Tony Romo’s 38 TD breakdown

Cmac

Reaction score
Romo was a gunslinger, and a good one at that. Injuries really slowed him down late in his career.

He was never a fast guy, but he had really good pocket awareness and could escape would be sacks pretty easily early in his career.

The big issue with Romo was the random turnovers out of nowhere, but boy could that guy slice open a defense.

Watching Romo play in his prime years, you didn't have to worry about suffering through a boring dink and dunk offense.
.......and let's not forget the untimely turnovers, and the most important time.......when game on the line. TRomo was Brett Favre without a ring.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak has no chance in hell to carry that offense. Dak threw 24 TDs in 2016. The offense was basically predicated on the QB read option and the thread of Zeke. It was essentially a gimmick offense like Football Team with RG3. It was completely dumbed down for Dak and less than half way into that first season with Dak, Linehan had run play action more with Dak than Romo ran all season. Dallas was third in play action in 2016 in attempts, while Dallas was 23rd in Romo’s last full season. Hell, they are last in Garrett’s last ‘official’ season calling plays here Ahs Giant Garrett continued than in NY, along with boasting the worst RB in the league inckuding last in rushing attempts.

1. Dallas was 31st in passing attempts in 2014 and 4th in TDs and 3rd in yards per attempt. The efficiency and threat Romo was with his passing arm was ridiculous. With a running game and Garrett out the way, Romo was elite period and the best in the business. He was firing TDs in relation to attempts at a ridiculous pace. This was a downfield attacking offense predicated on Romo’s elite passing skills.

2. Tony Romo in the regular season put up these numbers on 435 attempts and played 15 games. Dak Prescott in regular season three 596 attempts, meaning close to five extra FIVE games worth of passing for Dak and could only notch 37 TDs in the 17th game of the regular season, though he played 16 games and we all know he got it, third string guys with the Eagles playing into the fourth quarter. And in this soft era.

3. Romo was sacked 29 times to Dak’s 30 times on 160 LESS attempts. So Dak-stand have a comical way of telling us their QB is always under pressure, when his passing attempts per sack ratio doesn’t even come close to how much Romo was getting pressured

4. Romo threw for 79% in sub-zero temperature in Lambeau in the playoffs and didn’t throw INTs that whole playoffs. He had 4 TDs and brought the team back against the Lions, though he got sacjed6 tines. The OL gave up 6 sacks those playoffs.

5. 2016 and 2017 was the most idiotic move in franchise history by the clown show FO to start Dak. Zeke was still a home run hitter by then, meaning with Romo, the sky could have been the limit in that short SB window. The stats had finally aligned for Romo and this FO stabbed him in the back.
:clap::hammer:

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
The following article breaks down Tony Romo’s 38 TD breakdown in 2014-2015, with GIFs for 9 of them, which include a bird’s eye view of him moving in the pocket. It’s actually an incredibly good article for those interested.

The play 6 breakdown on the second page, which includes the pump to the WR which he pulls back and continues with his progressions, while maneuvering the pocket and throwing that dime, is crazy, though plenty of them are. That’s elite QB play.

BelatedBelatedEagle-size_restricted.gif

EnragedCanineIsopod-size_restricted.gif

http://nflbreakdowns.com/2015/07/tony-romos-38-touchdowns-2014/
Hands down one of the best posters on here. I for one look forward to your posts and appreciate them very much. Romo was the last Cowboy I ever had an emotional attachment to. Told myself after Allen and Woodson left I wouldn't become attached to anymore players, but I did with Tony.. Never thought he got the respect he deserved.

But his teams never won so I also understand why so many didn't like him. I would love to have seen him on some of the 90's teams, although I'm not sure he could have taken all the dirty hits Aikman took. I believe it was over 40 stitches over his career in his chin ( see cheap shot artist Wilbur Marshall) But I think he wins at least the same amount of Super Bowls as Troy did.

Not here to argue with anyone over my humble opinion. I just personally think on a purely skill level he is right behind Roger on the Cowboy's all time greats.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Dak had that much time we would still be playing..
That was a great line.
Even though this year’s was ranked #1, imo, it wasn't as good as 2014 (Romo), maybe 2017 (Dak), 2016 (Dak), 2018, (Dak), 2019 (Dak)

The point is that no QB in Cowboy history has as many good togreat lis as Dak….on average.
Daks never playedwith a truly awful Olibe except for maybe a game here or there.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
What about having 7 seconds of a clean pocket to throw the ball is crazy? Lol!

it’s called pocket awareness! I’m no expert but sometimes people really forget how hard it is to block these guys. Romo once said to his linemen
“ I don’t even care if someone gets through the line. Just don’t hold, because I can beat one guy. Just don’t hold”
He MADE plays.
Burrow plays a lot like Romo. I think that is a compliment to both of them. Put a white jersey on Burrow with a blue number 9 and you’d think it was Romo. Thanks for posting this. People forget how fun Romo was to watch. Especially his first few seasons as a starter.

I too loves burrows pocket awareness I even made a post about it last week! I wonder if we both enjoyed the exact same play wherein he demonstrated his natural quarterbacking ability.

Joe burrow is a quarterback.
Dak Prescott is playing quarterback.

TheHerd

Reaction score
There isn't a chance in hell Dak stays in there that long. He doesn't know how to move in the pocket. He's stiff and flat footed. He would have probably wandered into a lineman or tried to blindly spin back oit of the pocket right into where a defender wants him resulting in a 10 yard sack.
Dak does need to work on this part of his game, if that's even possible. He has no awareness how to move around in the pocket to stay alive. I'm not sure it's something I've seen a QB get better at though - it seems like they either have it or they don't. Brady is the goat at this. Hate to say Rodgers is great at it as well.

Dak just more often than not moves into pressure or just bails when there's really no reason. At least in his first few years he bailed with authority and grabbed a few yards on the scramble.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That was a great line.
Even though this year’s was ranked #1, imo, it wasn't as good as 2014 (Romo), maybe 2017 (Dak), 2016 (Dak), 2018, (Dak), 2019 (Dak)

The point is that no QB in Cowboy history has as many good togreat lis as Dak….on average.
Daks never playedwith a truly awful Olibe except for maybe a game here or there.
And he had a hard time against teams that got pressure with 4. This line as a unit couldn’t get it done. Thats part of the reason we are at home. We were 1 play short. That play with Wilson throwing the lateral and Pollard I guess didn’t see it was 6. And Wilson lost one in the lights that was a set up for points. Dak threw some terrible throws and Moore never called a off tackle or toss run play. They never feared a run game..

buddahjoe445

Reaction score
You Romosexuals are the absolute worst. A joke.

What's funny is this poster picks 2 gifs showing and proving how Romo had a much better line that gave him 7+ seconds to stay in the pocket, follow through his progressions and find the WR who eventually got open late. Yet, at the same time, he's in every thread saying that Dak sucks even though Dak's Oline struggles to give him more than 2.5 seconds.

Most bias, untruthful and with the biggest agenda posters around.
Romosexuals versus Daksuckers?

visionary

Reaction score
You can find these highlights for any good QB
Romo was good but not elite
He wasn’t disciplined enough bough to be elite that’s why he’s 1-3 in the playoffs
Too many head scratchers

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Hands down one of the best posters on here. I for one look forward to your posts and appreciate them very much. Romo was the last Cowboy I ever had an emotional attachment to. Told myself after Allen and Woodson left I wouldn't become attached to anymore players, but I did with Tony.. Never thought he got the respect he deserved.

But his teams never won so I also understand why so many didn't like him. I would love to have seen him on some of the 90's teams, although I'm not sure he could have taken all the dirty hits Aikman took. I believe it was over 40 stitches over his career in his chin ( see cheap shot artist Wilbur Marshall) But I think he wins at least the same amount of Super Bowls as Troy did.

Not here to argue with anyone over my humble opinion. I just personally think on a purely skill level he is right behind Roger on the Cowboy's all time greats.
Khiladi is my real life brother. Although I’m not anti-Dak like him, it’s obvious to anyone who knows anything about football that Romo is the superior QB — smarter, more accurate, better pocket presence, sounder mechanics, quicker release, etc. — held back more by the organization, personnel, coaching, and teams around him than vice versa. This idea that he made more “boneheaded” mistakes than other very good to great QBs is a total myth. Negativity amplified by the anti-Cowboys elements in the media, a large proportion of which corresponding to anti-Cowboys elements in the NFL fan base. I also do not get the Romo hate, because as a player, he was everything that signified meritocracy, hard work, improvement, and dedication to the game. He was only a “loser” to those who couldn’t accomplish even a tenth of what he did.

Last edited:

buddahjoe445

Reaction score
When I watched Romo play I would get mad/happy and yell at the tv until the end. They always had a chance until the end. Now, I know whats going to happen so I dont yell anymore.

Here is how every important game goes....Dak struggles for 3 quarters and then does something when defenses goes prevent. Makes the score look close and stats look good, but watching the games was not exciting.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I rooted for Romo when he was playing more than anyone, he had some great moments.

But the constant attention he still gets from some posters is mind blowing. :huh:

At the end of of his career, Dallas played in no championship games, with two playoffs wins.

He has contributed to this 25 year championship drought.

Yoshimitsu

Lurch
Reaction score
Romo didn't always have a good line. He got the snot knocked out of him many times and you dam well know it.
Man this is such a bull crap take. If you are old enough to remember Romo took alot of sacks because he held the ball so long. Do people forget Romos Houdini acts in the pocket to buy time. It caught up with him. Romo fans love to blame everything on everyone else. He didn't win squat here and people fawn over him because of his regular season stats.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Personally, JJ would be smart to hire ROMO as the next HC of this rudderless mess. This dude is FOOTBALL SMART..................................

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man this is such a bull crap take. If you are old enough to remember Romo took alot of sacks because he held the ball so long. Do people forget Romos Houdini acts in the pocket to buy time. It caught up with him. Romo fans love to blame everything on everyone else. He didn't win squat here and people fawn over him because of his regular season stats.
Barkin up the wrong tree fella. Not sure why you are so miserable about it. Making up lies in your head about it is a bad place to be
. Sorry get well!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's so funny about our fans is that we had the same ******* arguments about Romo that we do about Dak.

Romo would put up 300yds two tds, but miss some easy plays or toss an INT, and the board would debate his quality for 4 straight days. It really doesn't matter. Soon as a guy gets a big contract, we turn Judas on him

The whole mythology of Romo has been constructed in retrospect
The difference....is we demanded Tony win the game...often with the likes of Sam Hurd. He did a lot....and other times not.

We rarely demand that of dak....

Are you sure the results are exactly alike?.

When was the last time you saw dak escape the lines of watt and throw 40 yard td?

That's what I thought.

cowboyec

Reaction score
loved romo and rooted like hell for him.
we still came up short in big games.
love #4 and root like hell for him.
we still come up short in big games.
gotta be better.

as for #9....many times he was THE reason we were in contention.
he's this generations don meredith.
a great player who doesn't get the credit he should because of playoff results.
but he was the reason we were there in the first place.
helluva good player.
helluva good qb.
loved #9.
love him still.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, JJ would be smart to hire ROMO as the next HC of this rudderless mess. This dude is FOOTBALL SMART..................................
Romo does not want the job. Kinda hard to hire someone who would turn you down.