Top 5 Free agent DTs and Safeties

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really like Phillips.

But we will see how this team approaches FA. will we be shopping for Covington’s and Hyders or going after Jones and Phillips

I think given the urgency (that led to hiring a vet NFL head coach). The changes in coaches and philosophy, and the number of free agents and holes on defense, I'm expecting to see some spending this year, more than usual. Even after Prescott and Cooper are signed, this team will still have near $30 million in cap room to use. I think they will.

ultron

Reaction score
I really like Phillips.

But we will see how this team approaches FA. will we be shopping for Covington’s and Hyders or going after Jones and Phillips
I think I'd take the approach that the packers took last year with Z'darius and Preston smith - those 2 completely changed the Packers defense

Carson

Reaction score
I think given the urgency (that led to hiring a vet NFL head coach). The changes in coaches and philosophy, and the number of free agents and holes on defense, I'm expecting to see some spending this year, more than usual. Even after Prescott and Cooper are signed, this team will still have near $30 million in cap room to use. I think they will.

I hope so! Will be nice to see us being active in FA again. Always stinks picking up scrap heaps at the end of FA!

Look what the jump did for the Packers being active in free agency this last offseason

I think I'd take the approach that the packers took last year with Z'darius and Preston smith - those 2 completely changed the Packers defense

Great minds think alike! I literally just posted this.

Smith, Smith, Amos and Turner have turned things around quickly there

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have a gut feeling that Ashawn Robinson would be very good in the new defense, especially plugging the run. Draft Javon Kinlaw to play next to him and things are looking really good in the middle. Resign Collins as a rotational pass rusher to go along with Woods as backups and things are looking up.
I like Robinson, but he is probably a run down only guy. With Collins, he is more of scheme player and I dont know if he will fit what he run. I think a platoon of Robinson and Collins could work, but I think Collins may be too expensive to retain as a rotational player. He is an adequate starter, and a good pressure player. A team running an a gap penetration based scheme may be willing to give him starter money. Never underestimate teams willingness to overpay for DL

ultron

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys know but Maliek Collins is a UFA and Antwan Woods is a RFA

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We do.

I dont think they bring Collins back. He is too scheme specific, and I think a team running a gap penetration based scheme may offer him way more than we are willing to pay.

Carson

Reaction score

Correct.

What we all hope for is a solid rotation.

3T - Draft / FA
1T - Draft / FA

Hill, Woods, Covington cheap depth

Rayman70

Reaction score
woods didn't play well. Collins...same thing. We need to purge them from the roster. Covington has the size and should stay. He played better than the other 2.

ultron

Reaction score
Updated list from a better source (in my opinion) https://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/freeagents2020DT.php

DT:
1.) Chris Jones (26)
2.) DJ Reader (26)
3.) Leonard Williams (DE/DT) (26)
4.) Javon Hargrave (27)
5.) Arik Armstead (DE/DT) (26)

S:
1.) Anthony Harris (28)
2.) Justin Simmons (26)
3.) Jimmie Ward (29)
4.) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (27)
5.) Adrian Phillips (28)

Carson

Reaction score
Updated list from a better source (in my opinion) https://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/freeagents2020DT.php

DT:
1.) Chris Jones (26) - Likely out of our price range
2.) DJ Reader (26) - Exactly what our defense needs
3.) Leonard Williams (DE/DT) (26) - Likely to return to the Giants
4.) Javon Hargrave (27) - Another would love to have
5.) Arik Armstead (DE/DT) (26) - Love his game. Don’t see him leaving SF though

S:
1.) Anthony Harris (28) - About to get paid
2.) Justin Simmons (26) - Don’t think he’s leaving Denver
3.) Jimmie Ward (29) - Loved him out of college. Injured too often for me
4.) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (27) - Not the biggest splash. But I would take it.
5.) Adrian Phillips (28) - Really enjoy his game. Can play any position in the secondary

If we walk away with a guy like Reader / Hargraves and HaHa / Phillips it’s an automatic A+ for me

Armstead is my favorite. But just can’t break the bank on one guy

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah it’s not with two premium picks.
If we can get down to a 1 and a 4, that may be something.

Fitzpatrick went for a 1, and right now he is probably the better player. Granted he wasnt when he was traded

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we can get down to a 1 and a 4, that may be something.

Fitzpatrick went for a 1, and right now he is probably the better player. Granted he wasnt when he was traded
Oh yeah I think he’s worth two premium picks based on where he was drafted but I’m not buying high on a disgruntled player. Especially one that’s going to break the bank.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Oh yeah I think he’s worth two premium picks based on where he was drafted but I’m not buying high on a disgruntled player. Especially one that’s going to break the bank.
As times goes by, the price has to come down based on contract control. Cooper should be the max of what we would be willing to give up IMO. And WR's are far more valuable

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Resign Collins as a rotational pass rusher

He isn't even good enough as an every-down DT, why would we re-sign him?

When free agency starts, some dumb team will ink him to a contract more than he deserves because they think he is better than he is.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He isn't even good enough as an every-down DT, why would we re-sign him?

When free agency starts, some dumb team will ink him to a contract more than he deserves because they think he is better than he is.

I don't understand some of the fans here constantly hyping up Collins, he is so inconsistent.

I just wonder if it's their "we can out draft everyone else" false narrative?

Absolutely let some other team overpay for Collins.

If Stephen stopped pretending cap room dollars get added to his annual salary and lived up to his claim that we can do whatever we want with cap room, I'd love to see us add free agents (Nose Tackle) DJ Reader and (Free Safety) Justin Simmons. They aren't household names but they would instantly improve our defense.