Too early to grade the offseason

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry would be graded much more favorable with his mediocre results on his homework because of his extra effort which created a new building for the school, increased revenue for school district , air condition and new recess area. Lol

Diehardblues

Reaction score
July wil still be to early fans don’t get it and never will. Let the season play out and then judge. It’s never a loss until it is. Seasons are headed in wins and losses not off season paper champions. If it were truly a money Game and you can win by buying championships Jerry would do it every year. There’s a cap there is systems and checks and balances. Let the football people deal with it and let the fans root for their teams good or bad.
Come kick off that’s what we’ll do for 60 minutes each week.

But for the rest of the year this is what we do. Critic every aspect.

I can’t imagine how quiet it would be around here if we were all just cheerleaders.

On the old official Dallas Cowboys forum we tried a Silver Lining forum. It was a ghost town and eventually closed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Being negative is also not goodbye period the know it alls who do nothing but complain have zero knowledge on teams front office and will never be happy pre judging seasons from off season moves. It’s insane. How about save it for at least the final 53 comes out. Day one free agent critics just show ignorance and impatient obviously bored fans.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’m truly surprised . An F.
That’s a Super Bowl or Bust mentality.

In reality it’s more of a C the last 23 years. A model of mediocrity.

Or you’re saying back in the day all of those great years with the Cowboys were total failures except for the years we won a championship. I can’t believe you really feel that way.
Semantics.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Semantics.
I’d define an F as never making the playoffs. All losing seasons.

The definition I was calling out was defining the last 23 years as a failure “F” so what other conclusion could I come to for meaning but Super Bowl or Bust mentality?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Certainly is, the off season can't be graded until the real season is well underway and there's more evidence as to how the players that changed teams are faring. I recall a bunch of hand wringing over the Dream Team and buying a ring.

At the end of this season, take a hard look at the teams that made news with FA's and check and see how well their team improved and how much those players contributed. There are some that really shine but not as many as you'd think with the money being thrown around.

There's 8 seasons. Off season, early FA season, mid FA season, draft season, late FA season, pre season, regular season and the post season. I'd say they haven't been stellar in the early FA season but then that won't show up until the 7th season.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d define an F as never making the playoffs. All losing seasons.

The definition I was calling out was defining the last 23 years as a failure “F” so what other conclusion could I come to for meaning but Super Bowl or Bust mentality?
I was talking about his words. I don't believe he meant it quite that literally.

It's like a course in college. One can make high grades on some tests and still get an F for the class.

If you take all of the seasons and look at them as a whole, an F doesn't seem out of the question.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I have certainly made abundantly clear my dislike for Jerry and his boy as FO leaders. But to be fair, it’s still way too early to declare this offseason a failure. We still have several big FA Cowboys players to possibly nail down, and the draft is over a month away.

Despite my disdain for GM Jerry, I’m not ready to declare this offseason a failure yet. We need to wait at least a couple of months IMO. I seem to remember this reaction last year too when Dallas did not overpay for a bunch of big names- some who worked and many who didn’t.

In fact, I would list these areas of work still to be done to use as a grading tool before season starts:
1. Settle the Tank Lawrence situation. Either pay the man or trade him for something of value. I’m in favor of paying him- I think he’s earned it.

2. Upgrade the DL and S position in FA or the draft. That still remains to be seen if or how this may be addressed. Keep in mind the Cowboys have NEVER shown a desire to pay big $ for Safeties or DTs. Look at the history.

3. Decide if Dak is your QB. If he is, get a deal done now. The market will NOT be cheaper next year. Also regarding QBs, decide if Mike White or Cooper Rush are legit backups or not.

4. Address the slot receiver position. I’m glad the team didn’t overpay Cole Beasley, but the team still needs a viable slot weapon. There are still a few FA options and certainly draft options.

5. Fill some key backup holes on the OL, LB and other.
Look I don’t trust Jerry and his FO. We have zero reason to. But to be fair, the evidence for this year’s offseason is not complete.

Of course it's too early. We're not even a week into FA.

This forum is out of control.

Jipper

Reaction score
No doubt, in a week or two we'll sort through the ashes and after everyone has picked through them and we'll sign a couple of spares nobody else wanted and call it a day.

You do realize there are plenty of football players that will get signed post the first round of fas that can and will make this a better team right? The way so,e of you are acting is that only fas signed in week 1 can help...

blueblood70

Reaction score
You do realize there are plenty of football players that will get signed post the first round of fas that can and will make this a better team right? The way so,e of you are acting is that only fas signed in week 1 can help...
:hammer:

GenoT

Reaction score
I have certainly made abundantly clear my dislike for Jerry and his boy as FO leaders. But to be fair, it’s still way too early to declare this offseason a failure. We still have several big FA Cowboys players to possibly nail down, and the draft is over a month away.

Despite my disdain for GM Jerry, I’m not ready to declare this offseason a failure yet. We need to wait at least a couple of months IMO. I seem to remember this reaction last year too when Dallas did not overpay for a bunch of big names- some who worked and many who didn’t.

In fact, I would list these areas of work still to be done to use as a grading tool before season starts:
1. Settle the Tank Lawrence situation. Either pay the man or trade him for something of value. I’m in favor of paying him- I think he’s earned it.

2. Upgrade the DL and S position in FA or the draft. That still remains to be seen if or how this may be addressed. Keep in mind the Cowboys have NEVER shown a desire to pay big $ for Safeties or DTs. Look at the history.

3. Decide if Dak is your QB. If he is, get a deal done now. The market will NOT be cheaper next year. Also regarding QBs, decide if Mike White or Cooper Rush are legit backups or not.

4. Address the slot receiver position. I’m glad the team didn’t overpay Cole Beasley, but the team still needs a viable slot weapon. There are still a few FA options and certainly draft options.

Look I don’t trust Jerry and his FO. We have zero reason to. But to be fair, the evidence for this year’s offseason is not complete.
Too early, Bob?

Heck, we should already be wrapping up either a Super Bowl win or 2-14 debacle by now.

:thumbup:

Beaker42

Reaction score

F so far, maybe even a G for guaranteeing our suck FB $3 mil for doing zilch on O.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Despite my disdain for GM Jerry, I’m not ready to declare this offseason a failure yet.

Ok, then I will. This offseason is a failure.

Jerry's still the GM, Stephen's still his top personnel assistant, Garrett's still the weak head coach and they again didn't improve the team in free agency.

It's been status quo yet again for the Cowboys and that certainly has proven to be a failure.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Totally agree Bob and it's all doable. Activity will pick up for the Cowboys next week and they can address all of this. For Cowboy fans FA is about patience, but it fun to get in on the bashing even if you know the play.

That is the problem bro........we wait for FA to settle down and then we rush in and sign the rejects nobody else wanted to cheap deals.

Virtually everybody we have signed like this over the past several seasons has ended up sucking. Names like Nolan Carrol, Stephen Pea, ect.....

So why is this offseason going to be any different? We once again, just like usual, sat on our hands during the opening wave of free agency and will now wait to pick and choose from the rejects. Just like we have been doing every past offseason and failing at it.

You know what they say about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Of course it's too early. We're not even a week into FA.

This forum is out of control.

It doesn't take too dam long to figure out Heath at safety is a big f.ing problem.

Kinda like it didnt take too long to figure out our WR core was trash after we cut Dez last season. But you homers along with Jerry and his idiot boy all said the WR by committee approach would be great.

After a 3-5 start, mainly do to a trash WR core, the team had to pony up first rounder to fix the problem. The same problem all of us "complainers and whinners" saw coming a mile away once Dez was released.

LIke I said, it doesn't take too dam long to look at the roster and see who the scrubs are that need replacing.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

1) I think you're right about Lawrence. Get it done ASAP. I think. Negotiations are complicated. But waiting means that other teams shoot their wad, which isn't good for Lawrence or Jerry. I'd rather not get to the point of a Mexican gunfight where Lawrence signs the franchise offer but stretches out the injury as long as possible.

2) We were looking to trade a 2 and put a big but not big enough contract on Thomas. That's spending on a S. Hamlin. Roy. Three big spends, two of which didn't work out, and the last one we thankfully avoided. We don't seem good at big S spends. The lower budget ones with Church and Heath have worked out well.

3) I don't think we have enough info to say Dak is our QB. Accuracy is still up in the air. Literally. I don't want them plunking down 100mil and hoping for the best. I've been pushing a 1 year extension at a franchise prices, pushing half the money to this year. Dak holds out on his current contract. Comes back in time to accrue a league year. Gotta give him something to avoid that.

4) Whoever goes in the slot, money says that Hurns is our third. You can't pay a guy that much to be our fourth, and we're not sitting Gallup. If Hurns comes in, maybe put Cooper in the slot so he can cut in both directions. Either way, we've got our third. Witten and Cooper can play Y Option all day. I don't see an appreciable chunk of change being spent at WR. Maybe a slot/gimmick WR, but I think they'll try for that on the cheap with Devin Smith and Reggie Davis. Maybe Austin. He really was productive per target/touch.

5) On the bright side, for a change there are almost no holes to fill. The only one I can think of is backup RB. (Darius. Darius! DARIUS!) Well, and if not him, maybe they like Chunn. Maybe a draft pick. I'd like to upgrade, but they've never seemed that intent on it. DE is an issue, but I wouldn't say there is a hole until we know about Lawrence. Crawford's flex really helps. Taco gives you some flex too. And the noise about Gregory has gone from "he's done" to "we don't know what's going to happen with him". The worry is DE. We have Crawford, Taco, Armstrong. All our picks. Maybe Taco will finally shine if he's told - "you're the next man up, show us your stuff". Seemed to work for Bennett. Back at DE, maybe Lawrence. Then maybe maybe Gregory. If we move from Lawrence, we've got a big stack of money to solve our problmes at DE in free agency. We'll get a couple of rushmen, and we'll be good to go. All the moaning over safety is about *upgrading*, not filling a hole. Oline is crazy deep.

Noclaf

Reaction score
How any one can defend anything these idiots do is beyond me, 22+ years of nothing and you will defend the Jones until you die, insanity

DanA

Reaction score
The final grade isn't set but we've got some cramming to do cause it's looking like a fail.

Noclaf

Reaction score
Grade last of season, it was so bad they had to trade their first round pick just to save the season