Too many holes on OL and Defense to pay Dak

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
but the cap is the cap and the contracts are meant to be manipulated to create cap room......unless you are the patriots with bilicheck every team goes through it and at some point have to dump and rebuild.

martin, cooper, smith lawrence, collins can be redone to create enough cap space...

but sounds like you are more concerned about cap space than winning, since there is no alternative to Dak.....people clamoured for Dalton, some predicting he would beat out Dalton in camp...yet, we just saw the results most of us knew already.

and as I said, the problem is all of those large contracts....none of them is paying off.

its not about contracts or cap space. its about signing the right players....we are not good at that...even if we had 180M in cap space left. jones would screw it up

NO NO NO we need to do what every winning team does and cut our top QB because we cant figure out how to build a team with a good QB in the Cap era we have been in for 25 years......again there is not one GM in football that keeps his job letting a top 5 QB walk because he "couldnt figure out the cap" this is so ridiculous...your right most GM's wouldve been fired over some of these dumb cap moves...Zeke being the first...nothing to do with the actual player but at that position you don't do what they did 2 years before you have to...and J smith is just....well again ost GM's wouldnt have lived through some of this crap.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I see get rid of Prescott and get some cheap QB so when the OL is finally rebuilt and the defense is finally fixed they have a QB that can't get the job done and people like you then will be saying why did the Cowboys get rid of Prescott. So the search for that QB that can do what Prescott does will go on and the Cowboys will go through their array of QB's like they did when they experimented with Carter, Hutchinson, Leaf and Testaverde until they found Romo but by then the line was getting old and not very good, the defense was getting old. So what happened was they got rid of the QB that could have helped covered some of the flaws on the team until help arrived, but they instead suffered through QB's that kept them at 4-12 or 5-11 team.

They'll be saying that especially if Dak goes elsewhere and had more success with a better coaching staff. It will be sort of like the Romo situation, Romo got relentlessly bashed and didn't get appreciated by some fans until he was gone.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
NO NO NO we need to do what every winning team does and cut our top QB because we cant figure out how to build a team with a good QB in the Cap era we have been in for 25 years......again there is not one GM in football that keeps his job letting a top 5 QB walk because he "couldnt figure out the cap" this is so ridiculous...your right most GM's wouldve been fired over some of these dumb cap moves...Zeke being the first...nothing to do with the actual player but at that position you don't do what they did 2 years before you have to...and J smith is just....well again ost GM's wouldnt have lived through some of this crap.
so who is your QB? without a QB you can't win. and this misnomer about cap era and cap space by QB....as the cap goes up, the percentage of the cap goes down....

the other way you can win is to have bilicheck.....you think he may come here?

like I said, Lawrence, Zeke, Jaylon...three big contracts which we get nothing.

followed by Smith and collins....on IR and we get nothing.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
so who is your QB? without a QB you can't win. and this misnomer about cap era and cap space by QB....as the cap goes up, the percentage of the cap goes down....

the other way you can win is to have bilicheck.....you think he may come here?

like I said, Lawrence, Zeke, Jaylon...three big contracts which we get nothing.

followed by Smith and collins....on IR and we get nothing.

I agree thats what i was saying, i dont get the "lets draft a QB' its literally the only position (martin at gaurd also) that you have a bonafide stud at. Wr's look good also...we need to draft Defense so bad right now.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We simply have too many holes to pay Dak 35+ mill a year. We need to rebuild our OL and Defense. We might as well rebuild at the QB position as well.
Wrong!

You use the draft to make fixes on our Oline and Defense. Cut a few overpaid veterans. Plenty room to resign Dak at $35 mil/year.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
But again do you see wining teams letting go of a top QB? I wish Fans would stop saying, "you can't pay your QB...." the other wining teams pay thier QB and build a team...that is what an FO is suppose to do...32 Fo's number one goal is to find a QB some have others are looking. would you not agree letting go a top QB would get most FO's fired?

So, so wrong...no.1 goal is to produce a SB winning team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Wrong!

You use the draft to make fixes on our Oline and Defense. Cut a few overpaid veterans. Plenty room to resign Dak at $35 mil/year.

Could you be a bit more specific on the details:

1) Dak's contract.
2) Which overpaid veterans you get rid of and when.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
A top 5 OT pick should be a starter day 1

Our 2nd pick may be able to grab the top 1-3 guard

make one effective FA signing on Oline for once and you can turn this offense around in no time

the defense is another story

Spoken like a true Cowboys fan.;)

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If you think Dak is the same player as back then, and hasn’t improved. Then you obviously have no clue what you’re looking at. Dak has improved significantly since then.

But he still doesnt have that winning mentality, that ability to win games with the game ending drive.

I like him but he's not Mahomes and he needs players - remember why we traded for Coops.

dckid

Reaction score
We simply have too many holes to pay Dak 35+ mill a year. We need to rebuild our OL and Defense. We might as well rebuild at the QB position as well.
100% agree. Don’t waste your money or Daks career

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
smh? it wasn't about the financial structure...it was about a 4 year, vs. 5 year deal. the money per year was even more on the 5 year deal....but dak wanted a 4 year deal.

jones' wanted him longer.....basically targetting the year when the cap is expected to go up by 20%.....most players want to be FAs going into that year......given the extra cap space, gives them opportunity to make more....

unless they handed him a 10 year 500M contract ala mahomes....

And why do you think we wanted 5 years? Have a think about it, think hard, maybe check our CAP FOR THE NEXT THREE YEARS..

Check out Jones MO its always been to give long contracts and restructure .....why is everyone surprised.

Ramsey, Wood, Humphrey and Cook have all signed contracts through 2025.

It is just too difficult for us to pay him and build a decent team if he insist on a three year contract.

There are posters on here who appear to really love Dak (me, I like him) but agree that we cant accommodate his 3 year demands and he'll need to take longer.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
but the cap is the cap and the contracts are meant to be manipulated to create cap room......unless you are the patriots with bilicheck every team goes through it and at some point have to dump and rebuild.

martin, cooper, smith lawrence, collins can be redone to create enough cap space...

but sounds like you are more concerned about cap space than winning, since there is no alternative to Dak.....people clamoured for Dalton, some predicting he would beat out Dalton in camp...yet, we just saw the results most of us knew already.

and as I said, the problem is all of those large contracts....none of them is paying off.

its not about contracts or cap space. its about signing the right players....we are not good at that...even if we had 180M in cap space left. jones would screw it up

That Cap is ala paying Romo top 5 salary 2 years after he retired.

So those players you want to restructure are either health concerns or arent worth the contracts they are on now, paying them for longer just makes the problem worse.

I agree they arent paying off, but there's not much we can do about them....you say restructure, I say bite the bullet for a couple of years and trade whilst extending their replacements (Pollard / Gallup).

If you want to accuse me of anything its that I prefer to improve the defense and O-LINE depth over the next two/3 years and see where we are.

I like Dak, but at the moment we arent going to compete with or without him so dont spend $40m per on him for the next 3 years.

conner01

Reaction score
What holes in the oline other than injured players who will be back next year

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I agree thats what i was saying, i dont get the "lets draft a QB' its literally the only position (martin at gaurd also) that you have a bonafide stud at. Wr's look good also...we need to draft Defense so bad right now.
yes, but I don't have faith in this FO in drafting defense. jaylon smith, taco, hill, to some extent even LVE (had college history of injuries), sean lee, etc....lawrence....did ok one year and that's about it. and has a history of injuries. we just don't know how to draft defense and I think it start with Jones. he likes flash, so the whole organization is focused on flash.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can’t trade Cooper because of his contact - who is going trade for him with the salary cap going down next year. Gallup has a cheap contract, if we can get a young player comparable to Gallup on the Defensive side of the ball, I’m all for it.
How do you know the Is going down. They didn’t say that. If anything TV revenue will be going up