Twitter: Tony Pollard is looking like the gem of this year’s draft

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys will ruin him trying to turn him into Zeke.
I've seen nothing to determine they are trying to make him into Zeke. They actually split him out wide.

Go check out the latest roster prediction on Bloggingtheboys. They only have 4 draft picks making the team. Now, there is a lot I don’t agree with but that would make it one of the worst draft of all time for any team. Neither DE, no Mike Jackson, and no Weber. I’ve seen all 4 called steals where they were taken.

As for Pollard, he does look like a very good player and a nice piece that could help elevate the offense but to me that will only happen if he is used in the role he was drafted for. I think he will be far less effective as a Zeke replacement than as a Zeke compliment.
Wait what?If 4 draft picks make the team and get playing time that's actually a good draft lol. They didn't have a 1st rounder. That would not make it the worst draft of all time.
Jelks, Weber and Wilson were long shots to make this team anyway though it seems Wilso has a shot in a special teams role. They don't have both Jackson's making it...which seems odd.

stiletto

Reaction score
I am liking what I am seeing but would definitely like to see him play more before declaring victory here.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I've seen nothing to determine they are trying to make him into Zeke. They actually split him out wide.

Wait what?If 4 draft picks make the team and get playing time that's actually a good draft lol. They didn't have a 1st rounder. That would not make it the worst draft of all time.
Jelks, Weber and Wilson were long shots to make this team anyway though it seems Wilso has a shot in a special teams role. They don't have both Jackson's making it...which seems odd.
It's what they are saying. Jerry says he thinks Pollard can just take over and we won't lose a step. Look at some of those tweets. We don't need Zeke, we have Pollard. Pollard will be a nice addition to Zeke.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Emmitt 5'9" 210 pounds. Pollard 6'0" 209 pounds. What's stopping him from being our bell cow? Oh.....fear they make break their shinny new toy before they get some good use from him. Well we shouldn't let our fears hold this guy back. IMO. We can't be pumping the breaks if we want to win a Superbowl.

Let The Bodies Hit The Flo'.

cern

Reaction score
3 carries x 4 yards a carry=first down. i like chain movers. time of possession. when you can line him up on third and short with the same confidence as with zeke, he'll be worthy of the monicker of steal of the draft. until then, just enjoy watching him get better.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
IMHO, we need an exit strategy from Zeke. He's not in the Boys' long-term best interest. We need Pollard working with the first team as much as possible. He may not be the ultimate EZE replacement, but he might be a mid-term piece. I like the guy.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Cowboyszone wants to pigeon hole him into being a scat back / Lance Dunbar back. Don't do it. That's a Garrett thing to do.

Let his play dictate the type of back he is.

A Gil Brandt endorsement is a good one.

Do not tap the breaks. Now is not the time.

Totally agree. There’s plenty of little noticed running backs in college who became NFL starters. Priest Holmes jumps to mind, more recently Kenyan Drake at Alabama.

When Brandt heaps this kind of praise on a player, it’s worth listening.

I’m not saying Pollard is Zeke Elliott. But he looks like he could be a special player and they’re going to feed him and see if he can handle the load. I think he can.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Emmitt 5'9" 210 pounds. Pollard 6'0" 209 pounds. What's stopping him from being our bell cow? Oh.....fear they make break their shinny new toy before they get some good use from him. Well we shouldn't let our fears hold this guy back. IMO. We can't be pumping the breaks if we want to win a Superbowl.

Let The Bodies Hit The Flo'.

:hammer:

erod

Reaction score
Adrian Hamilton
Willie Blade
Rico Gathers
Ken-Yon Rambo

I think Pollard will be a useful player, but let's tap the brakes on training camp awesomeness.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboyszone wants to pigeon hole him into being a scat back / Lance Dunbar back. Don't do it. That's a Garrett thing to do.

Let his play dictate the type of back he is.

A Gil Brandt endorsement is a good one.

Do not tap the breaks. Now is not the time.

It would have been nice if Dallas hadn't tapped the brakes against San Fran and let us see more of him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How about the fact that he's never been a lead back before?

He was the third running back at Memphis. Only had 78 carries last year.

I don't think it matters. He had a guy in front of him who was a 3rd round pick of the Rams.

Odds are he will not be a carry the load back because Zeke will be here because he has no leverage anyways

I just don't want to tap the breaks on his momentum.

I remember when Demarco Murray was in college he was almost purely a finesse player. He would get taken out on short yardage and goal line situations. Then he comes into the league and he's one of the most physical backs in football.

You just never know how these guys will develop.

slick325

Reaction score
Dallas' staff needs to prove they even know how to use the kid's skill set before I get excited at all. For years we all were told how good Lance Dunbar was...they didn't know how to really use him though. Yes, he was injury prone but when on the field he was not really utilized.

Hope the same doesn't apply to Pollard. We shall see. Show me coaching staff...

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
How about the fact that he's never been a lead back before?

He was the third running back at Memphis. Only had 78 carries last year.
The staff had the same perceptions and fears about DeMarco Murray. So for his first three years they ran him like 15 times a game. I just don't want to see that happen to Pollard.

Swanny

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk here about whether Pollard’s camp performance has given Jerry the upper hand in negotiations with Zeke. None other than Gil Brandt seems to think so. Gil “can’t stop thinking about” how impressive he has looked.

Whether or not you believe that, there’s no doubt that the kid has looked great. I’ve posted some videos below, but the kid is blowing past the first line and breaking some tackles.

Everyone is comparing him to Alvin Kamara, but to me the better comparison is Brian Westbrook.

If the Cowboys hit on this one, I think it’ll surprise everyone. I mean, the kid only had 78 carries his senior year. No one projected him as a back who can run between the tackles. No one except McClay, I guess.

Check out how he ghosts LVE here:

So what does everyone honestly think? Is Pollard a legit 25 carry a game back? Could he be a 1200 yard rusher behind this offensive line?

I believe he can, but you tell me.

https://twitter.com/JohnOwning/status/1158181864521134080?s=20

No one knows. We can hope. We can complain. But there is no way to know.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I hope he pans out. I wouldn’t overload him if Zeke does sit out during the season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There has been a lot of talk here about whether Pollard’s camp performance has given Jerry the upper hand in negotiations with Zeke. None other than Gil Brandt seems to think so. Gil “can’t stop thinking about” how impressive he has looked.

Whether or not you believe that, there’s no doubt that the kid has looked great. I’ve posted some videos below, but the kid is blowing past the first line and breaking some tackles.

Everyone is comparing him to Alvin Kamara, but to me the better comparison is Brian Westbrook.

If the Cowboys hit on this one, I think it’ll surprise everyone. I mean, the kid only had 78 carries his senior year. No one projected him as a back who can run between the tackles. No one except McClay, I guess.

Check out how he ghosts LVE here:

So what does everyone honestly think? Is Pollard a legit 25 carry a game back? Could he be a 1200 yard rusher behind this offensive line?

I believe he can, but you tell me.

https://twitter.com/JohnOwning/status/1158181864521134080?s=20

I was a huge fan of Pollard before the Cowboys drafted him.

I was also a huge fan of his teammate Darrell Henderson (Rams, 3rd round, #70 overall).

I'll start with my point first and then provide the details.

My Point: Pollard could be the lead RB but would need a good 2nd RB long term to avoid getting over-used.

With regards to Pollard as a lead RB, I think the Kamara comparison is a good one.

Kamara was the Saints starter in 2018, but if the Saints use him like the Cowboys have used Zeke, he won't last long, IMO.

2018 Carries per Game
Zeke 20
Kamara 14 (In his 13 starts)

2018 Offensive Snaps per Game
Zeke 59
Kamara 45 (In his 13 starts)

Mark Ingram had 138 rush attempts as the Saints 2nd RB in 2018.

All of the Cowboys other RBs (Rod Smith, Olawale, Jackson) combined had 54 rush attempts.