Tony Romo a Top 40 QB of all-time as ranked by relative ANY/A

Mookie

Reaction score
http://www.footballperspective.com/checkdowns-judging-qbs-by-their-top-5-seasons/

by Chase Stuart on March 19, 2014.

A fantastic read, a statistically backed argument on the greatest 100 quarterbacks of all-time.

The hate Tony Romo gets is criminal, almost ignorant. It is time for the world to acknowledge that he is a fantastic football player who hasn't been successful in the playoffs yet, because football is a team sport. Romo deserves better.

We are lucky to have him and I will say this, Romo is the best player in the team, it is time to build and direct our attention towards the remaining 52.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
I agree.

I have a hard time saying he's the best player on the team, but I have a hard time saying that about anyone due to differing skillsets required.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
The QB position has changed quite a bit over the course of history, so you really can't judge statistics.

That said, I'd probably have an extremely difficult time thinking of 40 QBs with a better career than Romo with respect to their era.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really think it would be all that hard to come up with 50 QBs who have had better careers, to this point, then Romo but it's subjective I suppose.

This is all about stats and unfortunately, QB is not just about stats. More then anything, it's about winning to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Romo is a good QB. Great when you consider he was a UDFA. Cowboys "fans" who hate on Romo either don't remember the post-Aikman teams are are ignorant. I'm not looking forward to finding the next franchise QB.

I don't believe this is true. People are entitled to their own opinions and because they may not agree with the "Romo above all" line of thought, does not mean that they are ignorant or simply don't remember anything before Aikman. That's just inaccurate.

dstovall5

Reaction score
The QB position has changed quite a bit over the course of history, so you really can't judge statistics.

That said, I'd probably have an extremely difficult time thinking of 40 QBs with a better career than Romo with respect to their era.

If you look at the best QBs since 2000ish(Romo's Era), I'd be willing to bet Romo makes the top 20, or at least he's right there on the bubble. He's a great QB who has really been unlucky with what he has had around him, defensively. You got guys like Roethlisberger who have had top 5-10 defenses their entire career and because of this it has cemented them into the HOF. Not saying Roethlisberger isn't a great QB(he is), but you can't tell me he'd still be hailed as the same QB if he had to play with a top 20 defense every year. Maybe that's my bias talking though.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Love the OP. And I've been waiting anxiously for the new release of 'The Continuing Saga of Tony Romo'.***in theatres soon***

dstovall5

Reaction score
I don't really think it would be all that hard to come up with 50 QBs who have had better careers, to this point, then Romo but it's subjective I suppose.

This is all about stats and unfortunately, QB is not just about stats. More then anything, it's about winning to me.

Winning definitely cures all, but the defenses we've had in the Romo era has just been downright silly. Think Aikman wins with the defenses Romo has recently had? I think not. QB does have the most impact on the outcome more then any other player, but there's still 45 other players that have an impact on the game, which greatly outweighs the impact a QB can make.

Mookie

Reaction score

Perhaps, and you are entitled to your opinion. You have the right to believe whatever it is that you want to believe. You can believe quarterbacks are solely responsible for wins and losses, you can choose to believe that pitchers in baseball should only be judged by wins and losses and not by stats, because as we know, wins and losses are entirely controlled by pitchers/quarterbacks, etc.

Baseball for the longest time was blinded and naive to this very thought; "Yes, he had a great season and was statistically dominant, he however didn't win 20 games." Until they realized that there are teammates around a pitcher, and a pitcher isn't in control of the runs scored by his own team, just as quarterbacks aren't controlling how many points the other team score against his own team.

Maybe football will look beyond this stupid reasoning soon, because Tony Romo is a top QB of all-time and a hall of famer. A Super Bowl would be the nicest bonus and most beautiful reward for his career and for us fans that have always stood by him, but not having a ring, will not change my opinion on Romo. He is an absolute monster!

itsaboat

Reaction score
I don't believe this is true. People are entitled to their own opinions and because they may not agree with the "Romo above all" line of thought, does not mean that they are ignorant or simply don't remember anything before Aikman. That's just inaccurate.

Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but you can't tell me Romo isn't better than:

Bledsoe,Testaverde, Henson, Carter, Hutchinson, Wright, Leaf, Stoerner

Those were some hard times. The people that lived through those teams know how lucky we were to find Romo.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
He's not even top 40 QB in the NFL!!!!!!!!!#!!##!!!!!!!!#$/$^! $#!!!!&$&@&&!!!!!!!

The Natural

Reaction score
Top 40 QB of all time, is this really a story? We not talking top 3, top 5, top 10..We making headlines for being top 40?