Tony Romo says it’s “a coin flip” that Ezekiel Elliott plays for Cowboys Week 1 | CBS Sports HQ

uvaballa

Reaction score
In his 3 games against the skins and giants last year Zeke averaged about 77yards and had 2 TDs. They went 2-1 in those games. This team should be able to beat the skins and giants without Zeke.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I would love to know how not having the best running back in the league on your team is a "good problem to have". What? So other the G-Men won't be able to game plan the Boys. LMAO! Does Jerry think it's a good problem to have because we were fortunate how things turned out when Emmitt sat out the first two games? C'mon wake up and smell the astro turf. We are not a team that can win games unless all of our best players are on the field.
You are too much of a Zeke fan to make an unbiased decision on this matter. Zeke being the "best RB in the league" is a matter of opinion. This current team not being able to win without Zeke is a matter of opinion. You are apparently unable to see the argument against giving Zeke a new contract this season. I appreciate your passion for Zeke but I don't consider you a person making a levelheaded decision in this matter.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Yes, but that doesn’t support the narrative that the FO is staffed by morons! You know, Jerry and Steven and JG don’t know football like the internet realists!

The realist would tell you they actually hired a competent personnel guy in Will McClay and are doing a great job of listening to him but have stuck with Jason Garrett for too long and thus are wasting the talent they have accumulated through the draft. I would add that if they would hire a head coach as competent as McClay is at his job, much bigger and better things would be happening in Dallas.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Romo just doesn't want to put a definitive yes or no on the record. He's wise to pass on this question, saying it's a coin flip.

ESisback

Reaction score
The realist would tell you they actually hired a competent personnel guy in Will McClay and are doing a great job of listening to him but have stuck with Jason Garrett for too long and thus are wasting the talent they have accumulated through the draft. I would add that if they would hire a head coach as competent as McClay is at his job, much bigger and better things would be happening in Dallas.

Since realists like yourself know so much more about football than Jerry, Stephen and JG, why not apply for the job? Fame and fortune awaits, AND you’ll be saving the team you claim to love!

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Since realists like yourself know so much more about football than Jerry, Stephen and JG, why not apply for the job? Fame and fortune awaits, AND you’ll be saving the team you claim to love!

Apply for which job? Garrett’s? No thanks, I’m not a football coach. By the way, it doesn’t take a football coach to know when a team is not well coached, is running antiquated schemes, and has poor situational awareness and playcalling. That just takes a basic understanding of the game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apply for which job? Garrett’s? No thanks, I’m not a football coach. By the way, it doesn’t take a football coach to know when a team is not well coached, is running antiquated schemes, and has poor situational awareness and playcalling. That just takes a basic understanding of the game.
Well hell, I don't have that and I still think Garrett sucks. I think he smiles like a girl.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Too many future contracts coming up to give in to a player with 2 more years left (sends a bad message to the other agents). It's gonna take either him getting desperate or the cowboys playing like crap for him to play

An *extension* for more years early shouldn't be a problem. It's the renegotiation of the existing years that's a problem.

Reaction score
If he don’t show then I think because he is doing this holdout and not out there with his teammates 2 years early in this contract. 1 year left on his 4 year deal. I think there may be locker room problems amongst some of the players. These guys in the NFL honor there rookie contracts, as far as I know there has never been another player do this so soon. He is in the wrong even though he is out performing his deal.

The NFL is watching what JJ is doing here. It could set a bad trend if he caves and pays him. His snake of a agent couldn’t have kept it in house.
I'm sure several owners have called Jerry to tell him not to cave.

This would set a terrible precedent. Holdouts this early will happen every year throughtout the league if Elliott gets his way.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Not true its the giants and ONE GAME..Zeke proved over 3 years he can be #1 3 downs BLOCK Catch etc the most carries in the league vs one game..get out of here..Zeke solidified himself as top 3 back and arguably #1 period no rookie with one good game is making anyone sweat..do it say 4 games in row and then against great defense and then it might start making Zeke uncomfortable..

this guy showed me nothing against the #2/3 defense of the first PS, NOTHING...al lot of hope being hung on these young guys with np proof they can play against a STARTING DEFENSE IN A REAL GAME.. stay tuned 4 for 16 aginst a practice squad team and no tackilng practices..yup HOF babay!!:lmao2:

I by no means am anointing a rookie. I'm merely stating that if Pollard, with committee proves to do well, and provide wins, it will only hurt Zeke in staying a Cowboy at the price he desires. I'm not one for internet hyperbole. Zeke is a great ball player.

ESisback

Reaction score

Most of us have a basic understanding of the game, and I certainly understand the frustrations of longtime fans. I also agree that there have been many times when we all wondered what their thought process was. It’s human nature to question things, especially when an iconic franchise like ours falls flat for such a sustained period of time.

Despite that, I try not to let the second guessing consume me for several reasons:
1)It’s just a game, not life or death. It’s meant to be fun.
2)Highly motivated, handsomely compensated professionals immersed in it for a living over a long period of time are generally more qualified than Internet armchair QB’s.
3)While most of us agree that Garrett has had difficulty with clock management schemes, particularly with making adjustments, there is still evidence that most of the locker room is still his, which says something about any individual who has to circumvent Jerry. I also think a handful of plays of a coincidental nature have kept us from at least a couple of potentialy successful moments.

Tussinman

Reaction score
An *extension* for more years early shouldn't be a problem. It's the renegotiation of the existing years that's a problem.
Agreed. Extension would be okay but trying to renegotiate the 4th year salary when most of the top 5 contract was paid as a cash advance is a huge d-bag move that the cowboys should never agree too, especially since that top 5 contract is still top 5 for his position even 3 later

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agreed. Extension would be okay but trying to renegotiate the 4th year salary when most of the top 5 contract was paid as a cash advance is a huge d-bag move that the cowboys should never agree too, especially since that top 5 contract is still top 5 for his position even 3 later

That's what makes Zeke's hold out iffier. Most rookies are underpaid. He's paid at the top end. 8mil compensation for this year. Is that really underpaid relative to free market value, *relative to rookie contracts generally*?

Not so much.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I just wondering what the offer to him is. SJ said it starts with gurly money, that’s 14.2 a year.
Wow if that is the lowest, which evidently was not enough for feed me boy, then I would let him sit.
And draft a coulple more guys next season, and 1 in 2nd round, maybe even 1st.

The reasons are:
1. way cheaper, another rookie contract for 4 years, or 3 years if another elliot type lol.
2. no off field issues !!
3. younger , not overweight , in shape, and maybe will condition all year instead of partying like EE
4. not such a big ego and spoiled and entitled as feed me boy.
5.cowboys save 10-15 mil a year so can add better players at other positions making the team stronger.

If they sign EE at what he wants, the team HAS TO GET WEAKER !

DandyDon52

Reaction score
That's what makes Zeke's hold out iffier. Most rookies are underpaid. He's paid at the top end. 8mil compensation for this year. Is that really underpaid relative to free market value, *relative to rookie contracts generally*?

Not so much.
He had a great rookie contract, now maybe he blew the money lol and he lost some due to the suspension.
But it isnt as much about money as it is his ego, and his dad, and how spoiled and entitled he is.
That is why he gets in trouble, he is spoiled and entitled , a child in a mans body.

The smart move is to let elliot go, trade him , and draft another RB without all his issues. and at same time save millions for other players,
and get a draft pick for EE.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I'm seeing history repeat itself here...…………..Zeke holds out two games, team goes 0-2, Zeke gets brand new contract.

I wonder when something like that happened before, oh yeah, some dude wearing number 22 did it.