Top 10 offensive lines

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nope.

If you need to use ANOTHER first round pick on an OG the problem isn’t the players, it’s the coaching and other factors.

If you draft Hernandez at 19 that gives you 5 first round talents along the OL. Is that necessary? And what if that doesn’t work? What’s the next step? Only use Top Ten picks on OL?
100% correct,

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Need a swing tackle, a left guard and a new OL coach
One thing people seem to forget, our draft position over the last five or so years has not been conducive to getting an impact player at position of "need". Looks like that may be the case again where OL is the BPA. Better than reaching for a need.

DiResta

Reaction score
unfortunately this year there arent many starting guards after the 1st 2 rounds if you are looking for a day 1 starter
if Dallas doesnt take the guy at 19 they likely wont be there
there are 1 techs later though
i think you must look at the division first
winning the division guarantees a chance
this past season OBJ a top 3 wr wasnt playing but this season he goes back to being a big problem
thats why i think to win the east games you have to have elite safety play
the wr and te talent in the east is ridiculous
plus now you have Alex Smith in Washington
Eagles have Jenkins, Giants have Collins, Skins might grab a guy like Derwin James
these safeties transform a secondary

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
to pick up lesser talent, the obsession with OL in round 1 for this draft is driving me up the wall

I agree however if guard is BPA at 19 because all the DT’s, LB’s, And S are gone, it’s a no brainer.. Its all about value in each round and what’s left on your board, maybe we trade down..

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm not taking a 2nd or 3rd tier player at a position of need over an elite offensive lineman.
Wynn, Hernandez and Price are going to studs in this league.

blindzebra

Reaction score
You white knight Dak as soon as you see him criticized. I don't see people blaming everything on Dak. What I do see are people like you that act like Dak can do no wrong.

And that post you just quoted refuted the notion that it is all on Dak. I argued the point you claim I ignored.
Again, the attitude toward anyone defending him...I rest my case. And it is complete BS to say that there are none blaming everything on Dak. There are idiots that have gone as far as to say a TD pass he threw to Witten was a bad pass for crying out loud.

cowboyec

Reaction score
because we need 1st round talent elsewhere
if Derwin James,Roquon Smith,TreMaine Edmunds,Vita Vea,Maurice Hurst,Calvin Ridley are off the board at 19......who is the pick,most likely?
I'll believe it'll be a 1Tech when I see it.
Id rather at this point take...and pay...someone who will stay on the field and not be stuck in a rotation.
In this scenario....with our def guys off the board...take Wynn,Hernandez or Price.
OLine is up-graded....Rds 2-7....we target our other needs.You have a better chance to get a solid DT up and down the board than you do an OG...this class is better at the top than at the bottom.

Hardline

Reaction score
Keep in mind that I'm not dead set on an offensive lineman at 19.
My view is if the blue chip defensive players are off the board take the offensive lineman.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
You dont need a top Oline to win ... Notice neither team in SuperBowl is on that list. A good QB , backfield and coaching can make up for a bad oline . Cowboys got lucky last year with so many changes which by the end of year DCs started to catch up too . Cowboys have talent but its not enough to always hide the defiances of the coaching. This year was perfect example when they refused to give help to Green .

Sydla

Reaction score
My quote was based on the offensive lineman being the BPA and all the blue chip defensive players off the board. I even said that in another post.

Trade down then.

Taking an OG not named Nelson at 19 is preposterous given the Cowboys situation.

Sydla

Reaction score
the defense is more than 1 player away.
draft a OG at 19....address defensive needs next.
I'll believe they draft a nose tackle at 19 when I see it.....Derwin James,TreMaine Edmunds,Roquon Smith are likly off the board at 19.....which means its likely the best player available is a OG.
There are alot of DT busts in Rd 1 as well.
My original point still stands... the OL is the one position group that is 1 player away from being elite.
We have SEVERAL needs on defense....we are more than one player away on that side of the ball....and Ive NEVER said use ALL 10 picks on offense.

The fact we are several away on defense is even more an argument for not going OG at 19.

The OL should be elite right now. It’s insane that you are trying to argue that the Cowboys are one LG away from being an elite OL.

They should be an elite OL right now and should be able to find a competent LG in FA or in the middle rounds like other teams do as opposed to blowing another top pick on an OL.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not taking a 2nd or 3rd tier player at a position of need over an elite offensive lineman.
Wynn, Hernandez and Price are going to studs in this league.

None of the three are elite.

Nelson is elite. Now if you can magically get him to slide to 19, then yeah, take the OG.

Sydla

Reaction score
Wynn and Hernandez are worthy of the 19th pick.

IMO he is not and in terms of value, the Cowboys are not getting it taking Hernandez at 19.

You might be able to argue Wynn, because at least Wynn might be able to play OT in a pinch.

I want no part of Hernandez at 19.

Hardline

Reaction score
IMO he is not and in terms of value, the Cowboys are not getting it taking Hernandez at 19.

You might be able to argue Wynn, because at least Wynn might be able to play OT in a pinch.

I want no part of Hernandez at 19.
Hernandez is a mauler and starts day 1.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
All in all, I think we did upgrade going from Pollack to Alexander.

cowboyec

Reaction score
The fact we are several away on defense is even more an argument for not going OG at 19.

The OL should be elite right now. It’s insane that you are trying to argue that the Cowboys are one LG away from being an elite OL.

They should be an elite OL right now and should be able to find a competent LG in FA or in the middle rounds like other teams do as opposed to blowing another top pick on an OL.
Jonathan Cooper is a f/a and is coming off his 2nd knee injury of his career.
If the highest rated player on the board is a OG...why are you so obtuse about taking a OG?
Do you trust this front office to sign a veteran f/a OG thats not a Byron Bell equivolent ???
I dont...their track record is better finding them in the draft....if its at 19 or later Im fine with it.
The talent at OG is better at the top...if you are gonna get one...do it early.