Twitter: Tony Pollard is looking like the gem of this year’s draft

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk here about whether Pollard’s camp performance has given Jerry the upper hand in negotiations with Zeke. None other than Gil Brandt seems to think so. Gil “can’t stop thinking about” how impressive he has looked.

Whether or not you believe that, there’s no doubt that the kid has looked great. I’ve posted some videos below, but the kid is blowing past the first line and breaking some tackles.

Everyone is comparing him to Alvin Kamara, but to me the better comparison is Brian Westbrook.

If the Cowboys hit on this one, I think it’ll surprise everyone. I mean, the kid only had 78 carries his senior year. No one projected him as a back who can run between the tackles. No one except McClay, I guess.

Check out how he ghosts LVE here:

So what does everyone honestly think? Is Pollard a legit 25 carry a game back? Could he be a 1200 yard rusher behind this offensive line?

I believe he can, but you tell me.

https://twitter.com/JohnOwning/status/1158181864521134080?s=20

Last edited by a moderator:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Steal of the draft" may be a bit excessive at this point. We have to understand that while I'm sure Brandt actually was impressed with what he saw of Pollard in TC, it's still not real games, plus, he is just talking about what he saw in the Cowboys TC., so it doesn't speak to Pollard in relation to the entire draft.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Yea let's pump the brakes. He has yet to play in a legit game. But clearly he has a skill set that could translate to this league.

But history is littered with guys who showed skills in shells and practices and never did much in games.

John813

Reaction score
At best he's like Kamara his rookie year, in terms of usage/snap counts, and not the same success in terms of yardage and TDs.

To expect Pollard to be a bellcow would be risky. It'll be a RBBC here as long as Zeke is out.

It's no surprise he can outmaneuver a 250+ lb on one on one coverage. It's a drill that heavily favors the offense as the LB has no support over top or anywhere.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would tap the brakes a little before buying into the “Tony Pollard is the greatest” hype. Don’t get me wrong, I like him and think he can really help this team.

But the hype the Jones cartel is throwing out there comparing this kid to a hall of famer, and acting like he can replace Zeke as the bell cow of the running game is simply exaggerated public hype used in the Zeke situation. Pollard was not even the main ball carrier for his college team Memphis. His value will be as a change of pace weapon, with perhaps 5-8 touches a game. He was not drafted to be a 15-20 carries a game back.

Again, I like Pollard, but I’m keeping the praise he’s been getting in perspective. He hasn’t played a down of meaningful NFL football yet. Maybe I’m just cynical of the Jones hype machine but I will believe what they’re saying when it happens in the regular season when the live bullets are flying.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Go check out the latest roster prediction on Bloggingtheboys. They only have 4 draft picks making the team. Now, there is a lot I don’t agree with but that would make it one of the worst draft of all time for any team. Neither DE, no Mike Jackson, and no Weber. I’ve seen all 4 called steals where they were taken.

As for Pollard, he does look like a very good player and a nice piece that could help elevate the offense but to me that will only happen if he is used in the role he was drafted for. I think he will be far less effective as a Zeke replacement than as a Zeke compliment.

Verdict

Reaction score
There is no reason why Pollard can’t be a feature back getting 25 “touches” per game, if used like Kamara. There have been a lot of backs smaller than him who have gone on to hall of game type of careers.

If you insist on running him straight ahead into a stacked box incessantly he’s probably not going to hold up long terms and very few backs could long term, probably including Zeke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk here about whether Pollard’s camp performance has given Jerry the upper hand in negotiations with Zeke. None other than Gil Brandt seems to think so. Gil “can’t stop thinking about” how impressive he has looked.

Whether or not you believe that, there’s no doubt that the kid has looked great. I’ve posted some videos below, but the kid is blowing past the first line and breaking some tackles.

Everyone is comparing him to Alvin Kamara, but to me the better comparison is Brian Westbrook.

If the Cowboys hit on this one, I think it’ll surprise everyone. I mean, the kid only had 78 carries his senior year. No one projected him as a back who can run between the tackles. No one except McClay, I guess.

Check out how he ghosts LVE here:

So what does everyone honestly think? Is Pollard a legit 25 carry a game back? Could he be a 1200 yard rusher behind this offensive line?

I believe he can, but you tell me.

https://twitter.com/JohnOwning/status/1158181864521134080?s=20

Right, because you have read and watched all the other teams right?

How about not ruining how much I like Pollard by going overboard? Let let the kid play in some regular season gams first. He had 4 carries for 16 yards. LOL

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I would tap the brakes a little before buying into the “Tony Pollard is the greatest” hype. Don’t get me wrong, I like him and think he can really help this team.

But the hype the Jones cartel is throwing out there comparing this kid to a hall of famer, and acting like he can replace Zeke as the bell cow of the running game is simply exaggerated public hype used in the Zeke situation. Pollard was not even the main ball carrier for his college team Memphis. His value will be as a change of pace weapon, with perhaps 5-8 touches a game. He was not drafted to be a 15-20 carries a game back.

Again, I like Pollard, but I’m keeping the praise he’s been getting in perspective. He hasn’t played a down of meaningful NFL football yet. Maybe I’m just cynical of the Jones hype machine but I will believe what they’re saying when it happens in the regular season when the live bullets are flying.

This is Gil Brandt hyping him...

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He averaged 4 yards a carry in his first nfl action. Lets pump the brakes.
Yeah and with nearly our whole starting line vs. the Niners backups. Still have high hopes for the kid, but...

Swervin, curvin Richards was hyped in camp too. I think he replaced Emmitt during his hold out in 93.