Tony Pollard Might Surprise

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like Pollards patience and vision but i doubt he will be able to get the tough yards that Zeke gives us every game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like Pollards patience and vision but i doubt he will be able to get the tough yards that Zeke gives us every game.

Agree, but Pollard needs to play more like Kamara and Christian McCaffrey for us and not Zeke.

His patience that we saw straight away is really remarkable for a rookie and the acceleration he has is rare.

He will make a lot of big chunk plays in this offense if he gets touches.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get all the "well, he ain't done it before" concern but shouldn't everyone give him a chance rather than just assume he can't handle a bigger load? I mean people get put in roles everyday that they have never been in before.

Talent is talent. He has talent. Should we try to run him like Earl Campbell? Of course not. Should we let him show us what he can do? Absolutely.

I said it was a big unknown, not that it can't be done. I'm always willing to give something a chance before making a definitive judgement.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t disagree with any of that but I think we would look back on it differently if we had Romo for 16 games to help sustain drives.
@Dale

McFadden only started 10 games that season.

In games that he had over 10 carries, he only had a sub 3.0 rushing average once. Zeke had averaged 1.33 of those per year.

Agree that McFadden was more of an all or nothing type player, but ypc stats from games with low numbers of attempts does not mean much. He had 6 games with over 5.0 ypc if all games are included.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
@Dale

McFadden only started 10 games that season.

In games that he had over 10 carries, he only had a sub 3.0 rushing average once. Zeke had averaged 1.33 of those per year.

Agree that McFadden was more of an all or nothing type player, but ypc stats from games with low numbers of attempts does not mean much. He had 6 games with over 5.0 ypc if all games are included.

Also, I don't look at this from strictly a Dallas Cowboys perspective.

This a league wide trend for all teams. High volume will bring elite production at the RB position.

Teams will let you run it and hopefully stop the big chunk play and make you kick field goals and not score TD's.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Cowboy Run Game w/o Zeke
2014 - Murray led the league in rushing.
2015 - DMac had 4.6 ypc. 4th in the league in yardage with only 10 starts. Only 17 yards behind Gurley in 3rd. He could have conceivably beat out Peterson for #1 is he had gotten all the starts. Better ypc than Peterson.
2017 - Morris had a 4.8 ypc in 2017. Zeke had 4.1.

We've got plenty of evidence that other backs can run behind our oline. We've even got one of those who did.

Our oline is probably the best it's been since 2016. Could be better.

Jerry should sign some guy.

Mods go ahead and pin this to the top of the forum.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Agree, but Pollard needs to play more like Kamara and Christian McCaffrey for us and not Zeke.

His patience that we saw straight away is really remarkable for a rookie and the acceleration he has is rare.

He will make a lot of big chunk plays in this offense if he gets touches.

Thanks for linking this video.

It helps prove what I'm saying.

This guy has something.

quickccc

Reaction score
Let’s not hope to have to thrust the rookie into a game where he has to carry 20+ per game, hope we don’t try to make him an instant workhorse to where he has to take on that many
plays and toll with carries, catches and blitz- blocking

And not further exposing him to hitting a rookie wall that much quicker, which could lead to soft tissue injuries and thus forth.
I’m sorry but I’m not looking forward to what Alf brings in as relief. He’s a plodder that needs that much more help from the OL to make him more effective.
Even non-instinctive Rod Smith outplayed him in Alf’s final year here before he eventually departed in FA.
And that’s why I still laugh at the Cowboys publicly insisting how disappointing they were for him departing.

Frankly I’m looking forward to zeke and pollard only– anyone else is a complete afterthought.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Hell, the way this is all shaking out, I'm just hoping we have a running game worth a crap. Pollard is no Z.E. and we've all seen what Morris brings to the position...

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Let’s not hope to have to thrust the rookie into a game where he has to carry 20+ per game, hope we don’t try to make him an instant workhorse to where he has to take on that many
plays and toll with carries, catches and blitz- blocking

And not further exposing him to hitting a rookie wall that much quicker, which could lead to soft tissue injuries and thus forth.
I’m sorry but I’m not looking forward to what Alf brings in as relief. He’s a plodder that needs that much more help from the OL to make him more effective.
Even non-instinctive Rod Smith outplayed him in Alf’s final year here before he eventually departed in FA.
And that’s why I still laugh at the Cowboys publicly insisting how disappointing they were for him departing.

Frankly I’m looking forward to zeke and pollard only– anyone else is a complete afterthought.

For the record, I personally don't think it's a big deal if Pollard gets 16-20 carries a game.

I agree we lose something in terms of blocking.

But he also adds a dimension and gear you don't get with Zeke.

And I like him in the red zone. He's less predictable, and your offense is less predictable with him in the backfield.

Zeke is a great player, the best right now. But we can do this without him.

We have to.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
With Zeke coming back (it appears), I wonder if Tony Pollard now returns kicks?

Since he was the number one back in camp he didn't get any special teams chances this preseason. But Pollard tied the FBS record for kick return scores and could make a difference there as soon as Sunday.