Twitter: Todd France and CAA part ways

NotForLong

Reaction score
Dak didn't even need an agent. How hard could the negotiations have been? I could have negotiated myself. $50M Signing Bonus, $75M guaranteed, 5 year $150M plus whatever standard incentives Jerry and Stephen want to include.

Done. And no agent fees.

It honestly would have taken me one minute to strike a deal with Jerry and Stephen.
This is true.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Just how many NFL contracts have you seen? I have a friend who is originally from L.A. but at one time lived next door to me in condos in Dallas who was a player agent for about 15 years. He is now retired and living in the San Diego area I asked one time if he and/or all agents use a boiler plate contract and just make little changes on them and he said sort of. He said there are clauses required by the league in every contract and that makes up the first page. He said after that first page each contract is different. They all have base salaries and the different bonuses but the wording for each is different for every player because of all the things tied to each. Even when a team and player come to a general agreement of things it's still a back and forth with slight changes in the wording at different places.

I have seen zero NFL contracts, like everyone here. Do you think the reason Dak and Jerry did not agree is because of contract wording buried in the details? Not a chance. They could not agree on the length of the contract and the money.

The agreement between the owners and the NFL players union mandates a lot of what can and can't be put into contracts. So, the details are pretty much the same.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Dak didn't even need an agent. How hard could the negotiations have been? I could have negotiated myself. $50M Signing Bonus, $75M guaranteed, 5 year $150M plus whatever standard incentives Jerry and Stephen want to include.

Done. And no agent fees.

It honestly would have taken me one minute to strike a deal with Jerry and Stephen.

This reminds me of an argument I had with an acquaintance a while back regarding how easy it was to become an attorney - all one needed to do was watch Law and Order to get the lingo down and hiring a paralegal to get the “paperwork “ right. Actuality it was less an argument than him getting mad while I laughed.

So, yeah.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Done. And no agent fees.

Dak pees on your leg and tells you its raining.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can only help but wonder if this "parting of the ways" between Todd France and the CAA leads to more reasonable deals for he and Dak to pursue. I'll freely admit to being of the mind that the CAA was an influence in Todd France's demands being absurdly excessive in his advising Dak to favor the contracts that he did with the Cowboys. I hope for much more moderation to be forthcoming in his and Dak's contract proposals in the future. :)

Last edited:

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
So does this mean Dak will have a new agent? Most of these agencies make their agents sign noncompete agreements barring them from taking clients with them if they leave.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I have seen zero NFL contracts, like everyone here. Do you think the reason Dak and Jerry did not agree is because of contract wording buried in the details? Not a chance. They could not agree on the length of the contract and the money.

The agreement between the owners and the NFL players union mandates a lot of what can and can't be put into contracts. So, the details are pretty much the same.

I didn't say ANYTHING about why why Prescott didn't get a contract done. I was just clarifying your "details in contracts are pretty much the same standard stuff in all player contracts".

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score

Done. And no agent fees.

I would negotiate myself, pay a team of lawyers 10K to look it over. Done. Easy peasy.

Flamma

Reaction score
And YOU'D be selling yourself short. The guarantees in Goff/Wentz range are dollars they got with 4-year extensions. Asking for a 5th year would require more guarantees if you think he's comparable to them. An agent's article listed guarantees at about $130M on a 5-year deal. None of the rumors ever had guarantees even in the $120s to meet half way plus a year removed from those deals. This is why I think a deal didn't get done and no one wants to talk about that because it doesn't fit the "Dak was greedy" narrative to make him out to be the bad guy against a saintly front office who'd surely never be unfair with offers. Oh heaven's no, lol.

Just a side note here because you make a good point. I just wanted to point something out.

For example, the contracts between Goff and Dak would have ended up similar regardless. Since Dak would be signing a new contract, not an extension, he'd probably play 4 out of the 5 years before asking for an extension. The last year of his contract he'd never see anyway. That would get restructured and pushed forward. In those 4 years Dak would get between 107-110 million. Same with Goff. Same with Wentz. So they would all be playing 4 years with the same amount of guarantees. So technically you're right because you're counting the 5th year. But in reality it doesn't play a role.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I wonder if Daks contract had anything to do with it. Dak had to get on the phone to work out his own deal. Seems that france threw out a huge contract and wouldn’t come down thinking JJ would cave, when we didn’t cave Dak got on the phone and boom, he gets a offer he would have signed. Was Wilson’s yearly average and was goffs guaranteed money and a fat 50 million dollar signing bonus with 70 million of guaranteed money in the first 2 years. He didn’t need france. I hope he fires him and signs a contract next year that similar. I bet while JJ and SJ has him on the phone they discussed the same type deal for next year with a adjusted yearly and a few million more for guaranteed money. I think they worked out the structure needed for both sides. Fire your agent Dak and save your 3% fees..

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I wonder if Daks contract had anything to do with it. Dak had to get on the phone to work out his own deal. Seems that france threw out a huge contract and wouldn’t come down thinking JJ would cave, when we didn’t cave Dak got on the phone and boom, he gets a offer he would have signed. Was Wilson’s yearly average and was goffs guaranteed money and a fat 50 million dollar signing bonus with 70 million of guaranteed money in the first 2 years. He didn’t need france. I hope he fires him and signs a contract next year that similar. I bet while JJ and SJ has him on the phone they discussed the same type deal for next year with a adjusted yearly and a few million more for guaranteed money. I think they worked out the structure needed for both sides. Fire your agent Dak and save your 3% fees..
France had two other clients play this year on the tag. I forget which ones. It’s rare to see 3 players ever play the year on the tag anymore, much less with same agent. Deals almost always get worked out at the last minute.

Qcard

Reaction score

lol he messed up Daks deal.

Dak Prescott inspiring Professional Agents to bet on themselves too!!

That's that Master's in Workforce Management on full display.

Maybe, Todd France and Dakota Prescott are starting their own Firm?:thumbup:

glimmerman

Reaction score
France had two other clients play this year on the tag. I forget which ones. It’s rare to see 3 players ever play the year on the tag anymore, much less with same agent. Deals almost always get worked out at the last minute.
I agree. When I heard that Dak was talking with SJ and JJ I figured a deal would get done. And I can’t remember the other 2 players either but your right. He had 2’other playing on the tag. He is either asking to much or not doing his job. He had bosa and tannehill and got them money but left 3 sitting. I know the other 2 playing on the tag aren’t big named players. I am thinking he is asking to much in a uncertain year. Just found it strange that Dak was able to get something done when france couldn’t. It maybe that when france pulled the plug on a hand shake deal last year that may have ticked JJ off so the Joneses refused to work with him. Should have called Dak earlier but both sides may be ok with the tag this year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Actually hearing now that Dak has parted ways with france. Love it. Sign the contract next year for sure now. Some of you guys aren’t going to like it but Dak is staying...

Last edited: