Twitter: Todd France and CAA part ways

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Monsieur france sees the future. New tv deal, gambling revenue. Larger contracts. Only thing that might unrail his master plan is a tiny little virus.
We have zero clue as to what has created this... conflagration of circumstances.
Maybe Dak, as we are Cowboy fans, but he's rep'd many NFL players successfully over the years.

As always, we should not be myopic about any subject.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You keep telling yourself that while not reading the entire NFL player contract.

I mean all of it.

You actually think football players read the contract details? You think football players would even understand contract details if someone explained it to them. All they care about is signing bonus, guaranteed money and total contract value. If those three are good, then where do I sign.

Corso

Reaction score
You actually think football players read the contract details? You think football players would even understand contract details if someone explained it to them. All they care about is signing bonus, guaranteed money and total contract value. If those three are good, then where do I sign.
Nope. I don't think they read them. That's the agent's job that you dismiss.

Edit: And you are a contracting employer's dream.

cern

Reaction score
Not so. Richard Sherman makes his own deals. Others are capable as well. Still, best to be represented.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'd so dress you down in a complicated business negotiation...
I know they'd need legal follow through ...obviously.
Was just backing the guy up on the general nature of the offer that was presented to Dak.

I’ve started many companies and handled many negotiations, btw.

Corso

Reaction score
Yes, I am. I am a very easy person when it comes to getting things done. Hey Jerry and Stephen, let's save some trees and forget the paperwork. A handshake will do.
I can dig that.

Corso

Reaction score
I know they'd need legal follow through ...obviously.
Was just backing the guy up on the general nature of the offer that was presented to Dak.

I’ve started many companies and handled many negotiations, btw.
Right on.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Having a few mega stars seems like the way to go. Leverage them to add a couple rookie every year. Bust a hump for 10 years. Retire and go fishing. That’s my plan.

John813

Reaction score
Cool. Guess we'll wait and see on what Dak does. The cowboys were talking to Segal in training camp regarding Cooper but when Segal and Chafie split Cooper went with Chafie

Corso

Reaction score
Having a few mega stars seems like the way to go. Leverage them to add a couple rookie every year. Bust a hump for 10 years. Retire and go fishing. That’s my plan.
That guy reps several of the biggest names in the game already.
He leaves CAA? Maybe we should then look into which clients defect, but even then: he's made mega millions and he's going to get residuals.

Dude could retire today.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Monsieur france sees the future. New tv deal, gambling revenue. Larger contracts. Only thing that might unrail his master plan is a tiny little virus.

I said this about France during the negotiations. He's not of a mind of creating a startup hoping to get bought by one of the big guys and cashing out. He's one of those types that wants to compete with the big guys and maybe knock a few off to become one of, if not THE big guy. Can't knock the moxie.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Dak didn't even need an agent. How hard could the negotiations have been? I could have negotiated myself. $50M Signing Bonus, $75M guaranteed, 5 year $150M plus whatever standard incentives Jerry and Stephen want to include.

Done. And no agent fees.

You will be selling yourself short. I would go with 165-170 million for 5 years with a 105-110 million guarantee money. The guarantee is around Goff/ Wentz range.

Corso

Reaction score
I said this about France during the negotiations. He's not of a mind of creating a startup hoping to get bought by one of the big guys and cashing out. He's one of those types that wants to compete with the big guys and maybe knock a few off to become one of, if not THE big guy. Can't knock the moxie.
You can't break through walls without ambition.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
@Bigdog Yes, I would be selling myself a little short but I want to leave money for the other players so the Cowboys can field a good team and surround me with talent. Winning leads to endorsements which leads to more money. And the players appreciate that in a leader. Fans like it too. Stay away from greed and think long term. Sign something fair and you will have a great chance to make a lot of money in Dallas for many years after you have retired.

I never thought of Staubach as greedy. Don't know how much he made as a player but he made a heck of a lot more after he retired with investments and opportunities presented to him by people wanting to do business with a true leader and good person.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You will be selling yourself short. I would go with 165-170 million for 5 years with a 105-110 million guarantee money. The guarantee is around Goff/ Wentz range.

And YOU'D be selling yourself short. The guarantees in Goff/Wentz range are dollars they got with 4-year extensions. Asking for a 5th year would require more guarantees if you think he's comparable to them. An agent's article listed guarantees at about $130M on a 5-year deal. None of the rumors ever had guarantees even in the $120s to meet half way plus a year removed from those deals. This is why I think a deal didn't get done and no one wants to talk about that because it doesn't fit the "Dak was greedy" narrative to make him out to be the bad guy against a saintly front office who'd surely never be unfair with offers. Oh heaven's no, lol.

Bigdog

Reaction score
@Bigdog Yes, I would be selling myself a little short but I want to leave money for the other players so the Cowboys can field a good team and surround me with talent. Winning leads to endorsements which leads to more money. And the players appreciate that in a leader. Fans like it too. Stay away from greed and think long term. Sign something fair and you will have a great chance to make a lot of money in Dallas for many years after you have retired.

I never thought of Staubach as greedy. Don't know how much he made as a player but he made a heck of a lot more after he retired with investments and opportunities presented to him by people wanting to do business with a true leader and good person.
I can see it that way also. Forgot about the endorsements that come along with being a Cowboys qb if you win.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Rumor has it this was his last phone call to Jerry which pretty much got him canned!

tenor.gif

Jerry “CLICK”

Londonboy

Reaction score
Dak didn't even need an agent. How hard could the negotiations have been? I could have negotiated myself. $50M Signing Bonus, $75M guaranteed, 5 year $150M plus whatever standard incentives Jerry and Stephen want to include.

Done. And no agent fees.

It honestly would have taken me one minute to strike a deal with Jerry and Stephen.
Can Y'all throw?