Top 17 prospects, who could be on the board

Cowboyny

Reaction score
QB (3)
Burrow, Tua, Herbert (Love is a possibility)
WR (3)
Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs
OL (4)
Willis Jr, Wirfs, Becton, Thomas
DT (2)
Brown, Kinlaw
DE (2)
Young, Chaisson (Epenesa)
LB (1)
Simmons
CB (2)
Okuda, Henderson

(17) Total
4 in bold, 1 of which is most likely to be there at 17

fivetwos

Reaction score
Baun, Murray and McKinney ought to be there.

Each would help the defense.

We are RIGHT on the cusp of a drop in talent level.

Need a couple of surprises for this to work out as hoped.

RS12

Reaction score
4 QBs an 4 OTs will go before 17 IMO. Henderson most likely again IMO.

NolanRyan77

Reaction score
QB (3)
WR (3)
Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs
OL (4)
DT (2)
Brown, Kinlaw
DE (2)
LB (1)
Simmons
CB (2)
Okuda, Henderson

(17) Total

All 4 tackles and QBs should be gone by 17 just because of positional value.

I have a growing feeling that Henderson will be gone at 9, if not 9 then 16 to the falcons with both not having anything at all at CB.

I believe Ruggs will be gone either to the raiders at 12 or the Broncos at 15.

I think there is a decent chance that Kinlaw or Brown makes it and a good possibility Chaisson makes it.

Croomraider

Reaction score
I'll take Ruggs all day if he somehow gets to us! That man would be an instant game-changer!

Eitherway, I think we're gonna get someone good. Too bad we didn't lose to the skins cause we would be drafting super early!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
QB (3)
WR (3)
Lamb, Jeudy, Ruggs
OL (4)
DT (2)
Brown, Kinlaw
DE (2)
LB (1)
Simmons
CB (2)
Okuda, Henderson

(17) Total
Epenasa has fallen alot after the combine. He is probably closer to a 2nd pick now.

I think we will have one to the top 2 DT's (not sure which one) Ruggs, and Henderson. Chaisson I think could go ahead our pick considering its a weak draft and a vital position.

I do think there is a possibility Lamb is there. I could see someone ahead of us taking Ruggs over Lamb because of his speed. Not likely, but possible

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All 4 tackles and QBs should be gone by 17 just because of positional value.

I have a growing feeling that Henderson will be gone at 9, if not 9 then 16 to the falcons with both not having anything at all at CB.

I believe Ruggs will be gone either to the raiders at 12 or the Broncos at 15.

I think there is a decent chance that Kinlaw or Brown makes it and a good possibility Chaisson makes it.
Good takes

morasp

Reaction score
I like drafting value so for our draft position that would be 1-16. There are a lot of differences between different player rankings but I like NFL.com and they stack them this way:
1.) Young 7.37
2.) Okudah 7.15
3.) Brown 7.11
4.) Simmons 7.08
5.) Burrows 7.07
6.) Chaisson 6.88
7.) Wills 6.85
8.) Tagovailoa 6.82
9.) Lamb 6.81
10.) Jeudy 6.8
11.) Swift 6.78
12.) Henderson 6.74
13.) Becton 6.74
14.) Queen 6.71
15.) Ruggs 6.7
16.) Kinlaw 6.7

17.) Gross-Matos 6.5
18.) Baun 6.5
19.) Shenault 6.5

According to the draft grades all of the first 16 players would be quality year one starters and Young would be a perennial all pro. The bolded players would be need and BPA, I don't know how they feel about Smith's back and LVE's neck so Queen and the OTs may be in consideration as well. If one of these guys isn't there we could possibly trade back a little and add another day two pick to help find a quality player at one of our many positions of need.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Baun, Murray and McKinney ought to be there.

Each would help the defense.

We are RIGHT on the cusp of a drop in talent level.

Need a couple of surprises for this to work out as hoped.
I don't think either are within the top 17, probably more top 25 prospects

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Epenasa has fallen alot after the combine. He is probably closer to a 2nd pick now.

I think we will have one to the top 2 DT's (not sure which one) Ruggs, and Henderson. Chaisson I think could go ahead our pick considering its a weak draft and a vital position.

I do think there is a possibility Lamb is there. I could see someone ahead of us taking Ruggs over Lamb because of his speed. Not likely, but possible

I based my players on a few mock drafts sites that I trust. Of coarse, there could be surprises, as many draft sites are from media scouts, not the actual ones. It appears the Cowboys should have a good player land to them or a nice attractive trade down target.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score

No way Henderson makes it to 17. Zero.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't think either are within the top 17, probably more top 25 prospects
They need to take whichever of them ends up actually being a player.

At least half the guys who wont be around at 16 will bust, and theres guys in the later rounds that will be top ten picks on the "redo" in three years.

Hence the surprises in each draft. Teams dont sweat a few spots when they think they see a player, nor should they.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
They need to take whichever of them ends up actually being a player.

At least half the guys who wont be around at 16 will bust, and theres guys in the later rounds that will be top ten picks on the "redo" in three years.

Hence the surprises in each draft. Teams dont sweat a few spots when they think they see a player, nor should they.
It will be all based on their own draft board. Teams will have different grades, different needs and schemes.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It will be all based on their own draft board. Teams will have different grades, different needs and schemes.
Of course, and I understand how much it sucks to take a player perceived to have been available later (Frederick as an example in our case)...but the original point is I'd rather have a player at a position it doesnt look like we need help at (that changes quickly), than a bust at a spot we need.

I realize theres no way to know that, but the best way to avoid it is to not draft for immediate need.

Croomraider

Reaction score
Jeudy / Lamb / Ruggs III / Okudah / Henderson / McKinney

One of these guys will fall to 17. Take whoever is there.

RS12

Reaction score
Looks like Las Vegas will be taking a DT at 12 based on what I am reading. Not good for us. I dont see either of the bid two being there for us now. And please no responses about the aging stop gaps we signed or the light going on for Hill.

JBS

Reaction score
I like drafting value so for our draft position that would be 1-16. There are a lot of differences between different player rankings but I like NFL.com and they stack them this way:
1.) Young 7.37
2.) Okudah 7.15
3.) Brown 7.11
4.) Simmons 7.08
5.) Burrows 7.07
6.) Chaisson 6.88
7.) Wills 6.85
8.) Tagovailoa 6.82
9.) Lamb 6.81
10.) Jeudy 6.8
11.) Swift 6.78
12.) Henderson 6.74
13.) Becton 6.74
14.) Queen 6.71
15.) Ruggs 6.7
16.) Kinlaw 6.7

17.) Gross-Matos 6.5
18.) Baun 6.5
19.) Shenault 6.5

According to the draft grades all of the first 16 players would be quality year one starters and Young would be a perennial all pro. The bolded players would be need and BPA, I don't know how they feel about Smith's back and LVE's neck so Queen and the OTs may be in consideration as well. If one of these guys isn't there we could possibly trade back a little and add another day two pick to help find a quality player at one of our many positions of need.

This is a great post.

There will be some surprise picks in the top 16...I feel like at least one of those players will be available at 17..I'm not confident Dallas will take that player, but I think one of them will be available...

If I had to guess..I'd say, Chaisson and Henderson will be gone..Kinlaw or 1 of the top 3 WRs will be available...again, in this scenario, I'm not confident Dallas will do the right thing and take the bpa...but I certainly hope so