Time to sit Witten

fansince68

Reaction score
Witten has helped slow down this offense for almost a decade now.

Other teams were utilizing dynamic tight ends and we were stuck with this guy who is as slow as molasses, yet he remains one of the highest paid tight ends in the league...
If i could give you a thousand likes I would. I just dont understand why our coaches dont see this. The same coaches that actually thought that Chaz Green was a serviceable offensive lineman. Dumb Dumb coaches.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
More easily read in iambic pentameter. But please, no haiku.:)

Silly, bloke. IP is old.
Go to a poetry slam in any city and lose the constraints of old language.

Cowboys have superstars all around
Jerry never rises to 'what could be
Sentimental, same loser competitive approach

One love, bloke!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Wow Lee, Rico and Jaylon. That is such a lengthy list. Almost took me 2 whole seconds to read it all.

Refresh your memory of who missed the Super Bowl off the Eagles Roster. It's much longer.
Sorry you take such offense, lowland ruffian.
Yes, longer. Yet we did not buy our Dallas Super Winners newspaper and the Egirls did. Go figure, speed reader. Lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If i could give you a thousand likes I would. I just dont understand why our coaches dont see this. The same coaches that actually thought that Chaz Green was a serviceable offensive lineman. Dumb Dumb coaches.
Chaz Green started 2 games at LT in 2016 and was really good. There was no reason to think he couldn't do it again in 2017.

Carter

Reaction score
Witten is fine aslong as no one can outperform him. The only Problem is his Contract doesnt match his Performance anymore, but that happens with a lot of Legends when they get older.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I see, even though Witten was the Cowboys leading receiver in 2012 with 110 receptions they should have released him in 2012. We're talking about the TE with the 2nd most receptions by a TE in NFL HISTORY and 4th most by ANY receiver EVER.

Thank God the Cowboys don't think like you.

In 2008, Terrell Owens lead the team in receiving yards...

You seem pretty dense.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chaz Green started 2 games at LT in 2016 and was really good. There was no reason to think he couldn't do it again in 2017.

There is a lot more to the Chaz Green story than 2 games in 2016. The guy has never been able to stay healthy. He ended 2016 on IR. He missed most of his college career with injury. He missed his rookie season with injury. So, the question isn't so much why we shouldn't expect him to repeat his 2 game performance of 2016. The questions should be why we ever depended on him to stay healthy and whose watching him in practice and thought he was good enough to put on the field in Atlanta? He made Adrian Claiborne look like the second coming of Reggie White instead of the mediocre DE he's always been.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 2008, Terrell Owens lead the team in receiving yards...

You seem pretty dense.

Your opinions on Witten are nonsensical to the point of comedy. He's going to be a first ballot HOFer. If you can't see why, then you should probably move on and try your hand at another sport.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know it is a copycat league but a big athletic TE like Gronk (who has missed a lot of games) is not the only formula. Witten is so good at finding or creating space, drawing coverage, and either making a catch for a moderate gain or opening things up for other receivers to make big dynamic plays. Not every play is going to go for big yards.

I hear the argument that a more athletic TE would rack up yards after the catch and stretch the defense and create mismatches all over the place. That is one model. What Witten does, even at an older age and a step or two slower, is another. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see a more athletic TE but Witten seems to keep beating them out. If you think he is getting the legend treatment then look at Romo. They cut him and ate his $20 million cap hit because Dak basically beat him out and I am not sure there is a player Jerry loves more.

Of the 7 passes Witten caught on third down in 2017 that did not go for a first down only twice was he stopped a yard short (both led to a punt). He helps control the ball and control the clock which Dallas would rather do than score fast TD's from all over the field.

Maybe Witten is overpaid at this point in his career but his $6.5 million cap hit is not crippling the Cowboys. Romo's cap hit is bigger.

Disclaimer: I like Witten and Romo. I am lukewarm on Dak but I am not calling for him to be replaced. I like the dynamic he adds with his running ability but he can't do that for long so I'd like to see him develop more as a passer. I ultimately think Dallas can win with him.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

Well they also don’t see that Williams can’t catch with his hands to save his life. He catches every ball with his chest. It’s almost impossible for Dak to succeed with these receivers.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I know it is a copycat league but a big athletic TE like Gronk (who has missed a lot of games) is not the only formula. Witten is so good at finding or creating space, drawing coverage, and either making a catch for a moderate gain or opening things up for other receivers to make big dynamic plays. Not every play is going to go for big yards.

I hear the argument that a more athletic TE would rack up yards after the catch and stretch the defense and create mismatches all over the place. That is one model. What Witten does, even at an older age and a step or two slower, is another. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see a more athletic TE but Witten seems to keep beating them out. If you think he is getting the legend treatment then look at Romo. They cut him and ate his $20 million cap hit because Dak basically beat him out and I am not sure there is a player Jerry loves more.

Of the 7 passes Witten caught on third down in 2017 that did not go for a first down only twice was he stopped a yard short (both led to a punt). He helps control the ball and control the clock which Dallas would rather do than score fast TD's from all over the field.

Maybe Witten is overpaid at this point in his career but his $6.5 million cap hit is not crippling the Cowboys. Romo's cap hit is bigger.

Disclaimer: I like Witten and Romo. I am lukewarm on Dak but I am not calling for him to be replaced. I like the dynamic he adds with his running ability but he can't do that for long so I'd like to see him develop more as a passer. I ultimately think Dallas can win with him.

You are mentioning you like Romo but he is retired. Witten should be retired too. You are living in the past my friend.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I don't agree with your conclusion on Witten, but I like a well-reasoned argument.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You are mentioning you like Romo but he is retired. Witten should be retired too. You are living in the past my friend.

I mention I like Romo for full disclosure. He is named in my repsonse. As far as living in the past, Romo is still on the books and Witten is still on the team. I'd like a brand new Chevy Silverado but I am not going to get rid of my old Tacoma and walk until I get one.

Blake

Reaction score
If I was Witten... reading what "fans" say... I would go to another team... ridiculous.

Other teams fans would be observing and speaking on the same issues with Wit. That's a guven.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Really?

How did you come to that conclusion?
By scrolling through this thread and reading your post. It's not at all personal, I just think from what your posts it invites the idea that we wouldn't have a TE on our roster. Too you Witten is over the hill and you also stated that we need to cut Gathers loose. I understand what you're saying but I don't think the situation at TE is nearly as dire. Not with more important needs.