News: TLH: Is trading Dak Prescott a solution for the Dallas Cowboys?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
non-exclusive tag and trade for 2 first round picks .

going 8-8 and out of the playoffs we can do with any QB.

Nobody is trading 2 first round picks.

I’d be shocked if we could get 1 first round pick.

Dak is already terrible value by just paying him alone.. Imagine paying him and giving up a 1st rounder too?

There are potential Free Agents that are as good or better that won’t require the compensation that Dak is asking for.

This is why I would love love love it if Dallas let Dak test Free Agency... Lets see what his true market value is..

There is no way he would leave Dallas anyways.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Nobody is trading 2 first round picks.

Dak is already terrible value by just paying him alone.. Imagine paying him and giving up a 1st rounder too?

There are potential Free Agents that are as good or better that won’t require the compensation that Dak is asking for.

This is why I would love love love it if Dallas let Dak test Free Agency... Lets see what his true market value is..

I agree, i think Dak isn't near 40M ; but many here say he is ...if thats the case he surely is worth at least 2 first round picks .
People saying here that Dak is better than rodgers and brady, these QBs are worth 2 first round picks , for sure.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Not a good time for Dak to be acting like a gold digger with a new regime in town. Jack around and find himself wearing silver and black instead of silver and blue.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not?

Why not tag him with the non-exclusive and allow him and his agent to solicit for the best offer they can get?

They bring that back and you decide whether to match it or make the trade with the other team?
That's not actually a "trade". The Cowboys don't initiate trade talks or negotiate trade terms. It's another team making an offer to a free agent but with some restrictions.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
I don't either, but I think agent and client could use a dose of reality during these 'negotiations'. I'd give them by blessing to see what they could get out there.

I'm confident that they'd shut up and make a deal with the Cowboys pretty quickly.

But this organization seldom, if ever has the guts to do that.

Meanwhile, the Patriots are doing that exact thing with the greatest quarterback of all time. With no tag at all.

Guts vs no guts.
Robert kraft>jerry and Stephen

garyo1954

Reaction score
Non-exclusive is the way to go. Let him get the best he can.The 2020 non-exclusive quarterback number should be in the neighborhood of $27 million if the salary cap is around $200 million.

Now let's see who's willing to play stupid. Let him negotiate. Let him sign. He loses marketability and advertising revenue too. So he can't win.

"A "non-exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five cap hits at the player's position for the previous five years applied to the current salary cap, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation."

He plays for somebody else for less and we get 2 firsts. Or he signs for $33 million.

I'll play that game all day long.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not actually a "trade". The Cowboys don't initiate trade talks or negotiate trade terms. It's another team making an offer to a free agent but with some restrictions.

How so? I'm not following you.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How so? I'm not following you.
To say the Cowboys should "trade" a player indicates that they should actively seek out a trade partner and make a trade happen under negotiated terms. That's not the same thing as allowing Dak to seek out a free agent contract with another team, even if there are strings attached. Under the non-exclusive tag the Cowboys would have no ability to initiate or participate in a negotiation, and theoretically the whole process could end without Dak even leaving the team at all.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's not a solution because Dak is not the problem that needs fixing. In 2019, coaching and the defense are what was most lacking. We now have the coaching regime change we have been wanting. If Nolan's defensive staff can get the D back on track, Dak and the offense will be amazing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To say the Cowboys should "trade" a player indicates that they should actively seek out a trade partner and make a trade happen under negotiated terms. That's not the same thing as allowing Dak to seek out a free agent contract with another team, even if there are strings attached.

I don't agree. It's clear if and when they allowed he and his agent to shop for a new deal that it would be part of a trade that the other team would be making with the Cowboys. It's understood in the terms.

Under the non-exclusive tag the Cowboys would have no ability to initiate or participate in a negotiation, and theoretically the whole process could end without Dak even leaving the team at all.

If he didn't, that means he couldn't find anyone willing to pay his asking price. Some humble pie. And then he either plays in Dallas under the tag, works out an acceptable contract, or he sits.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Why do people who want to dispose of Dak think they can get two 1st round picks for Dak? Isn't that hilariously contradictory?

Especially when the fantasy is that the Patriots let Tom Brady walk to the Cowboys and then the Pats give two 1st round picks up for Dak. Are you kidding me lol?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Would Cincy take Indy 1st, our 1st and next years 1st?
Are you insane? That is giving up way , way too much especially with the other holes this team has. And will probably have to fill once players age. You don't sell the farm because a few chickens aren't producing so many eggs.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
My understanding is that even though the language says 2 1st's, the teams can negotiate the compensation they want.In other words it doesn't HAVE to be two 1sts. I can't see anyone giving two firsts but if compensation is flexible there are some teams that i think would consider a first plus something.

Creeper

Reaction score
Could you imagine if the Cowboys signed Brady, then the Pats offered Dak a huge deal and the Cowboys getting back 2 first round picks and a 2nd rounder also? The picks would be later in each round, but still. At least draft day would be fun.

But don;t you think if the Patriots and Bill Belichick thought enough of Dak to give 2 draft picks for him and pay him what he wants that would be some sort of evidence that maybe he is the "The Guy" for Dallas? Would the Patriots have traded Brady away in his 4th season to two 1st round picks?