To all Florida and Georgia posters in hurricane path, be safe yall

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hurricanes are weird. I live in the FL Panhandle, but I'm just far enough west where I'm pretty safe. People hundreds of miles away on the other side of the state are getting hammered. Usually you would be safe where they are located.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have three cousins and one uncle that live in Tallahassee. They are riding it out at home. Not sure that's smart but they've been through hurricanes before.
This is first hurricane to directly (?) Hit Tallahassee in decades so they may be in a more difficult situation.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have been through many hurricanes and always rode them out. If this one hit anywhere near Galveston and I still lived in SE Houston, I would have been leaving for this one. It is the biggest in the gulf’s history, not strongest, but biggest with a record-breaking surge. The winds aren’t the worry but flooding is.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I have been through many hurricanes and always rode them out. If this one hit anywhere near Galveston and I still lived in SE Houston, I would have been leaving for this one. It is the biggest in the gulf’s history, not strongest, but biggest with a record-breaking surge. The winds aren’t the worry but flooding is.
I have lived in Coastal Cities ( St.Petersburg/Tampa) and North Florida ( Gainsville/Lake City ). Huge difference damage-wise. The problem in South Florida, like Houston, is flooding. Wind damage has nowhere near the impact in South Florida as it does in North Florida. The impact of last year's hurricane in North Florida was like something I had never seen. To see so many 30, 40, 50ft trees blocking roads, destroying power lines, houses and commercial buildings. It was estimated lots of trees were 80-100 years old. Some schools were closed almost 2 weeks AFTER the storm because school buses couldn't pick up kids coz trees were blocking many roads in rural areas, some dirt roads. State and local governments weren't prepared for such massive damage, so they hired contracts from all over the region.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have lived in Coastal Cities ( St.Petersburg/Tampa) and North Florida ( Gainsville/Lake City ). Huge difference damage-wise. The problem in South Florida, like Houston, is flooding. Wind damage has nowhere near the impact in South Florida as it does in North Florida. The impact of last year's hurricane in North Florida was like something I had never seen. To see so many 30, 40, 50ft trees blocking roads, destroying power lines, houses and commercial buildings. It was estimated lots of trees were 80-100 years old. Some schools were closed almost 2 weeks AFTER the storm because school buses couldn't pick up kids coz trees were blocking many roads in rural areas, some dirt roads. State and local governments weren't prepared for such massive damage, so they hired contracts from all over the region.
Yea, it makes a difference depending where ya live geographically. Wind is a problem further inland but surge is the biggest concern along the coasts.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Praying for those states! My parents are actually on the way to florida, Hopefully they avoid any craziness that may happen.

Flamma

Reaction score
This is first hurricane to directly (?) Hit Tallahassee in decades so they may be in a more difficult situation.
From what I hear, since the 1800s. But if you're far west in the panhandle, you should be ok. It's amazing how things work out by random.

I live in NJ, so we never even get tropical storms. But when Sandy hit us as a tropical storm, borderline tropical depression, it was the worst thing I've ever seen. I can't imagine a category anything storm.