Top Five Small College Pro Prospects for NFL Draft ‘05

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Ahead of the Curve -

Ahead of the Curve is a new syndicated football column by Frank Coyle that will cover NFL and College football year round. It will appear in different national
publications and on web sites periodically over the course of the year.

10/9/04

This column appeared in USA Today on Wed. Oct. 6th.

Top Five Small College Pro Prospects for NFL Draft ‘05

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->

#1 Ronald Bartell – CB - 6’1” 195 lbs. - Howard
Talented senior corner has outstanding triangle numbers that is beginning to convert to big play ability on the field in pass coverage. He projects to both corner and safety and could be a high selection in April if he displays those skills at a major All-star game.

#2 Brandon Jacobs – RB - 6’2” 245 lbs. - Southern Illinois
Huge running back has dominated the Division 1AA level this season since transferring from Auburn. He displays both power and quickness between the tackles and a terrific goal line runner.

#3 Boomer Grigsby – LB - 6’ 240 lbs.- Illinois St.
Tough instinctive mikeman has been the best defensive player from the lower levels the past two seasons. He runs sideline to sideline and has all the physical and mental abilities to succeed in the NFL on both base defense and special teams.

#4 Adam Bergen – TE - 6’5”255 lbs.- Lehigh
Big agile tight end displays outstanding hands and body control as a receiver and continues to make nice progress as an inline blocker. He is a fast rising player.

#5 Vincent Jackson – WR - 6’5” 245 lbs.- Northern Colorado
Huge receiver has been one of the most productive players in recent memory. He has imposing size with excellent hands and body control, but may outgrow the position and move to TE or H-back at the pro level.

Hailmary

Reaction score
I think I read about this Brandon Jacobs kid before. I realize why he needed to get out of Auburn w/ Williams and Brown ahead of him, but transferring to division II makes little sense to me. Is it because you don't have to sit out a year when you transfer to division II? Still, I would think it would make more sense to sit out a year and transfer to a competitve division I school. I would think coming out of a division II school will seriously hurt his chances in the draft.