round. Schultz is on a one year franchise tag, and no proven depth.

Later draft rounds I'm doing the Romo hunt again (or I'm going to shake Dak up a bit and get someone 2nd, 3rd), maybe a kicker, and continue to fill holes in the positions listed above. Be really nice if we could find a good guard in the later rounds which is realistic.

1st/2nd round - most hopeful BPA will be an offensive lineman, I'll take a LB if Wagner doesn't sign, a new potential All Pro TE would be great, and ALWAYS down for a great DT or DE

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I wonder are these idiots interested in a trade......

Looks like most teams have traded the guys who were on the radar.

I'm not sure in today's NFL there is such a thing as a guaranteed first year, so even hard to find a team ready to blow it up already.

But if there is any team that might budge a good player for more draft picks, I'd go for the ones who lost franchise QBs and didn't replace them - Falcons, Texans, etc..

bewp7

Reaction score
no one good that will take big $$ and year

get a good back up qb on a 1 year deal there is a desent amount out there