Twitter: Todd France and CAA part ways

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That guy reps several of the biggest names in the game already.
He leaves CAA? Maybe we should then look into which clients defect, but even then: he's made mega millions and he's going to get residuals.

Dude could retire today.

I agree but he is pretty young. Those agents run hard. I don’t think it’s easy for them to retire young. They would be major league bored.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
@Bigdog Yes, I would be selling myself a little short but I want to leave money for the other players so the Cowboys can field a good team and surround me with talent. Winning leads to endorsements which leads to more money. And the players appreciate that in a leader. Fans like it too. Stay away from greed and think long term. Sign something fair and you will have a great chance to make a lot of money in Dallas for many years after you have retired.

I never thought of Staubach as greedy. Don't know how much he made as a player but he made a heck of a lot more after he retired with investments and opportunities presented to him by people wanting to do business with a true leader and good person.
Well you could have those incentives like the ability to do investments, endorsements, and retirement. But being the "easy person" and relying on a handshake deal, its a big possibility you can't do any of that.

Look what happened to the McDonald's brothers, you can't trust anyone.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Well you could have those incentives like the ability to do investments, endorsements, and retirement. But being the "easy person" and relying on a handshake deal, its a big possibility you can't do any of that.

Look what happened the the McDonald's brothers, you can't trust anyone.

Yup. Yore of yesteryear and Disney have conned many a person into thinking things will just be okay because they should be. See how far that goes.

bandfan

Reaction score
You actually think football players read the contract details? You think football players would even understand contract details if someone explained it to them. All they care about is signing bonus, guaranteed money and total contract value. If those three are good, then where do I sign.
I've posted many times in the past that if I was a college coach a class on contract law would be a requirement to be on the team....

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I've posted many times in the past that if I was a college coach a class on contract law would be a requirement to be on the team....

Hey coach, one question: would I do better if I had a contract or would it be better just to collect the money you and the boosters are paying under the table with no contract?

bandfan

Reaction score
Hey coach, one question: would I do better if I had a contract or would it be better just to collect the money you and the boosters are paying under the table with no contract?
I hope that made more sense than I think it does....

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure and this is nothing more than a guess or opinion. I think it was a couple of things. First CCA was pissed that they didn't get their share of the money pie because of how France handled things with Prescott and no contract. Agents don't get paid anything for signing franchise tags. I also heard rumors, and they aren't all that reliable, but the last couple of hours of the last day to get a deal done Prescott was talking directly with Jones and this got back to CCA. In a different thread a while back I said that after the deadline passed and no deal that come some time before the season is over Prescott just may fire France so he can get a deal done as soon as the season is over.

cern

Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure and this is nothing more than a guess or opinion. I think it was a couple of things. First CCA was pissed that they didn't get their share of the money pie because of how France handled things with Prescott and no contract. Agents don't get paid anything for signing franchise tags. I also heard rumors, and they aren't all that reliable, but the last couple of hours of the last day to get a deal done Prescott was talking directly with Jones and this got back to CCA. In a different thread a while back I said that after the deadline passed and no deal that come some time before the season is over Prescott just may fire France so he can get a deal done as soon as the season is over.
Agents get 2 percent for tagged deals vs the normal 3 percent. Not likely dak isn't represented next time.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dak didn't even need an agent. How hard could the negotiations have been? I could have negotiated myself. $50M Signing Bonus, $75M guaranteed, 5 year $150M plus whatever standard incentives Jerry and Stephen want to include.

Done. And no agent fees.

It honestly would have taken me one minute to strike a deal with Jerry and Stephen.

agents only make it difficult so they can fill their own pocket.

cern

Reaction score
I didn't consider whether or not a noncompete clause is involved. I would think the sports agent business is one where this could apply. So he may not have bosa, et. al. As corso said, can't be myopic about some things. Mea culpa.

cern

Reaction score
We have zero clue as to what has created this... conflagration of circumstances.
Maybe Dak, as we are Cowboy fans, but he's rep'd many NFL players successfully over the years.

As always, we should not be myopic about any subject.
You're right. A noncompete clause could be in affect. In which case any clients he ends up representing can't be cca's.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, the details in contracts are pretty much the same standard stuff in all player contracts. Jerry and Stephen are not the type to play games in contract details.

Just how many NFL contracts have you seen? I have a friend who is originally from L.A. but at one time lived next door to me in condos in Dallas who was a player agent for about 15 years. He is now retired and living in the San Diego area I asked one time if he and/or all agents use a boiler plate contract and just make little changes on them and he said sort of. He said there are clauses required by the league in every contract and that makes up the first page. He said after that first page each contract is different. They all have base salaries and the different bonuses but the wording for each is different for every player because of all the things tied to each. Even when a team and player come to a general agreement of things it's still a back and forth with slight changes in the wording at different places.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
Again, to me it speaks volumes that Dak didn’t step in sooner in before the deadline passes.. How greedy and stupid can a person be???

He ****ed it up, and that’s not a quality I like it my QB..

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Agents get 2 percent for tagged deals vs the normal 3 percent. Not likely dak isn't represented next time.

Hi cern. I should have stated that if Prescott fires France that he will get a different agent. I saw an interview with Leigh Steinberg after he decided to get back into being an agent and he had a player, don't remember who, that was tagged and he said that we've got to get this thing done so it just football and then said besides I don't make anything off him signing the tag. I have a friend who used to be an agent, he's retired now but maybe he knows because I'm sure he still talks to some of the agents from time to time. I'm going try to contact him and ask him about this. The last time I did that it took him like 2 weeks before he called me back after just getting his voice mail.

88sAndHeartbreak

Reaction score
Again, to me it speaks volumes that Dak didn’t step in sooner in before the deadline passes.. How greedy and stupid can a person be???

He ****ed it up, and that’s not a quality I like it my QB..
So Dak parts ways with an agent who is known to set the market with his clients. Yet some how Dak is greedy... interesting.