Twitter: Top 5 QB's in Cowboys history according to Brandt, Sham, Laufenberg, etc

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo made the playoffs 3 out of his first 4 years starting, Dak did not. That’s the only valid comparison. Anything else would be a projection because Dak has only played four seasons.
Romo’s teams made the playoffs 4 out of 8 times in seasons where he started the majority of the games.
Dak made it 2 out of the 4 years, so it's not as if there is a glaring difference. But you are right that I am just talking about the current pace, but we don't know that the current pace will hold up over time. Or pick up over time. Only time will tell.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, perhaps Romo's best season was 2014 where the team relied much less on the Romo carrying the team with his arm and much more on the running game.

2014 was our best chance but his contract at the end of the day hurt our ability to sign defenders and we couldn't stop Rodgers.

It's going to be the same thing here for awhile.

Keep trying to build the 90's triplets on offense and have a bunch of Free Agent scrubbs on defense.

I'm happy for D.Ware going to the Broncos and getting his ring but we could've used him @ GB.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’d swap White and Meredith, otherwise it’s a good ranking. Romo did absolutely nothing during his career with some talented teams around him....
:omg::lmao:
ok. You're entitled to an opinion

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I actually have no issue with Dak at 5 but i would probably have Romo at 3 and White at 4 possibly switching those 2, White never gets the credit he deserves. The guy i would not have on the list is Merideth, he was a very talented QB but he quit on his team and the Cowboys at a young age because he couldn't take the critisism that came with the position. He walked out on the Cowboys

Yep, Meredith is way overrated on this list. He's just remembered fondly because he was the first Cowboy's QB to enjoy some success with the franchise.

1. Roger Staubach
2. Troy Aikman
3. Danny White
4. Tony Romo
5. Dak Prescott

Is my current order. If Prescott continues on his path and wins a Super Bowl he can easily work his way up. White gets the nod over Romo for at least getting the Cowboys deep in the playoffs a number of times. Otherwise their careers have felt fairly similar. Very good QB, that can't get over the hump.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't link the article b/c it's from the ant-CZ newspaper in Dallas, but the paper assembled a panel of Gil Brandt, Babe Laufenberg, Brad Sham and Kevin Sherrington to assemble a list of the top 5 QBs in Cowboys history. Here was their list:

Old timer syndrome.

Romo was hands down better than Danny White and I watched every game that White played for the Cowboys.

Dak is also better than Danny White.

Aikman with Jimmy as HC and Irvin/Novacek as receivers might have been the best QB in NFL history with regards to best chance of winning.

Aikman in Romo's situation would have failed. Aikman could not have functioned with Dez as the #1 WR and with Phil Costa types on the OL.

Romo would not have been as good as Aikman in Aikman's situation but Romo would have been much more highly rated than he is now if he had. Romo might have had better stats but would not have been better. Aikman is the most accurate QB in history.

quickccc

Reaction score
LOL .... wow

No Tony " Jedi Knight " Romo on that tweeter list ?,... Shame on ya'll !....:p

quickccc

Reaction score
1 Roger Staubach
2 Troy Aikman
3 Tony Romo
4 Dak Prescott
5 Don Meredith

I’m so very thankful for YouTube posted Cowboys games, especially those of the past decades- gives me a much more better of chance of close up studying the White, Meredith, Staubach of yester years
that I was way too young and before my time.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
5. Dak Prescott??? they gotta be kidding?

0666haY.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO, why have 5? So they can get a Romo v Prescott thing going? They can stop at 3 and those are the 3, Meredith had to deal with an expansion franchise in the good old days when they sucked for 3-5 years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Old timer syndrome.

Romo was hands down better than Danny White and I watched every game that White played for the Cowboys.

Dak is also better than Danny White.

Aikman with Jimmy as HC and Irvin/Novacek as receivers might have been the best QB in NFL history with regards to best chance of winning.

Aikman in Romo's situation would have failed. Aikman could not have functioned with Dez as the #1 WR and with Phil Costa types on the OL.

Romo would not have been as good as Aikman in Aikman's situation but Romo would have been much more highly rated than he is now if he had. Romo might have had better stats but would not have been better. Aikman is the most accurate QB in history.

I didn’t watch Danny White but I agree with all of that..

We consider Aikman the goat but if we put him behind some Phil Costa lead Olines it would’ve been bad.

Emmitt Smith and the Oline were everything to those teams.

Aikman with time to throw is as lethal as it gets though.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I can't link the article b/c it's from the ant-CZ newspaper in Dallas, but the paper assembled a panel of Gil Brandt, Babe Laufenberg, Brad Sham and Kevin Sherrington to assemble a list of the top 5 QBs in Cowboys history. Here was their list:

Looks good to me. Dak has passed Romo in his first 4 years as for as single season performance (he could have went back in for the record but showed class), never had a losing season, and playoff performance.

People forget Dandy Don Meredith played in 2 NFL Championship games and White went to 3-in a row NFC Championship games which means he got out the wild card and divisional rounds of the playoffs unlike the overrated Romo.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Looks good to me. Dak has passed Romo in his first 4 years as for as single season performance (he could have went back in for the record but showed class), never had a losing season, and playoff performance.

People forget Dandy Don Meredith played in 2 NFL Championship games and White went to 3-in a row NFC Championship games which means he got out the wild card and divisional rounds of the playoffs unlike the overrated Romo.
Dak has literally been worse than Romo in every single way in his first four years. And while you’re babbling about getting out of wild card rounds and divisional rounds... how has Dak done there, troll?
Also Meredith played in 2 championship games while only having 1 playoff win in his career. I’ll let you work out how that happened and see if you’re still as impressed afterwards. Nice troll attempt though.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

Very accurate list. Dak will be number 3 when it’s all over.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Oh please... Not Dak. He maybe worth us getting him a contract but all time top 5.

What about Haley? Or Randy white? Or emmitt? Or Irvin..

Seriously. They are just shock jocks looking for audience response.
well duh me...I missed the part in the title that said top 5 QBs. regardless I wouldn't yet put Dak on there....In fact I would put Danny White ahead of him as he took the team to three straight NFCCG. he was very under rated

Staubach
Aikman
Morton
White
Meredith
Romo
Dak

sean10mm

Reaction score
I really think its too early to rank Dak against guys who actually had full careers.
  1. Staubach. He put the team on the map in a brutally competitive era. He was the most efficient passer of his era AND a threat to run. He retired with a better passer rating than Aikman in spite of playing most of his career in the league's dead ball era. We call the Hail Mary the Hail Mary because of him. He's on the NFL 100 All-Time Team.
  2. Aikman. Revisionist history has not been kind to him, but at some point you have to judge players on what they actually accomplished, and not what you think somebody else could have accomplished instead (but didn't.) He's a Hall of Famer, he has 3 rings, and his 3 Super Bowl runs were as good a run of postseason football as anybody has had, period - in 9 games he had 8 with a passer rating over 100, which is just insane. He also tied Staubach for Pro Bowls (6). NFL 100 All-Time Team finalist.
  3. Romo - See below.
  4. White - Flip 3 & 4 if you want and I don't really have a lot of heartburn over it. Neither of them got over the hump in the postseason. Romo started a lot more games than White, had better stats even adjusting for era, and played for absolute trash tier coaches outside of 1 seasons with Parcells. White played for a slam dunk Hall of Fame coach on some really strong rosters, and even his worst teams weren't as bad as some of those 2010-2013 trash fires Romo was saddled with during what should have been his prime years.
  5. Meredith. Fewer playoff appearances and wins than any of the above players. Worse regular season win %. Fewer outstanding regular seasons (basically just 1966 and 1968.) Tough as nails and a sentimental favorite for obvious reasons, but objectively it's hard to rank Dandy Don higher. On the upside, he acted in an absolutely bonkers TV show called SUPERTRAIN (seriously, google it, they tried to make The Love Boat on a NUCLEAR POWERED BULLET TRAIN)

RS12

Reaction score
Very similar situation to what Romo had in the three 8-8 years. Hike the ball and run for your life. Always beat up with something busted or broken--including a punctured lung, etc.
But Don was a tough SOB. Barely completed half his passes and had about as many picks as TDs, but the man was good and played under some tough situations.
He'd make my top 5
They played defense when Don played in comparison to what Romo faced. I have been watching some old games and highlights from the 60s and 70s lately on YouTube. The thing the immediately jumps out is the head hunting and other stuff defenses got away with on virtually every play. Today's football is basketball on grass.