Tony Romo top-5 stats

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
I had a feeling that after Monday night's game, Brees would no longer be ranked in the top-5 and I was right, which moved Romo from 5th to 4th in the QB rankings.

Romo is in the top-5 (of qualified QBs) in several key stats (the number is his rank):

Average yards per attempt - 3
Average yards per game - 4
TDs - 2t (tied with Rivers)
TD% - 3
1st down % - 4t (tied with Rivers)
Fewest sacks - 3
Passer Rating - 4

He is 10th in completion %

We are also 4-1 with a 2-point loss to a division rival.

Any criticism of Romo should be taken in context of comparing him with his peers, not with some mythical perfectionist standard.

Tony Romo is far and away the best QB we have had in here since Troy retired and I for one and VERY glad to have him.

:starspin :starspin :starspin

roughneck266

Reaction score
Nice post, Thunmper. Too see the posts I have been reading for the last couple weeks you would think Chad Hutchison had crapt back into the locker room.
I think we have a great QB.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
roughneck266;2318128 said:
Nice post, Thunmper. Too see the posts I have been reading for the last couple weeks you would think Chad Hutchison had crapt back into the locker room.
I think we have a great QB.

Thanks Roughneck. I think people focus too much on his INTs and fumbles and not enough on all the great stuff he is doing. Yes, he needs to improve in those areas but the fact is that we are winning games and he is one of the main reasons for that.

To have a QB that we have confidence in is a wonderful thing! :fogeys:

alby

Reaction score
Although I love Tony, he has given the other teams a total of 36 points due to his turnovers. That comes out to be a little more than a touchdown a game. As long as OUR own defense is creating havoc and causing turnovers, I'm okay with that--but so far, I think both sides need to do a better job.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
alby;2318144 said:
Although I love Tony, is has given the other teams a total of 36 points due to his turnovers. That comes out to be a little more than a touchdown a game. As long as OUR own defense is creating havoc and causing turnovers, I'm okay with that--but so far, I think both sides need to do a better job.

I am more disappointed in our defense's inability to create turnovers than I am in Romo's mistakes at this point. Actually, the defense has done a decent job of creating the opportunity for turnovers but has failed to capitalize on them by dropping a number of easy INTs. Between Henry and Adam Jones alone we probably missed out on 5 INTs so far this year.

The one that Jones dropped last week led to a TD for the Bengals. He could have ended the game with that pick and it was right in his hands. Not picking on Jones so much as all the other DBs have dropped some as well but that one was so easy and could have been a game-changer.

That is what is lacking on this defense though, game-changing plays. We have had a few but not as many as the talent level would indicate we could expect.

The funny thing about Romo's turnovers this year are that most have occurred when we had a lead. In previous years, he threw INTs when he was pressing to score in a comeback but that's not been the case this season.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Not that this has anything to do with this....
But...
We have scored the most points in the NFL.
If you look at the NFC east as a whole - 4 team against any other division in the NFL.
The East has scored more points and given up fewer points than any other division.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
All 3 sacks came in the Packers game.

That's eye popping that 4/5 games 0 sacks.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
THUMPER;2318123 said:
Tony Romo is far and away the best QB we have had in here since Troy retired and I for one and VERY glad to have him.
I don't believe I've read where any substantial number of fans want rid of Romo, or aren't happy that he's our QB.

It wouldn't take much to be the best QB since Aikman left. Until Romo, a washed-up Drew Bledsoe or a toked-up Quincy Carter held that distinction.

Romo is a fantastic talent. Few dispute that. But this is a game where the team that makes the fewest mistakes come postseason usually wins. Romo's making way too many mistakes. Look at his divisional rivals: Campbell, no picks, no fumbles; Manning, 1 pick, 1 fumble. Tony? 5 picks, 3 fumbles.

We simply can't have that sort of play and expect to win in January.

superpunk

Reaction score
Good thread - people focus too much on the negative, not enough on the fantasticness. Me? Give me more fantasticality.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Just to pile on one more important number...

He has completed 26 passes for first down in 48 third down attempts, making him the only QB in the league who's converted on more than half of his 3rd down passes. 54% of his attempts on 3rd down have resulted in first downs.

The remarkable thing about that 54% is that Romo has been in more 3rd-and-long situations than just about any other QB. He's had 25 attempts on 3rd and 8 or more, which is the most in the NFL.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
THUMPER;2318123 said:
I had a feeling that after Monday night's game, Brees would no longer be ranked in the top-5 and I was right, which moved Romo from 5th to 4th in the QB rankings.

Romo is in the top-5 (of qualified QBs) in several key stats (the number is his rank):

TD% - 3
Fewest sacks - 3
Passer Rating - 4

Any criticism of Romo should be taken in context of comparing him with his peers, not with some mythical perfectionist standard.

Excellent post.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
percyhoward;2318522 said:

He has completed 26 passes for first down in 48 third down attempts, making him the only QB in the league who's converted on more than half of his 3rd down passes. 54% of his attempts on 3rd down have resulted in first downs.

The remarkable thing about that 54% is that Romo has been in more 3rd-and-long situations than just about any other QB. He's had 25 attempts on 3rd and 8 or more, which is the most in the NFL.

People don't appreciate just how good Romo is in a crunch, he is outstanding on 3rd downs and is frequently in 3rd and long situations yet converts them at an amazing rate.

Great avatar BTW.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
THUMPER;2318123 said:

TD% - 3
Fewest sacks - 3
Passer Rating - 4

I know Brees has a lot of his offense hurt this year and is making what he can out of it. But he has more INT's than Romo and less TD's with only about 200 yards more passing. Their completion % is almost the same and so is their QB rating with Romo nudging Brees there. My point is, ESPN and all the other onlne media outlets have been singing gospels about Brees, yes they should, but they have been nitpicking Romo who is just as valiant if not more stat wise and record wise. It doesn't make sense. People are not seeing this. Even Rivers, who is having a great season has no better stats than Romo but he's getting credit.

Romo's season last year was near MVP worthy for not Brady,people didn't recognize that last year and he's on pace to have a very similar season. If he has these type of stats every year than we are talking about a hall of fame career. The guy puts up alot of offense and I don't even think he is playing his best ball right now. Very freakish QB stats. Let them say what they want, they're pissed he cut them off this summer and that he sets them straight on their reporting ethics. Boy do they line up to interview him though when he wants to talk to them.

AKATheRake

Reaction score

Fantastic point. Being in less of those 3rd and long situations surely would diminish some of the 5 INT's he's had. 11 TD's to 5 INT's are exceptional numbers after 5 games.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score

Great post, but no surprise. In fact it's just business as usual for Romo. He has demonstrated this ability from his first game action against NYG in 2006.

He just makes playes. He gets the ball past the sticks on 3rd and long more often than any QB I've seen.

In my 30 years following this team, I've never felt this confident on 3rd and 8 to 3rd and 13. I expect him to convert.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
We look at Troy Aikman as one of, if not THE, most accurate QB ever to play the game yet if you compare his stats with Romo's he falls far short in most of them.

TR: Comp% 64.7, Avg yds per attempt 8.3, TD% 6.48, INT% 3.63, Passer rating 97.1.

TA: Comp% 61.5, Avg yds per attempt 7.0, TD% 3.5, INT% 3.0, Passer rating 81.6.

Aikman is less than one point ahead of Romo in INT% but Romo is three full points ahead of Troy in TD%. In short, Aikman threw nearly as many INTs as TDs (165-141) but Romo is almost 2-1 in TDs to INTs (66-37)! He is also more and a yard per attempt ahead of Aikman and 3 points ahead in completion%. I threw the Passer Rating in just to show the comparison but 16 points is a HUGE difference!

Don't get me wrong, Aikman is one of my all-time favorite Cowboys, so I'm not saying this to put him down but to put into perspective what Romo has done so far in his career. When we win a couple of SBs with Tony at the helm then he can be compared with Aikman overall but statistically, he is far ahead of Troy at this point and if we took just their first 59 games (what Romo has played so far) it would be even worse as Troy really struggled early in his career!

The bottom line is that Tony Romo is one of the elite QBs in the league right now.:starspin

jdnelson103

Reaction score
THUMPER;2320705 said:
We look at Troy Aikman as one of, if not THE, most accurate QB ever to play the game yet if you compare his stats with Romo's he falls far short in most of them.

TR: Comp% 64.7, Avg yds per attempt 8.3, TD% 6.48, INT% 3.63, Passer rating 97.1.

TA: Comp% 61.5, Avg yds per attempt 7.0, TD% 3.5, INT% 3.0, Passer rating 81.6.

Aikman is less than one point ahead of Romo in INT% but Romo is three full points ahead of Troy in TD%. In short, Aikman threw nearly as many INTs as TDs (165-141) but Romo is almost 2-1 in TDs to INTs (66-37)! He is also more and a yard per attempt ahead of Aikman and 3 points ahead in completion%. I threw the Passer Rating in just to show the comparison but 16 points is a HUGE difference!

Don't get me wrong, Aikman is one of my all-time favorite Cowboys, so I'm not saying this to put him down but to put into perspective what Romo has done so far in his career. When we win a couple of SBs with Tony at the helm then he can be compared with Aikman overall but statistically, he is far ahead of Troy at this point and if we took just their first 59 games (what Romo has played so far) it would be even worse as Troy really struggled early in his career!

The bottom line is that Tony Romo is one of the elite QBs in the league right now.:starspin
Awesome comparison. Maybe people shouldn't dog Romo as much considering what we could have. Curious to see those same stats on Aikman, but limited to only postseason. Going off of memory, he always seemed like a completely different player in the playoffs. Like top 5 to ever play the game.