Twitter: Todd Archer Notes From Camp So Far 8/26

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I’ll be shocked if Noah Brown makes this roster.
Would think him a long shot but that was before we lost the FB.
Without a FB and needing ST he could be the sweet spot as an H-Back ST ace.

All that said, that kinda changes the discussion as he wouldn't be grouped with WR so much as with RB.

Could keep 5 WR and Noah as the 3rd RB in a FB/HBack role.

lkelly

Reaction score
I'm not defending his NFL career...per se. Nor that we HAVE to keep him. I am saying he's not a garbage player.

It's funny we beeched and moaned and beeched some more about our poor coaching, game and player management. BUT! we CHOOSE to trust them if it advances our agenda.....it's the player's fault. Brown MUST be complete garbage since our sheety coaches didn't utitlze him. Didn't? Or wouldn;t or couldn't?

If you cared to read my posts instead of knee jerking...you'd see I said he has a lack of downs. That is indeed problematic and challenging. At tOSU...there were some injuries and incredible WR roster to share snaps with...which you listed and those guys ALL got snaps and went on to be great receivers anyway...despite your (phony) "progress stopper" theory. I also said he might get a PS spot here as an asset. .

I just don;t get some of you guys here. You either argue things not said- made up in your head...or you argue stuff we agree on. It's maddening.

I guess I'm not sure what your argument is for keeping him on the roster.

Yes, I think the previous coaching staff was flawed. It did, however, manage to turn Gallup into a borderline #1 WR. It also managed to build up Cole Beasley into a decent enough WR that he pulled down a large free agent contract. I guess they failed to develop Brown over that same period when he couldn't make any sort of contribution in the half season prior to Cooper's arrival. Strange that he'll suddenly blossom behind Cooper, Gallup, and Lamb. He's also on the final year of his contract I believe, so if you're going to keep him you have to factor in your desire to sign him to a new deal.

I guess we can agree that his college career was incredibly underwhelming outside of that 70 yard 5 catch game against Oklahoma. You did put up his highlights of course. Maybe I interpreted that as support for what he did in Columbus.

I don't see anything worth building on after his 2 years playing in college and 3 years in the NFL. Saying he's a great blocker is like saying your prom date has a great personality. If all he can do is block and you play him 10 plays on offense a game, you're pretty much advertising that it's a running play. If it's a passing play, can he win against anyone? If he's the last special teamer and has pro bowl potential there? Not sure I've seen signs that he's Matthew Slater. I think I'd rather the club use the "he's good at special teams" slot on a DB that needs a year or so of refinement. Not a WR that doesn't make any plays in the passing game and has an expiring contract.

So that's where I'm coming from when I label him a progress stopper. If he's getting reps at the expense of potentially the next Miles Austin or Cole Beasley, how does that help the team long term?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
~snipped for space and clarity~

So that's where I'm coming from when I label him a progress stopper. If he's getting reps at the expense of potentially the next Miles Austin or Cole Beasley, how does that help the team long term?

The fact that he COULD be them? He needs some reps to show it.

I'm letting MM handle it for now. I trust him. Looks like he;s trying to get a look see at camp.

BTW...*I* never said anything about blocking.....I know...you're addressing more than just me I just wanted to clarify that.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Ah, the old "let's get out the old draft highlights to justify a guy a who has done nothing in the NFL in 3 seasons." He has 9 career catches. I don't care if he's Larry Allen out blocking on a DB in the 8 snaps he gets on offense. That's a progress stopper. And you inserted the "#1" into my quote (therefore it's no longer a quote). I'm referring to the primary or secondary option on a play.

But back to his college tape. He had 411 career yards. He had 7 total touchdowns, and 4 of them came in one game against a terrible Oklahoma defense (69th in the NCAA). He never once had a 100 yard game. He had two 50 yard games. I'm guessing his last 100 yard game came in high school, but I'm just making the assumption that he had one then. All his stats came in one 2016 season for the Buckeyes - his freshman year he had 1 catch for 9 yards and lost 4 yards on one rushing attempt. Heck, one could argue that he was a progress stopper on that 2016 Ohio State team which had Terry McLaurin, KJ Hill, Parris Campbell, Binjimen Victor, and Austin Mack all waiting to get more reps.

It's time to cut bait on Brown. Let him simulate one of the Eagles' terrible WRs on the practice squad if you don't want to give away his locker.
Whose progress is he stopping? And how many receptions do you expect from a 5th WR on a roster with Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Zeke, Pollard and Jarwin?

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's such a zero.

"But he's a great blocker!" Well, fine. Put a TE out there and you have an even better blocker. Clearly he's not going to be in formations where he's going to be a primary or secondary receiver.

#progressstopper
Whose progress is he stopping? And how many receptions do you expect from a 5th WR on a roster with Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Zeke, Pollard and Jarwin?
which is why i don't want him on the roster.

We need more speed and guys that are not as limited in the pass game.
When he is in a game, its a giveaway that its a run play.
And Kellen Moore has known to be a proponent for speed;

Need special teams ?
that's when a Ventrell Bryant one of the Cowboys better special teamers comes in.

Noah Brown vs Ventrell Bryant...are people really worked up about preferring VB over NB...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
why? the 5th and 6th spots are about special teams. the 5th and 6th guy probably play less than 5% of the snaps all year. not big contributors. Noah can play special teams and given how bad we were last year on ST, we really need players who take ST seriously

Maybe on average for the entire season.

The issue is that 5th WRs often play significant snaps for a few games per year.

Cedrick Wilson played 32%, 20% and 19% in his top 3 games. He was either the 5th or 6th WR.

Austin as the 4th WR averaged around 30% in the games that he played.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Noah Brown singlehandedly also made us lose in the playoffs last year to Seattle. He is Garrett's pet cat and was used extensively during that game. He should be cut and play for Garrett's team. That way he can help screw up their offense like how he did when playing against Seattle.
Completely wrong.

The INT play was clearly pass interference but it was not called.

I've reviewed that play in super slow motion from both the broadcast camera view and the coaches film.

The defender ran into Brown well before the ball arrived.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Completely wrong.

The INT play was clearly pass interference but it was not called.

I've reviewed that play in super slow motion from both the broadcast camera view and the coaches film.

The defender ran into Brown well before the ball arrived.

Where am I wrong? He could have still caught it. Plus he dropped two passes that killed drives.

My point is why they used him quite a bit in that game while we had other weapons that were killing the Seahawks.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Maybe on average for the entire season.

The issue is that 5th WRs often play significant snaps for a few games per year.

Cedrick Wilson played 32%, 20% and 19% in his top 3 games. He was either the 5th or 6th WR.

Austin as the 4th WR averaged around 30% in the games that he played.
that averages out to not much over the course of the year.

and how did he did in those games? how many times was he targeted? what was his role?

we win or lose with top 3 or 4. if we rely on the 5th or 6th WR then we are doomed any way.

now, the 4th WR will get some snaps, but probably not as primary target.......

and the 5th and 6th WR bread and butter is special teams, if they want to be active on game day.....

in the past we have kept players who were special teams demons....and you need those type of players.