Twitter: Top 5 QB's in Cowboys history according to Brandt, Sham, Laufenberg, etc

Scotman

Reaction score
Staubach, Aikman, Romo, Meredith, White, Dak.

Staubach and Aikman should be in everyone's top two. Romo was an amazing QB in my opinion. Looking back, I think he played for one of the worst and longest tenured coaches in the NFL. I think Romo is part of the reason JG kept his job as long as he did. If someone swapped Romo and Meredith because of Romo's lack of success in the playoffs, I'd understand that. Meredith had several trips to the probowl and took the team to the NFC championship game several times. He was also the NFL player of the year in 1966. White was a less exciting and charismatic player than Meredith. His best accomplishment was winning enough games to ruin out draft picks without getting to the big dance. LOL

I've bought in to Dak, but he's in the middle of his career. His body of work isn't complete, so I can't really rank him above any of the others. He could get much higher, but he hasn't yet. If his career ended today, he'd clearly be ranked below all of those quarterbacks.

Brax

Reaction score
3ov9k0-Hj-HDl-Q6p-Uedi.gif
Talking to your therapist will definitely help you, thanks for sharing that and I hope the best for you..

John813

Reaction score
I'm not a pro or anti Romo/Dak poster but it's odd Romo was left off the top 5. Sure, he didn't win anything but he set the records for quite a few QB stats for a team that has had riches in that category. I know eras are different but Romo was a good QB for this team, and only 2 of the 5 QB's on that list actually won a ring.

Dak's career is far from over and I believe he can lead this team deep into the playoffs but it feels odd to include him with only 4 years of play onto the list.

erod

Reaction score
If you go by the QBs themselves outside of how good the teams they played for or not were, I'd rank them like this:

1. Roger Staubach

2. Tony Romo

3. Don Meredith

4. Troy Aikman

5. Danny White

6. Steve Buerlein

7. Dak Prescott

8. Craig Morton

9. Randall Cunningham

10. Eddie LeBaron

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The ignorance on this Cowboys board of how good Danny White actually was is baffling. I think its because of the younger generation that never had the honor to see him play. They have an intrinsic lack of information about things that existed before they were born.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'm not a pro or anti Romo/Dak poster but it's odd Romo was left off the top 5. Sure, he didn't win anything but he set the records for quite a few QB stats for a team that has had riches in that category. I know eras are different but Romo was a good QB for this team, and only 2 of the 5 QB's on that list actually won a ring.

Dak's career is far from over and I believe he can lead this team deep into the playoffs but it feels odd to include him with only 4 years of play onto the list.
Franchises are remembered for they're SB stats then playoffs

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can't link the article b/c it's from the ant-CZ newspaper in Dallas, but the paper assembled a panel of Gil Brandt, Babe Laufenberg, Brad Sham and Kevin Sherrington to assemble a list of the top 5 QBs in Cowboys history. Here was their list:

Oh please... Not Dak. He maybe worth us getting him a contract but all time top 5.

What about Haley? Or Randy white? Or emmitt? Or Irvin..

Seriously. They are just shock jocks looking for audience response.

John813

Reaction score
Franchises are remembered for they're SB stats then playoffs

Franchise QBs?

Sure, outside of a select few that never won it but are/were loved by their fans.

I'm fine if someone views White over Romo for getting to the NFCC game 3 times. But as of now Romo has a "lead" over Dak for playoff wins. Something Dak should surpass hopefully by next year.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only nut jobs think Dak is great he chokes before the playoffs.
Romo got to the playoffs less frequently than Dak did.

Not really a stand alone point of comparison anyway.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Where is that 100 likes button. Tremendous post. Played with a punctured lung. How could you not want to go to war with Dandy Don?
Very similar situation to what Romo had in the three 8-8 years. Hike the ball and run for your life. Always beat up with something busted or broken--including a punctured lung, etc.
But Don was a tough SOB. Barely completed half his passes and had about as many picks as TDs, but the man was good and played under some tough situations.
He'd make my top 5

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hahaha. Well, all have accomplished more than Romo.

Team accomplishments are not allowed by Dak fans unless it benefits Dak in the argument.

If the team accomplishment is against him then they like to point to his 2019 stats where he inflated his numbers against the Giants and Commanders.

DFWJC

Reaction score

fwiw
The first 4 years starting, Romo (and team) got there 3 years and Dak 2 years.
But after those initial 4 years, Dallas' roster with Romo was old as porous...especially that oline and defense.
I like Dallas' roster now going forward better for Dak.
I suspect he eventually ends up getting to playoffs at a higher rate, and hopefully going deeper in the playoffs.
:flagwave:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Romo was everything to those teams outside of 07 and 14.

Plus.. Romo just has more skill then Dak will ever have.

Dak is going to play a conservative brand of football and hope the team around him elevates the Cowboys to a victory.

Romo was a 1 man army for most of his career.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was everything to those teams outside of 07 and 14.

Plus.. Romo just has more skill then Dak will ever have.

Dak is going to play a conservative brand of football and hope the team around him elevates the Cowboys to a victory.

Romo was a 1 man army for most of his career.
There are differences, which is why I said playoffs aren't a stand alone point of comparison.

As for Dak being more conservative, that was much less the case last year - the offense opened up much more. But obviously Dak and the overall offense wasn't as consistent as it needed to be, so that is the challenge for the offensive coaching staff going into this season.

Interestingly enough, perhaps Romo's best season was 2014 where the team relied much less on the Romo carrying the team with his arm and much more on the running game.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

Romo made the playoffs 3 out of his first 4 years starting, Dak did not. That’s the only valid comparison. Anything else would be a projection because Dak has only played four seasons.
Romo’s teams made the playoffs 4 out of 8 times in seasons where he started the majority of the games.

starfan1

Reaction score
admittedly I was not a huge romo guy until later in his career when his body cashed in. That said no way is Dak Prescott in the top 5 conversation. As much as I like Dak hes not. Hes nowhere near as bad as some on this site make him out to be but top 5 no way

and any top 2 that dont begin with Roger and Troy IMO is way off put the stats aside for Romo. They were garbage time :muttley: Just stirring the pot a little. Romo was a toss up between him and White for 3rd or 4th.