News: TLH: Is trading Dak Prescott a solution for the Dallas Cowboys?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't agree. It's clear if and when they allowed he and his agent to shop for a new deal that it would be part of a trade that the other team would be making with the Cowboys. It's understood in the terms.

If he didn't, that means he couldn't find anyone willing to pay his asking price. Some humble pie. And then he either plays in Dallas under the tag, works out an acceptable contract, or he sits.

What's understood is that Dak and his agent could seek a free agent contract, and if they get an offer the Cowboys could either match it and keep Dak or elect not to match it and accept the league mandated compensation. That is letting a league process run it's course, not seeking out, negotiating or consummating a trade. In a "trade" one team can't renege on the deal if they like the contract the second team is planning to enter into with the player.

What you are talking about is the end result, which is similar to, but not the same as a trade IF the first team doesn't match an offer by the second team, but it's not the same process as a trade. Trading is an action word, not a wait and see how a league mandated process plays out that you have no control over. If the team elects to match the offer, then nothing happened that is even remotely similar to a trade.

I guess this is largely scemantics, but to me there is a difference between "trading" a player, and allowing a league dictated process to run its course.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's understood is that Dak and his agent could seek a free agent contract, and if they get an offer the Cowboys could either match it and keep Dak or elect not to match it and accept the league mandated compensation. That is letting a league process run it's course, not seeking out, negotiating or consummating a trade. In a "trade" one team can't renege on the deal if they like the contract the second team is planning to enter into with the player.

What you are talking about is the end result, which is similar to, but not the same as a trade IF the first team doesn't match an offer by the second team, but it's not the same process as a trade. Trading is an action word, not a wait and see how a league mandated process plays out that you have no control over. If the team elects to match the offer, then nothing happened that is even remotely similar to a trade.

I guess this is largely scemantics, but to me there is a difference between "trading" a player, and allowing a league dictated process to run its course.

Yep, I think you summed it up well, it's all semantics and not worth arguing about. I think we can see where one another is coming from.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are you insane? That is giving up way , way too much especially with the other holes this team has. And will probably have to fill once players age. You don't sell the farm because a few chickens aren't producing so many eggs.
That's probably the cost. With the money saved from Dak, you could sign 3 quality FA. Probably not a bad trade off

You get QB of future locked up for next 5 years.
Sign Cooper and Jones
Then use Dak savings to build dline

Flamma

Reaction score
Why not?

Why not tag him with the non-exclusive and allow him and his agent to solicit for the best offer they can get?

They bring that back and you decide whether to match it or make the trade with the other team?

ok but what team is giving up assets for dak and then paying him huge money that actually makes sense and is not just wishful thinking?

It's not wishful thinking, it's a pipe dream. No one is giving up 2 first rounders and paying Dak 35M a year. That would be like selling lemonade for 30 bucks a cup. No one is buying. The non exclusive franchise tag is bait for suckers, nothing more. The cost is there to protect your asset. That cost is two first round picks. That's the cost specifically so no one takes your player. A player like Mahomes would get an exclusive tag, for example. Otherwise he'd be gone. But very few players are in his category. In other words, if Mahomes is the tire, Dak is the pebble stuck between the treads. No one is giving up the house for the pebble.

The Transition tage would be the way to go with Dak. Take offers from teams that won't have to give anything up if Dallas doesn't match.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not wishful thinking, it's a pipe dream. No one is giving up 2 first rounders and paying Dak 35M a year. That would be like selling lemonade for 30 bucks a cup. No one is buying. The non exclusive franchise tag is bait for suckers, nothing more. The cost is there to protect your asset. That cost is two first round picks. That's the cost specifically so no one takes your player. A player like Mahomes would get an exclusive tag, for example. Otherwise he'd be gone. But very few players are in his category. In other words, if Mahomes is the tire, Dak is the pebble stuck between the treads. No one is giving up the house for the pebble.

The Transition tage would be the way to go with Dak. Take offers from teams that won't have to give anything up if Dallas doesn't match.

There's wiggle room with that non-exclusive tag. Just because it technically says "two 1st round picks" doesn't mean that's what a team would have to give up. They can negotiate with him and make an offer for less than that. Then it's up to the Cowboys to either accept that offer or decline it.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
That's probably the cost. With the money saved from Dak, you could sign 3 quality FA. Probably not a bad trade off

You get QB of future locked up for next 5 years.
Sign Cooper and Jones
Then use Dak savings to build dline

Still, I don't know man. Last time 2 first rounders were given up. Didn't work out well at all.

Flamma

Reaction score
There's wiggle room with that non-exclusive tag. Just because it technically says "two 1st round picks" doesn't mean that's what a team would have to give up. They can negotiate with him and make an offer for less than that. Then it's up to the Cowboys to either accept that offer or decline it.

Lets face it dude, when has Jerry stood his ground? If I had to put money on it, Dak is getting paid.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But don;t you think if the Patriots and Bill Belichick thought enough of Dak to give 2 draft picks for him and pay him what he wants that would be some sort of evidence that maybe he is the "The Guy" for Dallas? Would the Patriots have traded Brady away in his 4th season to two 1st round picks?
Yes and no.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lets face it dude, when has Jerry stood his ground? If I had to put money on it, Dak is getting paid.

Not when it comes to name guys, that's for sure. They caved with Lawrence, they caved with Elliott, they'll cave with Dak. And by trading a #1 pick, they forced themselves to cave in for Cooper as well.

Cap money will be gone as soon as they have it.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Only if they were to use the picks to go up and get Herbert, Tua or Burrows.

jnday

Reaction score
I agree, i think Dak isn't near 40M ; but many here say he is ...if thats the case he surely is worth at least 2 first round picks .
People saying here that Dak is better than rodgers and brady, these QBs are worth 2 first round picks , for sure.
From reports from front office people around the league, Dallas thinks much more of Dak than the rest of the league. I think the Colts are an exception to that. The only place where Dak is in the same category as Rodgers and Brady is in the mind of delusional Dak fans that places their love for Dak above their fandom for the team.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
From reports from front office people around the league, Dallas thinks much more of Dak than the rest of the league. I think the Colts are an exception to that. The only place where Dak is in the same category as Rodgers and Brady is in the mind of delusional Dak fans that places their love for Dak above their fandom for the team.

Exactly , if the market doesn't value dak at 40M or maybe not 35M, or dare i say 30M ; then why the heck does stephen and will mcclay offer more than 30M ??

Maybe its Dak's agent who is negotiating too harshly; the best thing for us is that Dak try the open market . Lets see how much he is worth, becuase we know
how much his agent thinks he is worth .

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The haters say Dak sux but then want two or more in a trade. The haters say just go get a better QB, when Dak is #2 to #7 in stats last season.

The haters do not make sense, but this is the internet. This prevalent "let's just pick SOMEBODY" attitude could keep you down for years.

Brax

Reaction score
The haters say Dak sux but then want two or more in a trade. The haters say just go get a better QB, when Dak is #2 to #7 in stats last season.

The haters do not make sense, but this is the internet. This prevalent "let's just pick SOMEBODY" attitude could keep you down for years.
And the last 25 years are what? Dak is Jerry’s latest mistake waiting to happen. I know this much if Jerry says a QB is great bet the house it isn’t so, Jerry has next to zero talent evaluation skills especially as it relates to QB’s.

HotDog37

Reaction score
I know I don't want to hear "all-in" about Dak. "All-in" means something isn't right because you're forcing the issue. Rogers was in waiting behind Favre. Brady was in waiting behind Bledsoe. If you really want to win and you really want an excellent quarterback you just start bringing guys in at the same time developing what you DO have behind the starter (properly). You also draft quarterbacks and you do this until you find a very good one. In my opinion Dak is good and can be very good but he can also be VERY bad at the VERY worst times when you NEED to be good. A complete mindset change in quarterback/ drafting / development needs to happen. You DO NOT just pass out the anointing oil and overpay (and thus get locked in and in salary cap hell) for a passable (no pun) quarterback.