Today I lost what little respect I had left for Jerry Jones

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
5Countem5;2476257 said:
Why? What did he do wrong?

I'm not saying for this just in general. Except for maybe Al Davis and Synder how many other owners give so many interviews? Yes I know he's the GM also but he just needs to back away.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2476262 said:
I'm not saying for this just in general. Except for maybe Al Davis and Synder how many other owners give so many interviews? Yes I know he's the GM also but he just needs to back away.

OK..And I am not arguing with you but really want to know if you think it is detrimental to the team or does it just annoy you personally?

I think keeping the team out in front of the media helps, it keeps people interested, it keeps the money coming in allowing money for signing bonuses. I know all teams don't do it but I really haven't seen a downside.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
LarryCanadian;2476074 said:
I haven't heard the interview, but I think we should be careful about how those comments could be taken out of context. Jones talks ALOT.

Then he needs to quit talking about player injuries when it is clear he did not have all the facts. It was particularly troubling that he put his foot in his mouth and questioned one of our better and classiest players directly or indirectly. The decision to pull back press packets after the fact pretty much clarifies he was speaking about something he obviously was in the dark about. And he also was not consistent. He did not question Romo's fortitude after he pulled himself out of a game when we absolutely had a worse option than we had with Choice. And it was not as if our lack of a running game meant that Barber's decision (which really was just as much the training staff as him) had a significant impact on the game.

That is part of the issue I have with him right now. He needs to avoid speaking about things he is not aware of. He told everyone Tony Romo would play. He missed three games. He said Barber could play through the toe, but it really wasn't the toe that caused him to miss the game.

There is not a better owner in this league. Nobody cares more, works hard and does more for his franchise than he does. That is not in dispute. But he is clearly stretched thin with the new stadium and probably could have benefitted from a step back.

I have no problem with him having the final say. He's the owner. But it might be time for him to step back and allow someone else to take the front in terms of handling the talent and also speaking about it.

Big D

Reaction score
Gemini Dolly;2476071 said:
Is there proof of this or is this just the media trying to stir crap up?

As many times as it happens you'd think people would figure it out by now. :rolleyes:

rcaldw

Reaction score
Alexander;2476280 said:
Then he needs to quit talking about player injuries when it is clear he did not have all the facts. It was particularly troubling that he put his foot in his mouth and questioned one of our better and classiest players directly or indirectly. The decision to pull back press packets after the fact pretty much clarifies he was speaking about something he obviously was in the dark about. And he also was not consistent. He did not question Romo's fortitude after he pulled himself out of a game when we absolutely had a worse option than we had with Choice. And it was not as if our lack of a running game meant that Barber's decision (which really was just as much the training staff as him) had a significant impact on the game.

That is part of the issue I have with him right now. He needs to avoid speaking about things he is not aware of. He told everyone Tony Romo would play. He missed three games. He said Barber could play through the toe, but it really wasn't the toe that caused him to miss the game.

There is not a better owner in this league. Nobody cares more, works hard and does more for his franchise than he does. That is not in dispute. But he is clearly stretched thin with the new stadium and probably could have benefitted from a step back.

I have no problem with him having the final say. He's the owner. But it might be time for him to step back and allow someone else to take the front in terms of handling the talent and also speaking about it.

You got it. This is the real problem. The Marion Barber comments are just a symptom.

The plain truth is that Jerry Jones is NOT the football guy he WANTS to be, PRETENDS to be, and forces the rest of us to watch him TRY to be. When I listen to him talk about football it is just like listening to one of the guys in my living room watching a Monday Night Football game with me. It is especially painful when Jerry tries to get technical about football. He just doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. The most authentic thing that Jerry Jones ever says about football is stuff like, "we just need to play with passion", or "we gotta get fired up out there." Stick with that kind of stuff Jerry.

Truth is Jerry needs to be an owner, get out of the way at the GM position, get away from the mic except to promote your product, and let people who not only have given their lives to knowing football matters, but have actually proven that they know what they are doing take your team and make it better.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2476280 said:

He never questioned Barber "directly or indirectly" ...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2476070 said:
If the reports are accurate and Jerry did call him out basically, it is a bad decision I think.

We lost the game because the defense played great for 55 min.

The problem is that the game lasted 60 min.

basically called him out or called him out? I heard what Jerry said and did not get the feeling he was calling Barber out or questioning his toughness. I think this is another case of people trying to read between the lines instead of dealing what was said.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
rcaldw;2476293 said:
You got it. This is the real problem. The Marion Barber comments are just a symptom.

The plain truth is that Jerry Jones is NOT the football guy he WANTS to be, PRETENDS to be, and forces the rest of us to watch him TRY to be. When I listen to him talk about football it is just like listening to one of the guys in my living room watching a Monday Night Football game with me. It is especially painful when Jerry tries to get technical about football. He just doesn't sound like he knows what he is talking about. The most authentic thing that Jerry Jones ever says about football is stuff like, "we just need to play with passion", or "we gotta get fired up out there." Stick with that kind of stuff Jerry.

Truth is Jerry needs to be an owner, get out of the way at the GM position, get away from the mic except to promote your product, and let people who not only have given their lives to knowing football matters, but have actually proven that they know what they are doing take your team and make it better.

Does he affect the team?

rcaldw

Reaction score
5Countem5;2476302 said:
Does he affect the team?

His decisions as a GM, when he doesn't listen to his football people, affects the team.

His mouth, when it gets reported that he is questioning his best running back's toughness (whether accurate or not, his words left the door open for this) affects the team.

His shadowing over his coaching staff so that he is giving injury reports and trying to talk about game plans so that his head coach looks like a weak sister affects the team.

And before someone jumps up and yells, I also recognize that him spending money affects the team positively. I just think that that is where Jerry needs to stay. Spend the money, make your profit, enjoy your team, stop trying to be Jerry the Football Guy because you aren't that.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
rcaldw;2476307 said:
His decisions as a GM, when he doesn't listen to his football people, affects the team.

His mouth, when it gets reported that he is questioning his best running back's toughness (whether accurate or not, his words left the door open for this) affects the team.

His shadowing over his coaching staff so that he is giving injury reports and trying to talk about game plans so that his head coach looks like a weak sister affects the team.

And before someone jumps up and yells, I also recognize that him spending money affects the team positively. I just think that that is where Jerry needs to stay. Spend the money, make your profit, enjoy your team, stop trying to be Jerry the Football Guy because you aren't that.

I'm only talking about his "talking", and I have never seen a thing detrimental to the team..EVER.

Alexander

Reaction score
5Countem5;2476294 said:
He never questioned Barber "directly or indirectly" ...

This type of comment without including the important fact about the calf absolutely indirectly calls out the player.

"He can play with that injured toe. He can play with the soreness, combination of those things. I see nothing that would have led us to believe that he couldn't." That inclusion of nothing destroys the comment.

He also went on to say he was surprised Barber did not play and stunned he was not even making the trip. Then after the fact Phillips and Darmyple are going out of their way to do damage control.

Phillips said it was a team decision. That's fine. You would think our GM would know it and not be stunned he didn't make the trip. You would think our GM who supposedly knows more than Mickey Spagnola, Tashard Choice and Roy Williams, who all stated it was clear by Monday he would not play., would know that.

And if he didn't know, avoid talking about it. So either he is out of the loop or he was questioning that Barber should have played. There was nothing harmless about the comment. Either way, he comes out looking completely foolish.

This is no different from the kind of silliness we have seen when he tries to play doctor. He's seen X-rays and consistently, he shows he's not a doctor, nor an expert and really has no place speaking about injuries and medical issues. He needs to step back and stick to the things he is good at, making the team money.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2476325 said:
This type of comment without including the important fact about the calf absolutely indirectly calls out the player.

"He can play with that injured toe. He can play with the soreness, combination of those things. I see nothing that would have led us to believe that he couldn't." That inclusion of nothing destroys the comment.

He also went on to say he was surprised Barber did not play and stunned he was not even making the trip. Then after the fact Phillips and Darmyple are going out of their way to do damage control.

Phillips said it was a team decision. That's fine. You would think our GM would know it and not be stunned he didn't make the trip. You would think our GM who supposedly knows more than Mickey Spagnola, Tashard Choice and Roy Williams, who all stated it was clear by Monday he would not play., would know that.

And if he didn't know, avoid talking about it. So either he is out of the loop or he was questioning that Barber should have played. There was nothing harmless about the comment. Either way, he comes out looking completely foolish.

This is no different from the kind of silliness we have seen when he tries to play doctor. He's seen X-rays and consistently, he shows he's not a doctor, nor an expert and really has no place speaking about injuries and medical issues. He needs to step back and stick to the things he is good at, making the team money.

OK...What do you think , based on your years of watching Jerry and seeing the contract he gave Barber, that he thinks of Marion Barber.

rcaldw

Reaction score
5Countem5;2476317 said:
I'm only talking about his "talking", and I have never seen a thing detrimental to the team..EVER.

Wade Phillips was having to do damage control on Jerry's comments. That is a fact that just happened. Would you consider that positive?

Alexander

Reaction score
5Countem5;2476326 said:
OK...What do you think , based on your years of watching Jerry and seeing the contract he gave Barber, that he thinks of Marion Barber.

These are two separate issues. The fact he signed him to a nice contract does not speak to this case, nor is his regard for Barber in that respect even relevant here.

He could easily be disappointed, which he supposedly was, that a player he made very rich did not put it all on the line.

If I paid that kind of money to someone and was angered they did not play in a very big game when I absolutely saw "nothing" that would keep him out of it, my comments at that moment would reflect exactly what I thought of the situation and not speak to the fact I still liked the player enough to make him rich.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
rcaldw;2476328 said:
Wade Phillips was having to do damage control on Jerry's comments. That is a fact that just happened. Would you consider that positive?

It's not damage control, he was asked a question about it and Wade answered it.

I consider it a nothing. If that stupid question wasn't asked , another would have been and I doubt it affects Wade's ability to coach.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rcaldw;2476328 said:

Yeah it tells me Wade Phillips is running the team and saying who plays and who doesn't not Jerry Jones. This is Jerry's team and as long as it is he will be involved with the team. People can complain all they want but it does not change a thing

Alexander

Reaction score
5Countem5;2476342 said:

I consider it a nothing. If that stupid question wasn't asked , another would have been and I doubt it affects Wade's ability to coach.

Explain the decision to pull the excerpts from the media packets then.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2476340 said:
These are two separate issues. The fact he signed him to a nice contract does not speak to this case, nor is his regard for Barber in that respect even relevant here.

He could easily be disappointed, which he supposedly was, that a player he made very rich did not put it all on the line.

If I paid that kind of money to someone and was angered they did not play in a very big game when I absolutely saw "nothing" that would keep him out of it, my comments at that moment would reflect exactly what I thought of the situation and not speak to the fact I still liked the player enough to make him rich.

So, no matter what- you think Jerry called him out, and nothing even years of Jerry backing his players to a fault, will change your mind.

This is the stupidest "issue" to date from Valley Ranch. The media scored big here. They drummed up a controversy and you guys bought it.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander;2476344 said:
Explain the decision to pull the excerpts from the media packets then.

The idiotic reaction to an innocent comment is the main reason...

Please just answer- Do you think Jerry thinks Barber is a wussy?

rcaldw

Reaction score
5Countem5;2476342 said:

I understand the reasoning. I've heard it before. All these things that we PERCEIVE to be distractions are not REALLY distractions. They don't really affect the team. All the while we keep falling short and the same drama gets played out year after year.

When the Cowboys decline began in the 90's it had to do with players being arrested, suspended, rumors about racism, and the way that we dealt with it all was we treated it as keeping the Cowboys in the news. Doesn't really matter what happens off the field, the Cowboys brass will deal with that, once we step onto the field its all about football. Any news is good news (some would have said) because it keeps the Cowboys on Sports Center and in the newspapers.

Problem is, that stuff, no matter what anyone says, was ultimately our demise. Free agency did it to us, no question. But once all the "White House" garbage broke, and then the problems with the law, etc, etc, it was just a matter of time until the team imploded. Even the stuff that wasn't related to "bad" decisions with respect to the law, stuff like Deion Sanders' attitude and approach to the game as compared with what Jimmy Johnson would have allowed, that kind of thing dragged us down too.

Now, I am NOT putting these comments about Barber into the same category. Not even worth mentioning compared to that other stuff. But the idea that the things that happen AROUND the team NEVER affects the team, just isn't true.