CFZ Time to man up and start Tyler Smith

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Tyler Smith was drafted with our first pick because he has the size, speed, strength, and metrics to be a starting tackle in this league sooner than later. Linemen don't get drafted in the first round to be bench warmers. The best way to get experience is to get out there and play. Worried that he can't do the job? Well, let's look at our toughest division rival and see how they handled their rookie linemen.

Lane Johnson: Came into camp as the #2 RT, won the job and started every game his rookie year. I think we know how good he is. He claims that being thrown into the fire his rookie year helped him become one of the best tackles in the game (can't believe he didn't make the top 100 list).

Landon Dickerson: Played RG, transferred to Alabama, played center. Had two major injuries in college. Drafted in the second round. Moved to LG, a position he never played. Took over LG the third game of the season after Seumalo was injured. Started every game after. Seumalo was moved to RG this year because Dickerson was so good by the end of the year.

Jordan Mailata: A freaking rugby player who didn't even touch a football until 2018. NFL scouts evaluated Mailata as a 5.5 prospect grade, which equates to a practice-squad player with a chance to make the bottom-end of the official NFL roster. Lurie told Jeff Stoutland (O-line coach) to check him out at the NFL's international facility in Tampa. Kept him around,and were still unsure enough to draft Andre Dillard. Dillard didn't perform as expected (would start for us though), and Mailata was thrust into the backup role. In 2020, Mailata would end up starting a game for Jason Peters, on his 842nd injury. Mailata himself would be injured and miss time, but played in 10 or 11 games as the starter. In 2021, he was named the starter. The rest is history. They put him out there and he rose to the occasion. He now projects as a Pro Bowl player.

Jason Kelce: 6th round pick that only played center for one year in college and weighed less that 300 pounds. They threw him into the fire. He ended up startng all 16 games as a rookie (like Lane Johnson) and hasn't given up since. He's probably going to be in the HoF.

Isaac Seumalo: A center who was a 3rd round pick (2016) and moved to guard. Played an active role as a backup all year, would end up a starter at guard for 14 games, including in the Super Bowl. Has battled injuries off and on, but is now their RG.

Notice something? The Eagles were not afraid to put rookies on the field and play. Why can't we do that? I know Jeff Stoutland is probably the best O-line coach in the game, but do our coaches suck so badly that we can't get players ready to step in? ***? They are starting a former rugby player at LT who didn't really play meaningful games until two years ago. We can't start a guy who played football all his life??? Put him out there and let's see what he has.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Tyler Smith was drafted with our first pick because he has the size, speed, strength, and metrics to be a starting tackle in this league sooner than later. Linemen don't get drafted in the first round to be bench warmers. The best way to get experience is to get out there and play. Worried that he can't do the job? Well, let's look at our toughest division rival and see how they handled their rookie linemen.

Lane Johnson: Came into camp as the #2 RT, won the job and started every game his rookie year. I think we know how good he is. He claims that being thrown into the fire his rookie year helped him become one of the best tackles in the game (can't believe he didn't make the top 100 list).

Landon Dickerson: Played RG, transferred to Alabama, played center. Had two major injuries in college. Drafted in the second round. Moved to LG, a position he never played. Took over LG the third game of the season after Seumalo was injured. Started every game after. Seumalo was moved to RG this year because Dickerson was so good by the end of the year.

Jordan Mailata: A freaking rugby player who didn't even touch a football until 2018. NFL scouts evaluated Mailata as a 5.5 prospect grade, which equates to a practice-squad player with a chance to make the bottom-end of the official NFL roster. Lurie told Jeff Stoutland (O-line coach) to check him out at the NFL's international facility in Tampa. Kept him around,and were still unsure enough to draft Andre Dillard. Dillard didn't perform as expected (would start for us though), and Mailata was thrust into the backup role. In 2020, Mailata would end up starting a game for Jason Peters, on his 842nd injury. Mailata himself would be injured and miss time, but played in 10 or 11 games as the starter. In 2021, he was named the starter. The rest is history. They put him out there and he rose to the occasion. He now projects as a Pro Bowl player.

Jason Kelce: 6th round pick that only played center for one year in college and weighed less that 300 pounds. They threw him into the fire. He ended up startng all 16 games as a rookie (like Lane Johnson) and hasn't given up since. He's probably going to be in the HoF.

Isaac Seumalo: A center who was a 3rd round pick (2016) and moved to guard. Played an active role as a backup all year, would end up a starter at guard for 14 games, including in the Super Bowl. Has battled injuries off and on, but is now their RG.

Notice something? The Eagles were not afraid to put rookies on the field and play. Why can't we do that? I know Jeff Stoutland is probably the best O-line coach in the game, but do our coaches suck so badly that we can't get players ready to step in? ***? They are starting a former rugby player at LT who didn't really play meaningful games until two years ago. We can't start a guy who played football all his life??? Put him out there and let's see what he has.
You put a lot of thought into this.
Right, or wrong...
Respect.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The Cowboys start rookie offensive linemen all the time so I don't agree that the problem is that they are afraid to throw players into the fire. The problem is that the kid has shown elite potential at left guard thus far and quite frankly is better suited to that position at this point in his career. Throwing him outside where his deficiencies (propensity to hold and a significant lack of technique) are amplified is cause for concern. He is a project still in progress. A project with top flight physical traits but a project none the less. Consider the fact that the kid has taken nearly 0 reps at LT and it is totally reasonable to wonder if it is the right move.

Honestly I think the kid will work out fine at LT, but I think he could be a top NFL guard in a few seasons if he stayed put. This is not an ideal situation, but the Cowboys are out of cards and their hand will be forced. Only time will tell at this point.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
The Cowboys start rookie offensive linemen all the time so I don't agree that the problem is that they are afraid to throw players into the fire. The problem is that the kid has shown elite potential at left guard thus far and quite frankly is better suited to that position at this point in his career. Throwing him outside where his deficiencies (propensity to hold and a significant lack of technique) are amplified is cause for concern. He is a project still in progress. A project with top flight physical traits but a project none the less. Consider the fact that the kid has taken nearly 0 reps at LT and it is totally reasonable to wonder if it is the right move.

Honestly I think the kid will work out fine at LT, but I think he could be a top NFL guard in a few seasons if he stayed put. This is not an ideal situation, but the Cowboys are out of cards and their hand will be forced. Only time will tell at this point.
Maybe you are right, but sooner or later, he will be the LT. Might as well start him now, let him get the experience. He is probably the best athlete we have up front. He has all the metrics, so let's use them.

75boyz

Reaction score

Agree with all your potential at guard talk and I mentioned in another thread the assumption of college to pro LT success is being far too taken for granted imo. They just let a 4 year college LT in Williams walk who was nothing but a guard in Dallas. Same with Zack, All Pro RG in Dallas but a 4 yr LT at Notre Dame. Zack doesn't even want to play tackle.
This isn't some seamless transition as so many are making it out to be. Many college LTs become guards.

This kid could possibly be a better guard than tackle and that's why I say grab a vet FA for this year at least and let the kid go back at where he's practiced at guard.

Have an open competition with Tyler and the vet next yr in TC if the vet's performance is deemed merely a short and not long term solution.

Just my opinion.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Just hope Dak does not get injured.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Tyler has a TON of talent, but he is raw, I would much rather let him work those growing pains out a position (LG), where his flaws can be minimized and his strengths can be maximized for a couple of years. I think he would excel at LG from week 1. Plus, keep in mind they have been practicing him at LG for all of training camp. He has two weeks to prepare for the Bucs. Not good for a raw rookie.

You talked about Eagles history, but what about our history? Tyron Smith started at RT before taking on the responsibility of being LT. Before him, Adams started a year at RG before switching the LT. It worked out very well for those guys.

Plus, moving Tyler to LT makes McGovern the starter at LG, and he has never proven to be a capable LG, last year the coaches really wanted him to take Williams' place, but he couldn't.
So now, we have a very talented, but very, very raw rookie at LT and a subpar LG, next to an average C. Plus, we may also have to help out Steele, who has not exactly proven himself to be solid RT. I honestly don't think Dak makes it through the year.

IMO, if we can sign or trade for a proven vet to play LT, allowing Tyler to play LG, the OL will be much better this year, and from our history with Smith and Adams, its obviously does not stunt his ability to be our long-term LT.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

Seriously what you are talking about? Dallas has a history of draft picks starting year 1. Have you noticed? Especially 1st rd drafted OL. Even McCarthy has started rookies here. Just because he has not said Tyler Smith is the starter does not mean he will not named the starter.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

You are late. They're going to start Tyler at tackle week one.

JBS

Reaction score
You know way too much about these Philly OL

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If he's going to play at tackle, so be it. Let's see what he can do. I just worry about too much inexperience on the blindside of the QB. McGovern has looked ok at times, but we're going to need more than ok to compensate for the struggles we will surely see with Smith. If the plan is to play Smith at LT, then sign a guard. Not a clue who's out there but the line is paper thin already. Bringing in another guy with position flex seems necessary. Jmho.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
You know way too much about these Philly OL
I live here, Juan Castillo was my neighbor for seven years during the Andy Reid days, John Runyon was my Congressman for two terms, and my wife almost sold Jordan Mailata a nice condo in the city. I coached for almost 30 years after playing in college and met a lot of scouts. I knew a lot of Eagles during my years. My daughter is getting married this weekend at a golf club owned by Ron Jaworski too.

I get a lot of good-natured (mostly) **** from Eagle fans.

Last edited: