Tomlinson to be highest-paid RB

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
By Jim Trotter
The San Diego Union-Tribune

August 12, 2004

CARSON – The Chargers made no progress with unsigned rookie quarterback Philip Rivers yesterday, but sources close to the situation said the team is closing in on a contract extension with LaDainian Tomlinson that would make him the highest-paid running back in the NFL.

Tomlinson declined comment when contacted last night, but sources said the sides all but agreed in principle after Tomlinson met with club President Dean Spanos yesterday afternoon.

All that remains is to finalize the language of the contract, which is believed to exceed the $50 million, eight-year deal that Clinton Portis signed with the Washington Commanders this offseason.

Tomlinson's existing contract runs through the 2005 season and calls for him to earn $5.5 million this year and $6.5 million next year. The potential new deal will tie him to the team through 2011, sources said.

The Chargers approached Tomlinson about an extension late in the offseason, but it wasn't until recently that the pace of negotiations accelerated. Finalizing a deal with their most productive and most popular player would be huge for the team because it would help change the negative culture that surrounded recent negotiations with marquee players.

By renegotiating Tomlinson's deal with two years to go, the Chargers can make a case that they indeed intend to take care of their franchise players. The fact that Tomlinson has said for some time that he wants to be a Charger for life – despite the organization's struggles – helped talks progress swiftly.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040812/news_1s12lt.html

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
good for him, he deserves it. Shove that in pipe and smoke it CP...

Eagles-UK

Reaction score
He's earned it, i just hope he doesn't have to struggle on a bad team like sanders

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good for him with the money...however I feel bad for him that he is going to be in a place that does not seem to know how to get out of the hole it is in most of the time.

The numbers he puts up are just so impressive considering the team he is on.

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
i think he did more then earn it, he was the offense last year despite the offensive line injuries that the team got and the number he put up the only problem of the chargers is that they have no proven WR's and they are trying a new defensive scheme (3-4) but after/during the season they will change head coach and maybe the whole coaching staff.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Hey! What happened to wanting to get the hell out of SD and going to play for "MY Cowboys"? :confused:

I was getting my "TOMLINSON" jersey ordered and everything. ;)

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
Danny White said:
Hey! What happened to wanting to get the hell out of SD and going to play for "MY Cowboys"? :confused:

I was getting my "TOMLINSON" jersey ordered and everything. ;)

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v194/dmxinsd/shrug.gif

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Tomlinson agrees to rich deal with Chargers

CARSON, Calif. (AP) - LaDainian Tomlinson is about to become the highest-paid running back in the NFL.

Tomlinson said after Thursday's practice he has agreed in principle to a deal with the San Diego Chargers that will eclipse the eight-year, $50.5 million contract signed by the Commanders' Clinton Portis in the offseason.

Asked if his deal will be worth more than that given Portis, Tomlinson replied, "Absolutely. I don't think it will even be close."

Few players have matched Tomlinson's three years in the NFL, a span in which he's rushed for 4,564 yards and 37 touchdowns.

Tomlinson, the fifth player in NFL history to rush for more than 200 yards in four games, last year became the first to rush for 1,000 yards and catch 100 passes.

"Good for him," quarterback Drew Brees said of Tomlinson's deal. "It's awesome and he deserves it."

Tomlinson's contract will be an extension to the two years he has remaining. He's scheduled to earn $5.5 million this year and $6.5 in 2005.

When Tomlinson signs, he'll be tied to the Chargers through the 2011 season, which he likes.

"Because I want to be here to make the change," said Tomlinson, who's seen the Chargers go 17-31 since being the fifth overall pick in 2001. "I want to be here when people say what the organization used to be when they were down, and now these guys are up and they are winning.

"And I want to be a part of that group."

Tomlinson said he's never considered playing out his current deal or leaving the Chargers, a team that hasn't had a winning record or made the playoffs since 1995.

"In my opinion, that is what losers do," he said. "They bail out on a team. (They say) 'So this team is not winning, it's not going anywhere, I got to get out of here.'

"I've never been that way, so why change now?"

Coach Marty Schottenheimer hasn't changed his mind about Tomlinson.

"He's the best running back I've every seen," Schottenheimer said. "He's a terrific, terrific player, and all the superlatives about him as a player I think are exceeded by the fact that he is a greater person."

Chargers general manager A. J. Smith wouldn't confirm the Chargers agreed to terms with Tomlinson. Tom Condon, Tomlinson's agent, wasn't available for comment. But Tomlinson said it all.

"I didn't want to linger on into the season," he said. "I didn't want to be thinking about it. It's a relief and now I can just play football."

The contract is expected to be signed over the weekend.

Gotta respect him.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Yeah...I'll believe that the second he he isn't the highest paid rb...

baj1dallas

Reaction score
RW31 said:
Yeah...I'll believe that the second he he isn't the highest paid rb...

uhh he coulda been the highest paid RB on half the teams in the league.

i'm not sure i would have even considered staying in san diego.

do you really think that's the only team in the league that would pay him?

jacs

I'd Hit It
Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
uhh he coulda been the highest paid RB on half the teams in the league.

i'm not sure i would have even considered staying in san diego.

do you really think that's the only team in the league that would pay him?

"Because I want to be here to make the change," said Tomlinson, who's seen the Chargers go 17-31 since being the fifth overall pick in 2001. "I want to be here when people say what the organization used to be when they were down, and now these guys are up and they are winning.

"And I want to be a part of that group."

Tomlinson said he's never considered playing out his current deal or leaving the Chargers, a team that hasn't had a winning record or made the playoffs since 1995.

"In my opinion, that is what losers do," he said. "They bail out on a team. (They say) 'So this team is not winning, it's not going anywhere, I got to get out of here.'

"I've never been that way, so why change now?"

awesome, atleast when i watch Charger games there going to be something worth to be watching