Tony Dorsett's greatest run - according to Dorsett

fivetwos

Reaction score
What makes Tony Dorsett special is his ACCELERATION!
It has been 45 years since Dorsett was a rookie. I have yet to see another running back that can go from 0-60 mph faster than Dorsett.

This run against the Cardinals on Thanksgiving of 1983 was a great example of his acceleration. However, I believe his 1985 run against the Falcons was his greatest run. He took a side step after his handoff, planted his foot, and zinged right through the Atlanta defense like they weren't even there. It is just incredible.
You're right on that one.

He kicked it into the next gear like no one I've ever seen. Adrian Petersen maybe.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Ahh.... Reminiscing the years of golden players. Who played for the sport. Now it's all about who gets paid the most while the stinky ones get paid almost quadruple of the players from the past. Sad!

cowboyec

Reaction score
i remember that one.
prettiest 5yd TD you'll ever see.
Tony D was special.
:bow:DORSETT:bow:

mrmojo

Reaction score
Love those old Cowboy blue unis and numbering.....and TD

Ken

Reaction score
Quoted in this article
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/henry-can-only-match-dorsett-s-sweet-run#:~:text=The only other 99-yard,was almost exactly 99 yards.

*quote* For his part, Dorsett has always maintained that the epic gallop wasn't the best of his career, often citing a 5-yard run vs. St. Louis on Nov. 24, 1983.

"It was just a sweet run," Dorsett says. "And I made some people miss. I ran in for a touchdown, but it was like it was on this island … and it just looked like I was going to get crushed. But I made it. I don't know how I did it, but I made a move. I made this linebacker look pretty silly. And I ended up walking into the end zone untouched." *unquote*

Do we agree that this was Dorsett's greatest run?

In this game
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198311240dal.htm

One thing is for sure, he is the smoothest runner in the history of the league.

rags747

Reaction score
Smooth smooth runner with break your neck acceleration. We need another thoroughbred rb that can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Quoted in this article
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/henry-can-only-match-dorsett-s-sweet-run#:~:text=The only other 99-yard,was almost exactly 99 yards.

*quote* For his part, Dorsett has always maintained that the epic gallop wasn't the best of his career, often citing a 5-yard run vs. St. Louis on Nov. 24, 1983.

"It was just a sweet run," Dorsett says. "And I made some people miss. I ran in for a touchdown, but it was like it was on this island … and it just looked like I was going to get crushed. But I made it. I don't know how I did it, but I made a move. I made this linebacker look pretty silly. And I ended up walking into the end zone untouched." *unquote*

Do we agree that this was Dorsett's greatest run?

In this game
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198311240dal.htm

Don't really see anything special about this run.
Wonder if we have the right one?
He did have a short td run against the Cardinals that was pretty outstanding.
He started out wide, and totally reversed direction and scored.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I like Ezekiel Elliott more than many on here, but man, having a back who could cut away from contact and turn on the after-burners the way Dorsett could would be nice. I don't want to bad-mouth Elliott because I don't know if we've had a back who could take a clear lost-yardage play like he can and turn it into a positive gain by powering through tacklers (maybe Emmitt), but that ability to break ankles and burst away is just special. Pollard has some of it, but not to the degree of Dorsett, who also showed surprising power at times for his size.

cowboyec

Reaction score
tony d was tough as nails.
he wasn't just a pretty runner.
he had a level of physicality to his game also...especially as he got older.
excellent receiver also.
he was just pound for pound a damn great player.
and one of the 100 greatest to ever play the game...regardless of what anyone says.
:bow:TONY DORSETT:bow:

Plankton

Reaction score
In baseball, some pitchers are described as having "easy velocity", where they have an easy motion and a fastball that just explodes to the plate. Mariano Rivera was very much that kind of pitcher.

Similarly, Tony Dorsett had easy speed and acceleration. He could get to top speed in a blur, but make it look effortless. And, while looking effortless, he's leaving guys in the dust. Special, special talent and my all time favorite Cowboy player (and the reason why I became a fan of this team).

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
The OP's video showed a dominant Dallas defense with a very efficient offense AND a very good, near great, Danny White. White was excellent, smooth and accurate! Helluva punter too. Dallas was good in the early 80's and shoulda had a coupla more SB's.

pitt33

Reaction score
He must be talking about the run against the Cardinals where he went one way, then completely reversed field and went the other way and scored a touchdown. It was a short run but a great run. It may be on the video that was posted I didn’t watch it in its entirety. However I thought that run happened St. Louis.
You are correct.

The run Tony is referring to happened in his rookie year in ‘77.

pitt33

Reaction score
Tony Dorsett is my sports hero.

Him and Barry Sanders were the best 185lb running backs to ever don a uniform.

Tony’s greatest gift was his acceleration. I’ve yet to see a back match his. He was a joy to watch.