Top 5 Free agent DTs and Safeties

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I have a gut feeling that Ashawn Robinson would be very good in the new defense, especially plugging the run. Draft Javon Kinlaw to play next to him and things are looking really good in the middle. Resign Collins as a rotational pass rusher to go along with Woods as backups and things are looking up.

I'll sign off on this proposal.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
McCoy and Suh are towards the end of their careers. McCoy could only get a 1 year prove it contract and it doesn't sound like the panthers are going to try to resign him. If he came here the Cowboys would be the 3rd different team in 3 years. Suh the same thing except the Cowboys would be the 4th team in 4 years. Good players don't wander around like that. Teams lock up good players for longer than for 1 year prove it contracts.

Pass on both.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Resign Woods, add Andrew Billings. This would solidify the 1t.
Draft Kinlaw, Brown, or Raekwon Davis for the 3t

Get Tre Boston or HaHa and then draft a S in the top 2 rounds and let them battle it out.
X, Wilson, and one of the two or both above would all be good safeties even if the draft pick busted.

Position issue resolved, imo

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Or trade the 1st and 4th round picks to get Adams from the jets

then grab your DT In the 2nd if you can’t find a DT that upgrades you without making you pay really stupid money

Not Adams. His rookie contract is up. Everything I've read states he wants to be the highest paid S.

Instead of the salary slots for the 1st and 4th, you have the cap hit for Adams (highest salary 2019 14.1 million Kevin Byard Tennessee).

Really don't believe Dallas is willing to pay that salary, especially with a new coach/ assistants.

ultron

Reaction score
Not Adams. His rookie contract is up. Everything I've read states he wants to be the highest paid S.

Instead of the salary slots for the 1st and 4th, you have the cap hit for Adams (highest salary 2019 14.1 million Kevin Byard Tennessee).

Really don't believe Dallas is willing to pay that salary, especially with a new coach/ assistants.

I asked this like 4 times in the game day thread last week, where was Kevin Byard last week vs. the Patriots? I didn't hear his name called at all & I didn't see him on the field.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I remember Billings when he was drafted....how has he performed thus far?
I've reviewed some of his game footage.

He is very strong. Not a wow type player but a solid run defender.

I would rate him somewhere between A.Woods (Cowboys) and M.Brown (Saints).

Brown signed last off-season for 5M per with the Saints.
Why is Tre Boston a free agent every year lol? Him and Zack Brown it feels like.

I"ve wondered about that myself.

Boston
I reviewed some Boston a couple of years ago. He prefers to avoid tackles. He has decent tackle stats but most of those are just the "easy" type routine tackles. If a big RB is coming his way, he will wait for help.

He had had good INT numbers some years but has also allowed some big plays by going for the INT when he had no help behind him.

Brown
I've seen Brown play well in some games but I've also seen (and posted video of) Cowboys WR Noah Brown win when blocking him. I mean straight up physically over-power him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's no secret that the Cowboys could use a major upgrade at these two positions in particular.

This list is according to: https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

Defensive Tackles:
1.) DJ Reader (27)
2.) Javon Hargrave (27)
3.) Gerald McCoy (32)
4.) Ndamukong Suh (33)
5.) Andrew Billings (24)

Safeties:
1.) Justin Simmons (26)
2.) Anthony Harris (28)
3.) Devin McCourty (33)
4.) Ha Ha Clinton Dix (27)
5.) Tre Boston (28)

Why isn't Jeff Heath in the top 5 there? Some guy just said he's getting paid 8 million per year next season.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas doesnt have to money to sign high priced free agents. Going to have to be pretty cheap.

reddyuta

Reaction score
FO cant sit on their hands in FA like they did with Garrett,it would be a bad look with a new coach.

lwehlers

Reaction score
I think we only need one starting safety. maybe with better coaching woods can still be a good player. he has shown signs of being a good safety then he takes a step back. he is still young enough to improve. I would love chris jones but I just do not see the chiefs letting him walk next season.