Tom Brady on modest contract: I’m selfless and my wife ‘makes a lot of money’

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
He's all about winning. Has nothing to do with his wife making a lot of money. He says that, I believe, to deflect pressure from the union and the other players. Gives them an easy out when they're asked why they won't take less for the sake of having a better team too. "His wife makes a lot of money." Whatever. I'm sure what he makes in endorsements dwarfs either of their salaries. He doesn't maximize his on-field earnings because he's all about winning.

InTheZone

Reaction score
This comment just adds excuses for players without rich wives. TB should've left that part out

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
He's all about winning. Has nothing to do with his wife making a lot of money. He says that, I believe, to deflect pressure from the union and the other players. Gives them an easy out when they're asked why they won't take less for the sake of having a better team too. "His wife makes a lot of money." Whatever. I'm sure what he makes in endorsements dwarfs either of their salaries. He doesn't maximize his on-field earnings because he's all about winning.

Its not as transparent as that. He's also made over 200 million $ just from football contracts. He's wildly rich, a few million here or there will be fractions of a percentage of his overall net worth. Not counting his endorsements, not counting his wife. That's why it's unrealistic to ask a Dak Prescott (or any QB not already done with their 3rd, 4th, 5th contract) to take a similar deal. Just a 1 million dollar swing on the total value of Dak's next contract represents about +150% of what he's made in his entire life.

Last edited:

rynochop

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Kraft hasn't guaranteed him some kind of equity share in ownership after he retires

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Its not as transparent as that. He's also made over 200 million $ just from football contracts. He's wildly rich, a few million here or there will be fractions of a percentage of his overall net worth. Not counting his endorsements, not counting his wife. That's why it's unrealistic to ask a Dak Prescott (or any QB not already done with their 3rd, 4th, 5th contract) to take a similar deal. Just a 1 million dollar swing on the total value of Dak's next contract represents about +150% of what he's made in his entire life.

Your math is fuzzy. It implies Dak hasn’t made more than $667K in his life.

Beyond that, what he’s made in the past isn’t very meaningful. $24M a year buys you the same lifestyle as $28M a year. $65M guaranteed puts you in the same economic strata as $80M guaranteed. Dak’s gonna be in a position to be making financial decisions for the benefit of grandchildren that don’t yet exist.

If any of these QBs wanted to be like Tom they could be. They just don’t want to be. So they get bragging rights on being highest paid (until the next guy) and he gets to be GOAT.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Your math is fuzzy. It implies Dak hasn’t made more than $667K in his life.

Beyond that, what he’s made in the past isn’t very meaningful. $24M a year buys you the same lifestyle as $28M a year. $65M guaranteed puts you in the same economic strata as $80M guaranteed. Dak’s gonna be in a position to be making financial decisions for the benefit of grandchildren that don’t yet exist.

If any of these QBs wanted to be like Tom they could be. They just don’t want to be. So they get bragging rights on being highest paid (until the next guy) and he gets to be GOAT.

He hasn't. He signed a 4 years, 2.7 million dollar contract, and year 4 (this year) will pay him over 2 million in base salary. It's how you get out of paying 4th round picks if they dont pan out.

So unless he won the lottery in middle school or has a hip hop album on the charts, what he made before that <700k is inconsequential. My math is solid.

It's not just about how it impacts you after you sign it, it's about how you feel about it when you sign it. 100m$ is worth exactly the same to Warren Buffet as it is to you. But you will perceive it extraordinarily differently than he will because of your life experiences that led you to this point.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
He hasn't. He signed a 4 years, 2.7 million dollar contract, and year 4 (this year) will pay him over 2 million in base salary. It's how you get out of paying 4th round picks if they dont pan out.

So unless he won the lottery in middle school or has a hip hop album on the charts, what he made before that <700k is inconsequential. My math is solid.

It's not just about how it impacts you after you sign it, it's about how you feel about it when you sign it. 100m$ is worth exactly the same to Warren Buffet as it is to you. But you will perceive it extraordinarily differently than he will because of your life experiences that led you to this point.

Your math is bad. He made $630K in salary last year alone. It was his 3rd year in the league. He’ll make about $2M next year because of performance escalators that have kicked in.

If Dak or others need to adjust their perceptual filters in order to realize that they’re into planning their grandchildren’s finances even earning Brady money, so be it. Until they do, they’re effectively choosing temporary bragging rights over winning.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It's not like he would be poverty stricken if he wasn't married to her.

Flamma

Reaction score
Brady is a 27 million dollar cap hit this year. He was a 22 million dollar cap hit last year. I know he can make more but people make it out to be like he's playing for peanuts in order to win. His cap hit has to be among the highest in the league.