Twitter: Todd Archer: ESPN considers TE to be Cowboys biggest need

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Personally, this is shocking to me since they gave Jarwin a fairly hefty extension and brought in Blake Bell.

Also odd since right now the candidates for RDE are Crawford, a player who has been out for 4 years, a player who has been out for a year and a 5th round rookie.

Who is THEY on the Cowboys that thinks Jarwin is a hole at TE? Their janitor?

817Gill

Reaction score
Ohhhh he’s saying the article writers made that the biggest hole. Thought he was giving insider info, good to hear because Jarwin got paid so it would be worrisome if they felt that way.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The 'They' that Archer is referring to are the ESPN people, not the Cowboys themselves.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think the Cowboys consider it a hole at all. Personally, though, I'd like a veteran fallback in case Jarwin can't handle the starter's role.

plasticman

Reaction score
I can see TE.

However, Jarwin got that extension because they believe he has the potential to be far more than what he is now.

Unfortunately, in order to achieve this he has to spend a significant time around his starting QB. He isn't going to develop a cohesive relationship with Dak if he spends the preseason catching passes from Dalton.

A QB has to have his security blanket, the guy you throw to when you need someone dependable in critical situations.

We all know about Jason Witten but Jay Novacek's importance to Troy Aikman has long been understated.

In one season Jay Novacek, an original "plan B" free agent, went from being a former 6th round backup for the Cardinals to Pro Bowler for 5 consecutive seasons. He is a 3 time SB champion. I cant you how many critical 1st downs he made in critical games during the regular season and the playoffs.

In the 13 playoffs he had 62 receptions for 645 yards and 6 TD's.

Like Jarwin, Novacek was extremely athletic. He was All state in both football and basketball. He broke the state record for pole vault.

In college, besides playing football, he was All American in track, 4th place NCAA declathon.

He is also championship level rodeo in cutting horses.

There is a rumor that Jerry Jones is strongly considering him for ROH this season.

I got long winded because I just think its important for younger fans to appreciate just how great some of the other guys were. There was quality everywhere and it didnt have to be a 1st round pick.

Anyway, Dak needs his Novacek/Witten and it would be so perfect of Jarwin made this season his turning point. Novacek proves it can happen.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I think Strong Safety, Tight End, and Punter are the Cowboys "weakest" spots. Center could be in that conversation as well.

CB1 (or outside CB) was up there but the team has thrown bodies (Diggs, Robinson, Worley) at it.

Oneiros

Reaction score
Personally I think Jarwin is going to go off this year...
I like Jarwin a lot and think he has potential to have a huge year for us.

I still would have liked for us to have looked to the draft for some other options although it appears we were high on McKeon and had considered drafting him in the 5th round had Anae not been there.

So maybe they see something in him that I'm missing?

DanA

Reaction score
I think it's entirely dependent on what we're willing to spend.

If we're talking trading a 1st round pick or spending 20m.....DE or safety. If we're talking flipping a late-round pick to improve depth then I'm on the TE train. Nothing to do with Blake Jarwin, he's earned a shot IMO. But I don't think Dalton Shultz is NFL level so that 3rd TE spot is the most upgradable position (on the cheap).

CCBoy

Reaction score
Michigan University and Cowboys UDFA tight end Sean McKeon is a 6-foot-5, 246-pound inline blocking tight end with smooth route-running skills. I think the erratic quarterback play at Michigan cost this player an opportunity to showcase what he can really do.

McKeon needs to get stronger at the point of attack and doesn’t offer much burst on his routes but he is smooth and can find holes in a zone which can be a quarterback’s best friend. In my mind, this player will find a way to be on the opening day roster.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/03/dallas-cowboys-undrafted-rookies-shot-roster/

Oneiros

Reaction score
Michigan University and Cowboys UDFA tight end Sean McKeon is a 6-foot-5, 246-pound inline blocking tight end with smooth route-running skills. I think the erratic quarterback play at Michigan cost this player an opportunity to showcase what he can really do.

McKeon needs to get stronger at the point of attack and doesn’t offer much burst on his routes but he is smooth and can find holes in a zone which can be a quarterback’s best friend. In my mind, this player will find a way to be on the opening day roster.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/03/dallas-cowboys-undrafted-rookies-shot-roster/
If it ends the Schultz experiment then sign me up.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I can see TE.

However, Jarwin got that extension because they believe he has the potential to be far more than what he is now.

Unfortunately, in order to achieve this he has to spend a significant time around his starting QB. He isn't going to develop a cohesive relationship with Dak if he spends the preseason catching passes from Dalton.

A QB has to have his security blanket, the guy you throw to when you need someone dependable in critical situations.

We all know about Jason Witten but Jay Novacek's importance to Troy Aikman has long been understated.

In one season Jay Novacek, an original "plan B" free agent, went from being a former 6th round backup for the Cardinals to Pro Bowler for 5 consecutive seasons. He is a 3 time SB champion. I cant you how many critical 1st downs he made in critical games during the regular season and the playoffs.

In the 13 playoffs he had 62 receptions for 645 yards and 6 TD's.

Like Jarwin, Novacek was extremely athletic. He was All state in both football and basketball. He broke the state record for pole vault.

In college, besides playing football, he was All American in track, 4th place NCAA declathon.

He is also championship level rodeo in cutting horses.

There is a rumor that Jerry Jones is strongly considering him for ROH this season.

I got long winded because I just think its important for younger fans to appreciate just how great some of the other guys were. There was quality everywhere and it didnt have to be a 1st round pick.

Anyway, Dak needs his Novacek/Witten and it would be so perfect of Jarwin made this season his turning point. Novacek proves it can happen.

Overall great post. I am a little more optimistic about Jarwin and time spent with Dak because he has done well even with limited football catching opportunities. Not that I disagree with the more time Jarwin and Prescott spend together the more effective they will be, particularly on two fronts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Personally, this is shocking to me since they gave Jarwin a fairly hefty extension and brought in Blake Bell.

Also odd since right now the candidates for RDE are Crawford, a player who has been out for 4 years, a player who has been out for a year and a 5th round rookie.

This is 100% our biggest hole. 4 million per year isn't hefty. And paying someone doesn't mean you have solved the problem. Especially for a team that claims to want to run the ball a lot. I do like the underated signing of Bell for blocking purposes.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I'd say the following:

1. Safety - who's going to actually be the SS?
2. RDE - all depends on whether Gregory or Smith are actually reinstated or not. Also, how will Anae or Carter contribute?
3. TE - although I think we're in a better position than last year it's still a huge unknown.
4. P - Jones needs competition especially considering how much he counts against the salary cap this season.

Haha can play strong safety and I actually think strong safety would be X Woods best position. Personally I think RDE is our biggest hole but I see the argument for tight end.

DanA

Reaction score
People are harsh on Haha Clinton-Dix. He was a 1st round pick, went to a pro-bowl, has never missed a start and is coming off a solid season. He's a little awkward tackling but he's still a good player.

cheyennes

Reaction score
You can run the football With personal 10 or 20 and use fb/hb.
I like the fb/rb from TCU

Dallasfann

Reaction score
There were a small group of us who got destroyed last year when we said Jarwin was by far the best option we had at tight end. He should of played on 85% of the snaps last year. Instead Witten got 80% and Jarwin got 20 % of the plays. Another horrible decision by Garrett. Witten was the worst option we could of had playing tight end for us last season. It was a true tragedy to watch because he will go down as one of my favorites.