Top 5 Free agent DTs and Safeties

phildadon86

Reaction score
Greg Zeurline is my top priority. I don’t want to fear field goals anymore

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
It's no secret that the Cowboys could use a major upgrade at these two positions in particular.

This list is according to: https://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2020-nfl-free-agents-list/

Defensive Tackles:
1.) DJ Reader (27)
2.) Javon Hargrave (27)
3.) Gerald McCoy (32)
4.) Ndamukong Suh (33)
5.) Andrew Billings (24)

Safeties:
1.) Justin Simmons (26)
2.) Anthony Harris (28)
3.) Devin McCourty (33)
4.) Ha Ha Clinton Dix (27)
5.) Tre Boston (28)
Of the DTs sign DJ Reader, also sign a decent rotation piece at the same position, and make a move up for Kinlaw if he falls within a few picks of Dallas in the draft.
Wouldn't mind signing McCourty or Dix at all at S.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That's not true, Dallas has a TON of cap space - granted Dak will take up some of that & I'm sure they'll bring back Amari (if he wants to play here) but even after those signings they'll still have significant cap space (currently $81 million) https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

And if the Cowboys start signing high priced free agents what money do they use to resign the 25 UFA they will have this off season? For every big name big money free agents they sign means 2 or 3 of the UFA don't get signed. Now some of the UFA are backups but play important roles on special teams. that will mean that the Cowboys will have to hit it perfect on all draft picks and sign a bunch of undrafted free agents because they didn't have the money to sign their UFA because of the big dollar big free agents they signed. That will also seriously affect depth in many if not all positions so we'll have to pray that there's no injuries to any of the starters next season. Also I remember one year the skins went out and signed biggest free agents on defense they could find like Bruce Smith, Dan Wilkinson and Dana Stubblefield and that defense actually ended up ranked lower that year than the previous year because even though they had these big name talents they couldn't play together as a team.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
That's not true, Dallas has a TON of cap space - granted Dak will take up some of that & I'm sure they'll bring back Amari (if he wants to play here) but even after those signings they'll still have significant cap space (currently $81 million) https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap/

Dak and cooper will take like 30-40 of that at least. Then dallas has 27 other spots to fill. They have no cap space really.

Sully

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Clinton Ha-Ha Dix is with Dallas. Was with McCarthy at GB

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
better off drafting a good safety. I am all in on DJ READER. He fits our needs and wont come with baggage.
I don't get people's infatuation with trading a premium pick for a Strong Safety.

I would look for a mid tier free agent SS and if they want to trade away a 1st, then use it on a DL or ballhawk CB or TE...

ultron

Reaction score
And if the Cowboys start signing high priced free agents what money do they use to resign the 25 UFA they will have this off season? For every big name big money free agents they sign means 2 or 3 of the UFA don't get signed. Now some of the UFA are backups but play important roles on special teams. that will mean that the Cowboys will have to hit it perfect on all draft picks and sign a bunch of undrafted free agents because they didn't have the money to sign their UFA because of the big dollar big free agents they signed. That will also seriously affect depth in many if not all positions so we'll have to pray that there's no injuries to any of the starters next season. Also I remember one year the skins went out and signed biggest free agents on defense they could find like Bruce Smith, Dan Wilkinson and Dana Stubblefield and that defense actually ended up ranked lower that year than the previous year because even though they had these big name talents they couldn't play together as a team.

Special teams lol, the whole special teams needs to be revamped as well. In addition, the cap usually increases $5-$10million a year and they can restructure contracts to make room for whatever they want to do. Mark my words - the Cowboys will be VERY active in free agency this off season and they are sitting pretty as far as cap space goes - for the first time in a long time.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Teams win in this league with the caliber of players like Woods all the time. It’s called coaching. You can’t have “great” at every spot. It’s unrealistic. You look at your roster and you try to improve it the best as you possibly can. You need a whole safety and then you need some back ups.
That's true, but we are all still operating under the idea that Garrett is still the head coach, hasn't sunk in yet he is actually gone.

Therefore, we still think we need all-pros at every position. :laugh:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's true, but we are all still operating under the idea that Garrett is still the head coach, hasn't sunk in yet he is actually gone.

Good point lol. We gotta get out of that mindset. People argued me down yesterday saying we should’ve took a linemen instead of Zeke. Glad we don’t need to invest 5 first rounders on that unit anymore.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Special teams lol, the whole special teams needs to be revamped as well. In addition, the cap usually increases $5-$10million a year and they can restructure contracts to make room for whatever they want to do. Mark my words - the Cowboys will be VERY active in free agency this off season and they are sitting pretty as far as cap space goes - for the first time in a long time.

I agree with you that this is the most cap space the Cowboys have had since the cap was started BUT the Cowboys have gotten smarter over the years and learned that restructuring contracts is just adding dead money down the road and have greatly reduced doing that. Every year there are people here who guarantee the Cowboys will do whatever it takes to be big spenders in free agency and every year it doesn't happen so excuse me if I doubt they will this year. Oh and yes special teams needs work just like the defense does. The amount of cap space estimated now and every year prior to the official amount is usually pretty close to the final amount because they take into consideration the amount of projected increase.

Sydla

Reaction score
The hatred towards Clinton Dix is bizarre.

He's a good S. Not a great one mind you, but he's pretty good. Certainly better than what we have.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The hatred towards Clinton Dix is bizarre.

He's a good S. Not a great one mind you, but he's pretty good. Certainly better than what we have.
Based on what? His name? When we played against him in Washington i saw all i needed to see. He wasnt much in chicago either and he played next to an all pro

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

At no time have I ever thought the Cowboys needed all-pros at every position because there's never been a team that has. That's just a lame excuse you're using because you didn't like Garrett.